The all new Continental Dual Mono
Oct 18, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #1,142 of 2,704
Tassardar,

The input voltage of the CDM should not exceed 2.8v.

Thanks

Ken 

Thanks! That pretty much explains the strange clipping. Probably down the volumn a few notch to solve the issue.

Oct 18, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #1,143 of 2,704
I just got the Questyle QP1R to pair with my JHAudio Roxannes. Have I made a good decision? I will not receive the Roxanne for a few weeks but the QP1R should be he Wednesday. Any thoughts?

You're better off asking that question in the Questyle DAP thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/751140/questyle-qp1

And here's a review with a bunch of IEMs compared. The Roxanne isn't specifically mentioned, but you should be able to draw some conclusions from the post.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/778877/review-questyle-audio-qp1r-with-multiple-headphone-and-iem-pairings

Oct 18, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #1,144 of 2,704
On a note, zx2->mojo->cdm is totally fantastic. warm, smooth and energetic sound

Oct 23, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #1,145 of 2,704
I've got some new tubes from ALO and want to try switching them for the stock ones.
As someone who is utterly cack-handed at this stuff, I'll obviously be watching the ALO vid on how to do it.

One quick question, does it matter that I don't have an anti static band? Is there anything one should do to reduce static without it? (And yes, feel free to make jokes about rubbing balloons etc etc before commencing...)

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I went ahead and swapped them out anyway. Well done ALO for having such a cool little video to follow!
For once, I'm happy to say that I really WILL wait for them to "burn in" a bit - literally, as they are mechanical things rather than ones and zeros - but great sound so far. Not a huge difference at first listen but I detect a touch more crispness in the mids (A/B-ing at the speed I work would take so long that I reckon my brain would forget the difference.....sorry).

All good fun. Conclusion: even idiots like me can change the tubes on a CDM.

PS note for anyone switching tubes: you only have to worry about getting the tubes on the correct side (left and right) for single diode tubes (I think green PCB on the bottom of each tube). For dual triode (black PCB on bottom of tube) you can put the tubes on either side.

Oct 29, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #1,151 of 2,704
Hmm weird hahaha. I activated mojo line out mode and fed to cdm with no volume distortion etc? :flushed::flushed:. All I hear is musical bliss?

Do I have to turn down the mojo? Or it's fine to activate mojo in line out mode and use as normal?

Oct 31, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #1,152 of 2,704
Just changed tubes to the Sonotone 5719 (single triode). Best sound I have ever heard out of any of my gear, including the fantastic Chord Hugo (for which I remain a massive advocate and rules for certain music - no doubt the Mojo too).

Wide soundstage; incredible rendering of instruments (mostly rock / Americana / blues / country-type tunes for me, plus a bit of funky stuff); you can hear the pick attack or fingers on guitar strings; great kick drums and nice crisp hi-hat and crash cymbals; fat but still punchy bass; warm but still crisp vocals. I'm sure I've heard a couple of things on tracks for the first time (probably new toy syndrome so pinch of salt).

As we know at this level, there is almost certainly a load of lucky synergy going on here, so FTR, here's the signal chain:
IP6 running Tidal > Apple CCK (always the weak link) > Moon Audio (Silver Dragon?) USB - mini USB > CDM (high gain setting) > Effect Audio 8-braid, single ended cable > Earsonics Velvets.

The difference is like the first time I swapped a single-ended IEM cable for a balanced one on my little AK120 + Glove A1 combo. It honestly sounds that much more open and separated.

Audition tracks:
Jude Cole - "Start the Car" (production style very much of its time, I.e. quite top-endy and not trying to win the loudness war like modern albums. This combo takes the edge off the top end)
Blackberry Smoke - "No Way Back to Eden" (the hand percussion at the beginning sounds fantastic. A modern album but with incredibly trebly production. This combo just warmed it up).
Eric Church - "Jack Daniels"
TFDI - "Slow It Down"
Jason Isbell - "Elephant"
The New Basement Tapes - "When I Get My Hands On You" (the hiss is on the original track!)
Daft Punk - "Get Lucky"
Gramatik - "Just Jammin'"

Obviously YMMV but my order of tubes preference so far is:
Sonotone 5719 single triode (don't forget to get the left and right tubes on the correct side)
Stock Sylvania 6111WA dual triode (tubes can go either side)
Sylvania 6021 brown label dual triode (bought after reading Lieven's fantastic headfonia article where they tested a bunch of tubes. Great example of YMMV and synergy, as I didn't like them as much as the stock tubes).

I have a couple of others to try at some stage, but leaving these in for now.

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #1,153 of 2,704
Just changed tubes to the Sonotone 5719 (single triode). Best sound I have ever heard out of any of my gear, including the fantastic Chord Hugo (for which I remain a massive advocate and rules for certain music - no doubt the Mojo too).

Wide soundstage; incredible rendering of instruments (mostly rock / Americana / blues / country-type tunes for me, plus a bit of funky stuff); you can hear the pick attack or fingers on guitar strings; great kick drums and nice crisp hi-hat and crash cymbals; fat but still punchy bass; warm but still crisp vocals. I'm sure I've heard a couple of things on tracks for the first time (probably new toy syndrome so pinch of salt).

As we know at this level, there is almost certainly a load of lucky synergy going on here, so FTR, here's the signal chain:
IP6 running Tidal > Apple CCK (always the weak link) > Moon Audio (Silver Dragon?) USB - mini USB > CDM (high gain setting) > Effect Audio 8-braid, single ended cable > Earsonics Velvets.

The difference is like the first time I swapped a single-ended IEM cable for a balanced one on my little AK120 + Glove A1 combo. It honestly sounds that much more open and separated.

Audition tracks:
Jude Cole - "Start the Car" (production style very much of its time, I.e. quite top-endy and not trying to win the loudness war like modern albums. This combo takes the edge off the top end)
Blackberry Smoke - "No Way Back to Eden" (the hand percussion at the beginning sounds fantastic. A modern album but with incredibly trebly production. This combo just warmed it up).
Eric Church - "Jack Daniels"
TFDI - "Slow It Down"
Jason Isbell - "Elephant"
The New Basement Tapes - "When I Get My Hands On You" (the hiss is on the original track!)
Daft Punk - "Get Lucky"
Gramatik - "Just Jammin'"

Obviously YMMV but my order of tubes preference so far is:
Sonotone 5719 single triode (don't forget to get the left and right tubes on the correct side)
Stock Sylvania 6111WA dual triode (tubes can go either side)
Sylvania 6021 brown label dual triode (bought after reading Lieven's fantastic headfonia article where they tested a bunch of tubes. Great example of YMMV and synergy, as I didn't like them as much as the stock tubes).

My stock tubes were phillips 6111WA. Are there 2 stock tube versions?

Oct 31, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #1,154 of 2,704
Same thing I think.

Nov 1, 2015 at 6:24 AM Post #1,155 of 2,704

Thank you very much, I'm glad the article which was a lot of work is of use :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back