The all new Continental Dual Mono
Nov 1, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #1,156 of 2,712
Just changed tubes to the Sonotone 5719 (single triode). Best sound I have ever heard out of any of my gear, including the fantastic Chord Hugo (for which I remain a massive advocate and rules for certain music - no doubt the Mojo too).

Wide soundstage; incredible rendering of instruments (mostly rock / Americana / blues / country-type tunes for me, plus a bit of funky stuff); you can hear the pick attack or fingers on guitar strings; great kick drums and nice crisp hi-hat and crash cymbals; fat but still punchy bass; warm but still crisp vocals. I'm sure I've heard a couple of things on tracks for the first time (probably new toy syndrome so pinch of salt).

As we know at this level, there is almost certainly a load of lucky synergy going on here, so FTR, here's the signal chain:
IP6 running Tidal > Apple CCK (always the weak link) > Moon Audio (Silver Dragon?) USB - mini USB > CDM (high gain setting) > Effect Audio 8-braid, single ended cable > Earsonics Velvets.

The difference is like the first time I swapped a single-ended IEM cable for a balanced one on my little AK120 + Glove A1 combo. It honestly sounds that much more open and separated.

Audition tracks:
Jude Cole - "Start the Car" (production style very much of its time, I.e. quite top-endy and not trying to win the loudness war like modern albums. This combo takes the edge off the top end)
Blackberry Smoke - "No Way Back to Eden" (the hand percussion at the beginning sounds fantastic. A modern album but with incredibly trebly production. This combo just warmed it up).
Eric Church - "Jack Daniels"
TFDI - "Slow It Down"
Jason Isbell - "Elephant"
The New Basement Tapes - "When I Get My Hands On You" (the hiss is on the original track!)
Daft Punk - "Get Lucky"
Gramatik - "Just Jammin'"

Obviously YMMV but my order of tubes preference so far is:
Sonotone 5719 single triode (don't forget to get the left and right tubes on the correct side)
Stock Sylvania 6111WA dual triode (tubes can go either side)
Sylvania 6021 brown label dual triode (bought after reading Lieven's fantastic headfonia article where they tested a bunch of tubes. Great example of YMMV and synergy, as I didn't like them as much as the stock tubes).

I have a couple of others to try at some stage, but leaving these in for now.

I've swapped mine to the Sonotones too. Loving them. By the way, I didn't pay attention to the L R configuration. What happens if one were to set incorrectly? I'm too lazy to reopen up the set to check.:) will it cause phase inversion or no sound? Thanks

Nov 1, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #1,157 of 2,712
I've swapped mine to the Sonotones too. Loving them. By the way, I didn't pay attention to the L R configuration. What happens if one were to set incorrectly? I'm too lazy to reopen up the set to check.
smily_headphones1.gif
will it cause phase inversion or no sound? Thanks

50 percent chance you plugged them in correctly!
wink.gif

Nov 1, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #1,159 of 2,712
And 50% chance it was installed incorrectly.

If they are installed incorrectly I guess there is no sound and possible damage to the amp. So in this case it seems that he has been lucky with his 50% chance....

Nov 1, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #1,160 of 2,712
mmm.....dual triode installed incorrectly = damaged tubes. Single triode = switchable. . Backread a bit the CDM tube rolling thread. That already happened to a fellow member. Don't be lazy. Do it right everytime.

Nov 2, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #1,161 of 2,712
Hust
mmm.....dual triode installed incorrectly = damaged tubes. Single triode = switchable. . Backread a bit the CDM tube rolling thread. That already happened to a fellow member. Don't be lazy. Do it right everytime.

For clarity - it's the single triode tubes that have to go on the correct side. With the dual triodes it doesn't matter.

Nov 3, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #1,163 of 2,712
I cannot overstate the enjoyment I'm getting from the Sonotones. They are such a good mix of warmth - improving any trebly mixes on songs or albums - and instrument separation (with every mix).

I may have fitted them a bit clumsily as I notice that if the CDM takes a gentle knock (eg against a table top) I get a rather unpleasant hissing through my IEMs for a few seconds, then they settle down again. And the music sounds, well musical, so I can live with it.

Having said that, I think the Hugo is arguably a better travel companion as it's less sensitive to knocks and smartphone interference (I'm not putting my iP6 into airplane mode every time I want to listen to music for a short period of time) and much better battery life. But again, the CDM just sounds fantastic with these tubes. And as a guitar player I'm used to tube/valve amps being fussier than transistors or digital, so it comes with the territory.

Nov 5, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #1,167 of 2,712

Quote:

If he doesn't reply to my email within 3 days, I'm choosing a new winner 
wink.gif

Good, b/c I was going to demand a recount! 
.... er, ask very politely for one anyway .....
.... or just say nothing at all
.... :)

Nov 17, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #1,170 of 2,712
got my CDM today!
unbelievable! hooked it up to my AK 120II, single ended though, waiting for my balanced interconnect. can't wait to go fully balanced.

For what it's worth, one of my single ended cables sounds better than either of my balanced ones (and I'm a fan of balanced).
Glad you're enjoying the CDM. Awesome bit of kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back