The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Sep 10, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #4,217 of 4,580
I took my K7XX outside today to test with some expensive amps. I think it's only fair that I report my findings and update my impression on these AKGs.

Two of the amps I tried include Schiit Valhalla 2 and Pioneer U-05.

My conclusion is that an expensive amp doesn't increase the perceived size of soundstage, but the ability to reproduce better imaging, which is just as important at creating a good spacial illusion. It also increases the overall transparency; i.e. less distortion at high volume, smoother and silkier notes, and perhaps better separations between notes (faster decay?). And in some cases changes the tonality of the frequency response (Valhalla makes the K7XX sounds even fuller at the bottom half than it already is). I believe the reason why I decided the K7XX has a smaller soundstage than the AD700 was because of the strong presence of bass, taking out the airiness found in bass light headphones. Again I'm not saying the soundstage of K7XX is non-existent (noticeably larger than my friend's HE400s), it's just not the same as other bass light headphoens like the older AKGs.

With that being said, I would also like to confirm that the Aune X1s a very neutral, true to source DAC/ AMP in comparison with all the goodies I tried today. It did a fair job at representing the signature of K7XX. It sounded just like how it would on other setups, the main difference being the level of refinement. I happened to come across a pair of Q701 and did some A/B testing between the two pairs. To simply put it, the Q701 are bass light headphones and K7XX just add +3dB to the low end; making it sounds warmer, subduing the famous AKG high. So I stand by my earlier impression that K7XX has a comparatively full and warm sound, not the bright and sweet sound I was expecting from a pair of classic AKG headphones. (My guess is that the traditional AKG sound requires an acquired taste to enjoy but once they put out a neutral sounding headphone namely the Anniversary and K712 pro, everyone just flocks to them, calling them the best thing AKG has ever put out). 

As for the distortion I was experiencing with the X1s, after doing some research, I found that maximizing the original source volume (100% volume in Windows) and let the pre-amp, rather than the headphone amplifier, do most of the work will reduce the distortion created by the amplifier (I suppose most of you audio nuts already knew but I didn't). I could upgrade the amplifier and bring in the next level of refinement but the K7XX will still put out the same signature.

The K7XX is a very capable headphone and can sound amazing in the more expensive setups. I guess I just didn't care for the +3dB advertised by the K7XX but I can always change it in my equalizer.

As a suggestion, have you ever tried a Grado headphone like the mid level SR-225e which is the same price as the K7XX?  The K7XX has a better low end but the 225e has much better instrument separation, better mids and the highs are crisper and more extended than the K7XX, you will give up sound stage since its not as wide or deep (you can change to G pads which will help the sound stage a bit).

I did come across a pair SR-225e and they sounded exactly like how you'd describe them (can't remember about the instrument separation part though), but I'm sucker for soundstage ha ha, so maybe down the line.

Sep 11, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #4,218 of 4,580
Can't agree more with your comparison of the k7xx and q701. The comments on bass are dead on too. I have seen too many headphones (almost wrongly) accused of having smaller soundstage than they actually do just because of too prominent bass. In fact upon hearing the k7xx I could feel a much wider soundstage than my old k612.

(But I thought the annie and the k712 sound almost the same as the k7xx?)

I have not heard the ath ad700, but I have plenty of experiences with the ad1000, ad900x and currently having the ad2000 and the r70x. They're all quite different sounding headphones, though it's true that I like the ad2000 the most. I don't quite remember the ad1000 but perhaps that's the only one that can rival the k7xx in terms of soundstage. That is, once you've get used to the bass and see its true spacious colors.

Sep 12, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #4,220 of 4,580
  How many of the K7xx has Massdrop sold? This thread has been going on for YEARS. I thought only 6,000 units would be built?

They're limited in the sense that only Massdrop sells them. I've spoken to people at Massdrop and this applies to most of their exclusives, but they aren't limited edition in the sense that only X amt will ever be made. They've probably sold 20K pairs of K7XX by now.

Sep 12, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #4,221 of 4,580

They're limited in the sense that only Massdrop sells them. I've spoken to people at Massdrop and this applies to most of their exclusives, but they aren't limited edition in the sense that only X amt will ever be made. They've probably sold 20K pairs of K7XX by now.

I just looked at Massdrop's pics. One showed a serial # of 100,007 ! That's only slightly higher than 6,000. It will be interesting to see what serial # I get from the latest drop.

Sep 12, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #4,222 of 4,580

I just looked at Massdrop's pics. One showed a serial # of 100,007 ! That's only slightly higher than 6,000. It will be interesting to see what serial # I get from the latest drop.

I've got the red edition #003925. I'm sure they've sold more of the standard black edition. With those extra zeros at the front could the implication be made that they're going to 999999?

Sep 14, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #4,225 of 4,580
can't remember how many times they were selling this " limited edition" .

Sep 14, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #4,226 of 4,580
I for one do not care if it is a limited edition, I'd rather everyone could have a pair of these magnificent headphones for $200

Sep 14, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #4,227 of 4,580
  I for one do not care if it is a limited edition, I'd rather everyone could have a pair of these magnificent headphones for $200

Literally the best headphones I've ever heard... under 1000$
I've heard a Oppo PM-2 and some other planars and grados under 1000$ and I've come to the conclusion these are the absolute best. Hard to beat them. 

Sep 14, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #4,228 of 4,580
  Literally the best headphones I've ever heard... under 1000$
I've heard a Oppo PM-2 and some other planars and grados under 1000$ and I've come to the conclusion these are the absolute best. Hard to beat them. 

well, from what i have heard under $1000,  t1, lcd2 are def better than this.

Sep 14, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #4,229 of 4,580
I have a T1.2 but still love the AKG sound so listen to the K7xx a lot. Yet right now I'm listening to the new Macy Gray album on my HD650's and am in heaven :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back