The album/CD/song that made you cry....
Jan 24, 2003 at 12:07 AM Post #61 of 118
Bach: Concerto for Two violins, second movement. I cry every time I hear it played well.

Jan 24, 2003 at 1:51 AM Post #62 of 118
Art Garfunkel - That's All I Know...if you've never heard it, the song is about a couple that's obviously having a lot of trouble. Yet what's really clear to him is that he loves her...and hopes that's enough. Gets me every time I hear it.

Oh....and the theme from Brian's Song.
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2003 at 9:55 AM Post #63 of 118
U2 - One. One of my all-time favorite songs, and for good reason. It's definitely brought tears to my eyes on more than one occasion. While we're on U2...

Bad - hearing the opening synth strains of Bad live is the beginning of an incredibly cathartic experience. It's as if that simple sound triggers the lifting of any weight you might be carrying on your shoulders. An incredibly powerful experience that I won't soon forget.

Billy Joel - Goodnight My Angel (Lullaby) and She's Always A Woman To Me. 'nuff said.

Sarah McLachlan - I Love You, Do What You Have To Do. Came at a rather depressing time in my life...

Jan 25, 2003 at 8:28 PM Post #64 of 118
Quote:

Originally posted by markl

Morrissey--"Bona Drag". Track: "Late Night Maudlin St."

The Smiths-- Just about anything off of "Hatful of Hollow" and select tracks from "Meat is Murder".

Hey, I though Maudlin St. was on the "Viva Hate" album
smily_headphones1.gif

Man, The Smiths had some great stuff. Off the top of my head, some of my favorite tracks are:
The Boy With the Thorn in His Side
Well I Wonder
Bigmouth Strikes Again
Barbarism Begins at Home

Those last 2 tracks aren't really tear-jerkers, but I like them alot anyways.

Lately I've been a real softie for anime soundtracks. Especially "Record of Lodoss War" and "Crest of the Stars"/ "Banner of the Stars". I love that combination of classical instruments/compositions with pop - can't get enough of it! Having a great story (IMO, at least) associated with the great music really amplifies the emotional impact.

Someone else mentioned Devo, and I really like them, but I'd find it extremely troubling if got misty-eyed from their music
biggrin.gif

Mike U.

Jan 26, 2003 at 12:19 AM Post #65 of 118
Tracy Chapman - "The Promise" (f/New Beginning)
Natalie Merchant - "King of May" (f/Ophelia)

Jan 27, 2003 at 2:13 AM Post #66 of 118
Quote:

Originally posted by Nightfall
I apologize for the three consecutive posts, but this entire thread has really caused me to ponder things. I spend a LOT of time on the internet (its when I do my headphone listening too) and I subscribe to many forums, some about computer hardware, some about audio and video equipment, one or two about wine, ale and food, one about literature, etc. etc. and yes, I have WAY too many interests and way too little time.
What I truly wanted to say though is that this particluar thread reminds me of how fortunate I am to have wandered into this forum some time ago. Of all the internet forums that I regularily participate in, this one has become my favorite, and for many reasons. I first came here to get information about headphones, as I had been out of touch with them for MANY years and was doing 90% of my listening while on my pc, and needed the best possible quality/value ratio in that regard. People were very helpful with their responses to my posts, and, over time, I found myself gradually spending more time hee, exploring other topic areas. Having experienced the never ending flaming, offensive behavior and worse in many other places on the net, I am continually struck by the fact that this is a community of truly wonderful people. Its obvious to me every day when I read the many new comments and can appreciate the genuine desire to help, the comarderie, the kindness and the willingness to share knowledge. You come to feel as if you know a number of people who participate here and that you all share a bond that, as this very music topic shows, is about far more than headphones.
Thank you all for allowing me to be a part of the Head-Fi community and for making me think, helping me learn, and ultimately, I expect, contributing to making me a wiser and better person than I was when I came here. JC

My sentiments exactly, and beautifully stated.

Jan 27, 2003 at 2:17 AM Post #67 of 118
DITTO!!!

