The all new Continental Dual Mono
Feb 29, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #1,336 of 2,712
To each their own, but I prefer the Mullards over the Sonotones. Cheers

No argument there, my comment was taking into account a second hidden fact: the Mullards are very hard to find...

Feb 29, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #1,337 of 2,712

No argument there, my comment was taking into account a second hidden fact: the Mullards are very hard to find...

Unfortunately that is exactly right. I've played with the stock tubes, the Sonotones and the Mullards and like the Sonontones better than the stock and the Mullards better than the Sonotones. But if the Mullards are not to be found (think I got one of Ken's last sets) the Sonotones are the best to be had. Cheers 

Mar 12, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #1,338 of 2,712
Hello guys! Just joined in the CDM gang. I have a question, not sure if any of you guys are able to help. I've been using a Sony PHA-3 with a balanced cable (dual 3.5mm). Are there any adaptors that will take in the dual 3.5mm and connect it to the 2.5mm balanced output in the CDM? Where am I able to purchase it?

It would probably look something like this (screengrab from a chinese site):

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Mar 12, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #1,339 of 2,712
I don't know about getting something off the shelf. I would highly recommend getting a custom cable made to your exacting specs. Ted at headphonelounge.com can make one for you with silver plated OCC cable for a reasonable price.

Mar 15, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #1,341 of 2,712
i appreciate if someone can answer this, i am a big fan of the amazing alo mk3 B amp, and use it with the mojo to power up my oppo pm1

that setup above is the best i have heard, I see ALO stopped the alo mk3 B, which honestly is a great product and has one of the best bass boosts at least from what i tried

Do ALO have plans to bring a new similar model amp with bass boost back?

And how does the bass on the dual mono compare to the alo mk3B with bass fully dialed in

Honestly I will be the first to buy another alo amp with bass boost and i am surprised they stopped that gem amp and removed and did not consider adding bass boost to their dual mono

finally just in case is there any other amp like alo mk3 B with bass boost that is comparable , as i decided i will not buy an amp that does not have bass boost as an option

Mar 16, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #1,342 of 2,712
mmm......I can't speak for the Mk3 but with the CDM, bass is dependent on the tube that you use  but don't expect huge swings. So for bass, you have to do it on your DAP via EQ or in-ear/headphone-side  (examples:  bass adjuster on the Layla, the filters of the SE 846 or AKG 3003i or the  Sennheiser HD 630 VB with its bass  rotary dial).

Mar 16, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #1,343 of 2,712
  mmm......I can't speak for the Mk3 but with the CDM, bass is dependent on the tube that you use  but don't expect huge swings. So for bass, you have to do it on your DAP via EQ or in-ear/headphone-side  (examples:  bass adjuster on the Layla, the filters of the SE 846 or AKG 3003i or the  Sennheiser HD 630 VB with its bass  rotary dial).

yeah well I do not like iems with bass dials as I already have one and its not fun to do it with a screw everytime I want to change the bass.

So i guess there is no other amp with bass boost is more powerful than the alo mk3 B and has an amaizng bass boost, that sucks!!!

Mar 17, 2016 at 1:30 AM Post #1,344 of 2,712

yeah well I do not like iems with bass dials as I already have one and its not fun to do it with a screw everytime I want to change the bass.

So i guess there is no other amp with bass boost is more powerful than the alo mk3 B and has an amaizng bass boost, that sucks!!!

Just FYI, Lime Ears do an IEM with a little switch on each unit that kicks in some extra bass (or indeed takes it away as needed). It's quite a robust switch so would withstand daily use.
I have the Earsonics Velvets which need a little screwdriver, and I tend to leave it alone.

Mar 17, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #1,345 of 2,712
Just FYI, Lime Ears do an IEM with a little switch on each unit that kicks in some extra bass (or indeed takes it away as needed). It's quite a robust switch so would withstand daily use.
I have the Earsonics Velvets which need a little screwdriver, and I tend to leave it alone.

It's the Lime Ears Aether and it's sublime.

Mar 17, 2016 at 4:01 AM Post #1,346 of 2,712

It's the Lime Ears Aether and it's sublime.

That's the one. Almost bought a pair. Great sound.

Mar 17, 2016 at 4:25 AM Post #1,347 of 2,712
The funny thing is I often end up using the CDM (on Mullards) to give some of my monitors a bit of extra bass
Shows again how preferences can be very different :)

Mar 20, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #1,349 of 2,712
The V5 look very nice, is this still a Co-design with Vinnie?

Mar 20, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #1,350 of 2,712
Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back