The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Aug 28, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #4,202 of 4,580
Thanks for the heads up. One guy is bundling them with some upgraded cable and the other is selling them for the same price as MD. There does seem to be a nice set of K702s at a decent price but the special touches on the K7XX are too tempting.

MD charges around $7 for shipping. You can always off a lower price to the seller if you prefer not to wait for the next drop.

Aug 31, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #4,203 of 4,580
  Sounds great!  Thanks for the quick reply Warubozu.

I already Requested them, and Im anxiously awaiting the email.  They already have around 670 Requests, and I think the Red ones just ended within the last couple of days, so hopefully they bust those out ASAP!

beyersmile.png

I'm also holding out for the all black to drop again. In the mean time I'm enjoying the K553 Pro. My plan is the K553 at work and the K7XX at home. I'm a recent AKG convert.

All black K7XX just dropped today https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k7xx-massdrop-first-edition-headphones?referer=BUHJGX

Aug 31, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #4,204 of 4,580

All black K7XX just dropped today https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k7xx-massdrop-first-edition-headphones?referer=BUHJGX

Yep....looks like they will just keep cranking them out (Limited....right). Not a bad thing though. Probably the best $200 you can spend on headphones right now. It just dropped and already 81 have sold. AKG (and Massdrop) are making a killing on these. It's going to end up being AKG's best selling headphone ever.

Aug 31, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #4,205 of 4,580

Yep....looks like they will just keep cranking them out (Limited....right). Not a bad thing though. Probably the best $200 you can spend on headphones right now. It just dropped and already 81 have sold. AKG (and Massdrop) are making a killing on these. It's going to end up being AKG's best selling headphone ever.
can't agree more

Sep 7, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #4,207 of 4,580
Long time lurker here.

I've owned the K7XX for a while now and I'd like to share my brief impression with them. I am hoping someone can address my concerns.

I've been using them on daily basis since I first got them back in July. After running them through plenty hours of pink noises and playing music for almost 150 hours in foobar, I've decided the sound has mostly settled down (since 50 hours in) and should it changes, it'd only be minor technical improvement not the signature itself. 

I'd like to compare it to my Audio Technica AD700 because that's what I have enjoyed immensely before I decided for an upgrade. Needless to say, what peaked my interest in AKG was their praised soundstage and high range frequency. You've probably guessed by now that I'm disappointed with them. I'm running my headphones straight from the Aune X1s (another disappointment of mine).

Tonality wise I'd like to describe the K7XX to be slightly warm with good extension towards the low frequency, however I can only describe the high to be present but without the sweetness of the AD700. Overall the K7XX sounds full to me but doesn't have that deep extension into the highs like the AD700 does, making it quite boring.

Soundstage is again a disappointment compare to the AD700. I can distinguish each instruments or elements better with the K7XX but somehow they just sounded more congested to me, unlike the airy presentation of the AD700. I've read other owners described the soundstage of AD700 to be artificial but I like what comes out from them. Whereas the K7XX just doesn't have the width, depth or height I have anticipated for.

I should note that the K7XX is definitely the more technical, faster sounding headphones, showing more details than AD700. But that did not help me enjoy my music that much either. I suppose this is what analytical sounding means. I was expecting the K7XX to be an overall upgrade coming from the AD700 but sadly that is not the case for me. Should I have a second chance, I'll most probably pick up the AD1000X instead.

Now if anyone can compare their K7XX with the AD series from Audio Technica, I will be very pleased to be proven wrong. Furthermore, please tell me if I could benefit from a dedicated amp as I suspect that is an area I can improve on.

Sep 7, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #4,208 of 4,580
Long time lurker here.

I've owned the K7XX for a while now and I'd like to share my brief impression with them. I am hoping someone can address my concerns.

I've been using them on daily basis since I first got them back in July. After running them through plenty hours of pink noises and playing music for almost 150 hours in foobar, I've decided the sound has mostly settled down (since 50 hours in) and should it changes, it'd only be minor technical improvement not the signature itself. 

I'd like to compare it to my Audio Technica AD700 because that's what I have enjoyed immensely before I decided for an upgrade. Needless to say, what peaked my interest in AKG was their praised soundstage and high range frequency. You've probably guessed by now that I'm disappointed with them. I'm running my headphones straight from the Aune X1s (another disappointment of mine).

Tonality wise I'd like to describe the K7XX to be slightly warm with good extension towards the low frequency, however I can only describe the high to be present but without the sweetness of the AD700. Overall the K7XX sounds full to me but doesn't have that deep extension into the highs like the AD700 does, making it quite boring.

Soundstage is again a disappointment compare to the AD700. I can distinguish each instruments or elements better with the K7XX but somehow they just sounded more congested to me, unlike the airy presentation of the AD700. I've read other owners described the soundstage of AD700 to be artificial but I like what comes out from them. Whereas the K7XX just doesn't have the width, depth or height I have anticipated for.

I should note that the K7XX is definitely the more technical, faster sounding headphones, showing more details than AD700. But that did not help me enjoy my music that much either. I suppose this is what analytical sounding means. I was expecting the K7XX to be an overall upgrade coming from the AD700 but sadly that is not the case for me. Should I have a second chance, I'll most probably pick up the AD1000X instead.

Now if anyone can compare their K7XX with the AD series from Audio Technica, I will be very pleased to be proven wrong. Furthermore, please tell me if I could benefit from a dedicated amp as I suspect that is an area I can improve on.

