The all new Continental Dual Mono
Jul 12, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #466 of 2,704
  out of curiosity could a CDM be ordered with the different tubes that run cooler and have better battery life and have those tubes installed in the CDM by ALO?That would go a long way for one like myself who worries about the relatively short battery life

Jibrach,

I was not able to acquire enough of these type of tubes for a stock tube option, only a aftermarket option. They are really rare to find in new and unused condition. All the tubes I bought were new in box unused. I bought a lot of the 6111 Phillips, enough to make the CDM future proof. The single triode ones probably will not last :frowning2: so I dont want people to be angry if we run out.

If you add them to your order I would be happy to install them and of course add the Phillips 6111s uninstalled, yes. Just request to install the 5718 or 5719 in the comment box upon check out.

Thanks

ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Jul 13, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #467 of 2,704
  Jibrach,

I was not able to acquire enough of these type of tubes for a stock tube option, only a aftermarket option. They are really rare to find in new and unused condition. All the tubes I bought were new in box unused. I bought a lot of the 6111 Phillips, enough to make the CDM future proof. The single triode ones probably will not last :frowning2: so I dont want people to be angry if we run out.

If you add them to your order I would be happy to install them and of course add the Phillips 6111s uninstalled, yes. Just request to install the 5718 or 5719 in the comment box upon check out.

Thanks

ken

Good to know.

Any thoughts on how much the sound quality might diminish when using the single triode tubes?

Jul 13, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #470 of 2,704
mmm...time to stock the single triodes. Lol! Mullards plus the 5718 ought to tide me over until the tube rolling from headfonia is published. @KB, the battery for the CDM is 39 bucks, if I recall correctly? In your store, the battery does not seem to be included. I'd like to order an extra battery pack. Can you PM me the instructions on how to add this to cart? tia. There's nothing wrong with my battery, getting around 4 to 5 hours on average which isn't bad but I hate downtime (recharging battery) . So, an extra battery pack will come in handy.

Jul 13, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #472 of 2,704
Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jul 13, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #473 of 2,704
  mmm...time to stock the single triodes. Lol! Mullards plus the 5718 ought to tide me over until the tube rolling from headfonia is published. @KB, the battery for the CDM is 39 bucks, if I recall correctly? In your store, the battery does not seem to be included. I'd like to order an extra battery pack. Can you PM me the instructions on how to add this to cart? tia. There's nothing wrong with my battery, getting around 4 to 5 hours on average which isn't bad but I hate downtime (recharging battery) . So, an extra battery pack will come in handy.

HI Raypin,

I will add it to the accessory page here shortly please stand by.

Thanks

Ken

Jul 13, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #476 of 2,704

10k for a semi portable rig. My oh my.

My thoughts exactly....no criticism of any of the products on their own but to use a CDM WITH a Hugo and a 380....my oh my is right

Jul 13, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #477 of 2,704
mmm......it is not a usd10K system. More like 7k. Here's why: Initial capital outlay: 10K. Assuming: you use the system for 5 years, and then resell the rig for 3K after five years (to account for equipment depreciation), the cost of ownership is actually 7K total. 7k divided by 5 = 1,400 per year or usd3.83 per day for five years, about the cost of a happy meal at Mcdonald's.plus some chewing gums or an HD rental from iTunes. I think I can do without a Happy meal for 5 years. The experience: PRICELESS.

Jul 14, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #478 of 2,704
  mmm......it is not a usd10K system. More like 7k. Here's why: Initial capital outlay: 10K. Assuming: you use the system for 5 years, and then resell the rig for 3K after five years (to account for equipment depreciation), the cost of ownership is actually 7K total. 7k divided by 5 = 1,400 per year or usd3.83 per day for five years, about the cost of a happy meal at Mcdonald's.plus some chewing gums or an HD rental from iTunes. I think I can do without a Happy meal for 5 years. The experience: PRICELESS.

Find me one Head-Fier who has used the same system for 5 years without spending more money. That being said, $10k is only $5k per ear. 
atsmile.gif

Jul 14, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #479 of 2,704
Jeez guys whats all the fuzz with the $$$? You do know this is for a review right?

But even then, if someone who has the moneys wants to spend 10K on a portable setup, why not. Lots of people use the Hugo with the AK DAPs, and lots of people use an external amp with the Hugo (cause they prefer the amps sound). This is just a combination of both and I have to say it sounds sublime.

There are several reasons why I had this setup:

1. I need to test all aspects of a unit.
2. The CDM amp sounds different from the Hugo one
3. Some people wanted to know exactly how this setup sounded.
4. I wanted a cool picture. 
rolleyes.gif

I agree though, one should be very happy already with just the Hugo or the CDM, both are excellent but there's no need to tell other what to do with their money.
Ask a car loving billionaire why he bought that Ferrari, Maserati and Lamborghini and he will tell you: Because I like it and because I can.

Just my 2 cents.

Jul 14, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #480 of 2,704
mmm.....I'm actually looking forward to Headfonia's review of that test rig. I already have the AK 240, Chord Hugo and the CDM. My HE1K will arrive in about two weeks. Why? "Because I can." :) I'm not rich but I'd rather spend my discretionary funds on my headfi hobby/passion rather than buy ______ or _______ or _______.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back