Jan 27, 2003 at 3:35 AM Post #68 of 118
Well there are quite a few of them, as I am really quite a woose, esp. if "in my cups"

So here's a small sample...

Robin Holcombs 1st. album, I weep freely just about thru the whole thing.

Same with Tim Buckly's "Blue Afternoon"

Same with Nick Drake's "Way to Blue" (great "best of" cd)

Most recently I've found myself tearing up over Hope Sandoval's and the Warm Invention's "Barvarian Fruitbread" cd.

It's all sooooooo sad!
frown.gif

Jan 27, 2003 at 6:01 PM Post #69 of 118
10,000 Maniacs MTV Unplugged: pretty much the whole freakin' album!
Indigo Girls 1200 Curfews: Galileo
CSN&Y Datlight Again: Southern Cross
Van Morrison Moondance: Into the Mystic

I'm a big mush-ball
tongue.gif

Quote:

People were very helpful with their responses to my posts, and, over time, I found myself gradually spending more time here, exploring other topic areas. Having experienced the never ending flaming, offensive behavior and worse in many other places on the net, I am continually struck by the fact that this is a community of truly wonderful people.

Right On!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2003 at 4:39 AM Post #70 of 118
Fricsay's recording of the Verdi Requiem, the live one not the studio one. It was recorded shortly before he died and everyone clearly knew it. It's almost unbearable...

Jan 29, 2003 at 5:02 AM Post #71 of 118
assorted live recordings have gotten me close

Phish - Divided Sky
Phish - You Enjoy Myself
Phish - Reba
Phish - Mike's Groove (Mike's Song > I am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove)
Phish - Slave to the Traffic Light

ABB - Blue Sky is the most joyful song ever
SRV - Lenny
Roy Buchanan - Cause We've Ended As Lovers

and Radiohead - The Bends has gotten me close

Jan 29, 2003 at 5:38 PM Post #72 of 118
I've never cried during music, but a few songs have stirred up many emotions in me

I found the Braveheart soundtrack to be absolutely beautiful and when they slowly played outlawed tunes on outlawed pipes (i think that was the name of the song) during the final 20 min of the movie, I nearly shed a tear.

another soundtrack that was quite moving is actually from a video game. Final Fantasy 3 (Final Fantasy 6 if you count all the non-US versions) had a very moving soundtrack. They digitized an orchestral performance to get the sound for the game and it sounded very good for a video game (amazing for a video game in its time). search online and you will find a website that offers the music to final fantasy 3 in a looping form using the program modplug. When a certain character in the game that you got somewhat close to died, the music just took you lower into a sad state. And as the plot unfolds and you find out sad things about people's past, the music just brings out the best in the game. There's sad music, there's a few songs that stir up anger, a few that stir up happiness, and there's a couple songs that eminate pure regality (i dunno if you can use ity with regal, but oh well).

Jan 29, 2003 at 5:59 PM Post #73 of 118
There are plenty of music pieces that would bring up
tears of joy, sadness, etc.

The ones I remember now:

Beethoven - Symphony No. 9, 4th movement
Beethoven - "Moonlight" piano sonata
Beethoven - Symphony No. 5, entering the last movement - Kleiber/VPO
Chopin - Piano Sonata No. 2 (Marche Funebre)
Handel - The Messiah
Brahms - German Requiem
Saint-Saens - Symphony No. 3 "Organ" - the massed strings
playing, with the quiet organ tones.
Rimsky-Korsakov - Sheherazade - the solo violin passages, Reiner/CSO
Rachmaninov - Piano Concerto No. 2 - Richter/Warsaw NPO
Shubert - Symphony No. 8 "Unfinished" - Sinopoli/Philharmonia - probably the most personal symphony of all times
Mahler - Symphony No. 2 "Ressurection"
Ennio Moricone - the soundtrack for "The Mission" (I was born in that region) - great movie too

OK I'll stop here.

Jan 30, 2003 at 1:54 AM Post #74 of 118
"The Ballad of Mark and Kelly" - If you've never heard it, it's a ****ing tearjerker...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back