What are your driving it with? I found that made a huge difference in how my 7xx sounded. I was using an e10k and that wasn't quite doing it for me. Changing to a Schiit modi2/vali stack helped a lot. I now use a Grace m9xx and it sounds great as well.

Sep 7, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #4,209 of 4,580
What are your driving it with? I found that made a huge difference in how my 7xx sounded. I was using an e10k and that wasn't quite doing it for me. Changing to a Schiit modi2/vali stack helped a lot. I now use a Grace m9xx and it sounds great as well.

Aune X1s, it's a solid state dac/amp combo. I suppose with fair amount of effort, the tonality can be tuned through EQ. My biggest grip is with the congested soundstage.

Would you mind describing the difference in soundstage when using the different setups? Perhaps I can switch things up and see how the K7XX fares.

Sep 7, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #4,210 of 4,580
  Aune X1s, it's a solid state dac/amp combo. I suppose with fair amount of effort, the tonality can be tuned through EQ. My biggest grip is with the congested soundstage.

Would you mind describing the difference in soundstage when using the different setups? Perhaps I can switch things up and see how the K7XX fares.

I have certainly heard a AD700X and AD900X before (I own a AD500X) and the details are definitely not as good as the K7XX.. Nowhere near in fact and the soundstage (distortion) is much better on the K7XX.

By the way, to get the optimal SQ out of these you need a fast amp and my experience with the X1s is that the amp section is pretty slow.

Oh and I always had the impression that the AD900X is inferior even to the M50X in terms of SQ but not soundspace(which I own). I heard the AD900X for an extended time at a local shop

Sep 7, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #4,211 of 4,580
  I have certainly heard a AD700X and AD900X before (I own a AD500X) and the details are definitely not as good as the K7XX.. Nowhere near in fact and the soundstage (distortion) is much better on the K7XX.

By the way, to get the optimal SQ out of these you need a fast amp and my experience with the X1s is that the amp section is pretty slow.

Oh and I always had the impression that the AD900X is inferior even to the M50X in terms of SQ but not soundspace(which I own). I heard the AD900X for an extended time at a local shop

This is the first time I'm aware of someone describing an amp with speed, and I've only made myself even more confused upon a quick google search. haha

I don't know what constitute to a good amplifier (or good synergy with a pair of headphone). I can get plenty of volume out of the X1s to the K7XX BUT they sound smeared and muddled up. Could it be that if I've gotten a "faster" amp, the sound will stay crystal clear when I crank up the volume? I honestly doubt it'll improve the soundstage though. Please convince me otherwise.

Sep 7, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #4,212 of 4,580
  This is the first time I'm aware of someone describing an amp with speed, and I've only made myself even more confused upon a quick google search. haha

I don't know what constitute to a good amplifier (or good synergy with a pair of headphone). I can get plenty of volume out of the X1s to the K7XX BUT they sound smeared and muddled up. Could it be that if I've gotten a "faster" amp, the sound will stay crystal clear when I crank up the volume? I honestly doubt it'll improve the soundstage though. Please convince me otherwise.

Less distortion and faster response will provide a better soundstage.

It's distortion that's the key thing here as that dinky amp in the X1s doesn't really have much in the way of response or clarity.

That's why some amps are quiet for a reason : tons of reserve power for clarity sake

Sep 7, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #4,213 of 4,580
  Less distortion and faster response will provide a better soundstage.

It's distortion that's the key thing here as that dinky amp in the X1s doesn't really have much in the way of response or clarity.

That's why some amps are quiet for a reason : tons of reserve power for clarity sake

I've seen many of you saying good things about hybrid amps for the K7XX. I'll bring my cans outside and see if I can test it somewhere. If only I knew it'd take this much to squeeze every ounce of goodness out of them, thanks for your input though.

Sep 7, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #4,214 of 4,580
  Long time lurker here.

After reading your post I went back and tried my K7XX on the various DACs and amps that I have and did notice that the K7XX can sound quite different with various amps.  The best pairing to me was my Teac UD-301 headphone output, it had the best sound stage and details, for the best over all sound the pair of Bimby and Lyr2 would be my choice, fuller sounding and better bass extension along with smoother highs but the sound stage and details are not as good as the UD-301.  Note that it also depends on the genre of music that would make me chose one over the other

While I haven't heard the Aune X1, an old GF and another friend have the Aune T1 which I was quite impressed with for driving the K7XX and HD-650 that they both have.  There used to be another poster on this thread that described the K7XX is similar terms as you so you're not alone.

As a suggestion, have you ever tried a Grado headphone like the mid level SR-225e which is the same price as the K7XX?  The K7XX has a better low end but the 225e has much better instrument separation, better mids and the highs are crisper and more extended than the K7XX, you will give up sound stage since its not as wide or deep (you can change to G pads which will help the sound stage a bit).

Sep 9, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #4,215 of 4,580
Does anyone know replacement pads I can buy?

5021871                $ 42.50each pad                                CUSHION, K 612,K 712,K702_Anniversary
+$7.75 shipping

AKG quoted me really high, and I can't really afford that currently

I've had my pads for 2 years or so now, and they are quite dirty. I have the 000024th model or something like that so it's pretty old. I used to wipe them off with a wet cloth every couple months, but it seems like they need a full wash now or replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back