The album/CD/song that made you cry....
Sep 24, 2002 at 2:16 AM Post #16 of 118
Quote:

Originally posted by markl

Everything But the Girl-- "Amplified Heart", "Walking Wounded"

These two are both, quote unquote...

Quote:

Crucial album from a crucial period of my life.

"Two star" does me in - the "so go on, and stop listening to me", and the "who am I for christsakes anyway to judge a life this way" parts. As a side note, I also owe all of my stylistic/artistic developments to these two albums.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sarah McLachlan used to do it for me.. especially "Fear".

What really makes me feel like a p*ssy (ha!) is bring up this one among you guys: a Shawn Colvin song that she never performs live due to its emotional content, "Monopoly".

Sep 25, 2002 at 8:18 PM Post #18 of 118
Quote:

Originally posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
eminem - I'm Sorry Mama

Biggie.

Ok, ok, I lied, that was a joke. I can't cry to music.
frown.gif

I really am a sensitive guy though.
wink.gif

Biggie.

edit:

Powerful songs:

pearl jam - black
pearl jam - release
SP - softer songs from mellencollie and the infinite sadness
AIC - and we die young (after Layne died)

Sep 25, 2002 at 9:18 PM Post #19 of 118
I can't cry to music either...

but the closest i came was with these two songs...

Siouxsie and the Banshees - Cry

This Mortal Coil - Alone

Sep 25, 2002 at 11:35 PM Post #20 of 118
Good show, so far chaps. None of you are p*ssy's in my book.
wink.gif

Quote:

Sorry for the perceived thread crap Markl, but the paradox in that statement absolutely cracks me up. I'll remove it if you wish.

He he. I guess in my mind it takes a real man to admit that a song made him cry. But I can see how that was unintentionally funny!

Quote:

"Northern Sky" by Nick Drake

Ooooooh. Great song. MacDEF, how could I have forgotten Nick Drake? The Pink Moon album does it to me for sure.

Quote:

1) Ben Folds - The Luckiest :

OB3ron, "Where's Summer B?" From BFF's first one does it to me. Reminds me of Jennifer S. She had to be seen to be believed.

Quote:

pearl jam - black

"I hope you have a wonderful life, I know you'll be a star". Great choice.

markl

Sep 26, 2002 at 12:58 AM Post #21 of 118
Redshifter:
Quote:

barber - adagio for strings

I'd have to agree that this is a very moving piece! The choral version done by an amazing local choir (Quintessential Vocal Ensemble on CBC Records) does it even more for me! Beautiful, beautiful piece.

Quote:

albinoni - adagio for strings and organ in g minor

If this is anything like Gheorghe Zamfir's "Albinoni's Adagio" on panpipes, it must be another adagio tear-jerker
wink.gif

Sep 28, 2002 at 1:50 AM Post #22 of 118
Pink Floyd: 'Comfortably Numb', 'Wish You Were Here', 'Atom Heart Mother','On the Turning Away','Geat Day For Freedom','Wearing the Inside Out', 'The Final Cut'

Godspeed You Black Emperor!: 'The Dead Flag Blues','Providence'

Led Zeppelin: 'Stairway to Heaven'

London Philharmonic:
"Kasmir: the symphonic led zeppelin"(album)
- 'Stairway to Heaven' and 'All of my Love' are gorgeous
"Us and Them: Symphonic Pink Floyd" (album)
- "Comfortably Numb","Us and Them","Nobody Home"...

The soundtrack from the broadway musical "Ragtime"
- So many emotional songs here

There are so many songs I could continue with...some bring joy, some sadness, some hope....some any/all of the three depending on my listening mood or on the part of the song...the Gladiator score is also a good one to mention....

Ooh...the theme from Schindler's List is good too...it's tough to keep dry eyes listening...and even harder while playing!

Sep 28, 2002 at 5:48 AM Post #23 of 118
1. Brahms: Clarinet Quintet (e.g. Cleveland/Stoltzman)
2. Chopin: Ballade in F minor (e.g. Moravec0
3. Franck: Violin Sonata (e.g. Oistrakh/Richter)

sniff sniff!

I actually got a bit sniffly at a concert recently during the Ravel String Quartet....
redface.gif

Oct 1, 2002 at 12:54 AM Post #26 of 118
Jean-Michel Jarre, "Ethnicolor" (opening note) -- I was in peak anticipation when this album came out (more so than with just about any other album that I can remember, save possibly Garbage v2.0), and I was blown away as soon as I dropped the needle with the first note.

Led Zeppelin, "Rain Song" -- after being bored to tears with this song, after many repeated listens I literally stumbled when I figured out what Jimmy Page was doing with this song. I sat down, listened, and was moved to tears with the brilliance of what he had accomplished.

Roger Waters, "5.11 Am (The Moment of Clarity)" -- this is many fans' least favourite album, yet it is my favourite. Intensely personal, almost psychedelically surreal (it is a sequence of dreams over the course of a very restless night), the climax may seem like a letdown to some, but I think they just don't "get it". I did, on first listen, and was moved to tears at the very end of the album. This track really shouldn't be listened to in isolation from the rest of the album, though.

Mike + the Mechanics, "Living Years" -- just hit a little too close to home with the death of my father. We had some issues that will remain unresolved.

Oct 2, 2002 at 1:01 AM Post #27 of 118
I only know of one song that ever made me cry for no reason. That is Look Away by John Anderson on the Seminole Wind album. Sometimes if my mood is just wrong Paradise by John Prine will do it also.

Oct 4, 2002 at 3:19 AM Post #30 of 118
Quote:

Originally posted by zowie
Baby Elephant Walk

Rock Lobster

The Hustle

Tijuana Taxi

Anything by Devo.

Where's the raise-one-eyebrow icon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back