The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Aug 21, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #4,171 of 4,580
Many will disagree, and it is true a K7xx can be driven without amp or DAC, but you won't get anything close to the full effect of the K7xx in my honest opinion.

If I had $200 to spend total, I would get something considered to be exceptionally good at the $60 or lower price point (about $20-30 max if IEMs) and spend the rest on decent DAC and amp, putting off the 7xx until later, but i know that will not be popular opinion always.

For years I spent all my $ on headphones and never bothered to get any AMP or DAC, once i finally invested in good ones, i found myself enjoying sub $40 headphones more than i ever though possible.

But yes, you could get a K7xx and drive it with your phone or computer and you wouldn't be disappointed, for sure.

Aug 21, 2016 at 3:55 AM Post #4,172 of 4,580
  Many will disagree, and it is true a K7xx can be driven without amp or DAC, but you won't get anything close to the full effect of the K7xx in my honest opinion.

If I had $200 to spend total, I would get something considered to be exceptionally good at the $60 or lower price point (about $20-30 max if IEMs) and spend the rest on decent DAC and amp, putting off the 7xx until later, but i know that will not be popular opinion always.

For years I spent all my $ on headphones and never bothered to get any AMP or DAC, once i finally invested in good ones, i found myself enjoying sub $40 headphones more than i ever though possible.

But yes, you could get a K7xx and drive it with your phone or computer and you wouldn't be disappointed, for sure.

I agree with amping it as a must. Lesser amps won't be able to drive it linearly (as with most full sized cans)

Aug 21, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #4,173 of 4,580
Aug 21, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #4,174 of 4,580

totally agree. And also, spending $200 on a decent dac/amp means you can enjoy almost all the decent headphones in the world. So it's a very good investment

Aug 22, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #4,175 of 4,580
  I agree with amping it as a must. Lesser amps won't be able to drive it linearly (as with most full sized cans)

totally agree. And also, spending $200 on a decent dac/amp means you can enjoy almost all the decent headphones in the world. So it's a very good investment

Alright, I think I'll invest in a good Dac/Amp then. Thanks for the advice!

Aug 22, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #4,176 of 4,580
WailingWalrus, come join us in the Chinese IEM threads. Current FOTM is the **** 4in1, can be had for less than $40 with a cable and if you already have an MMCX cable it will be mid $20

Aug 22, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #4,177 of 4,580
One of the other reasons I like the K7XXs, although a strange one I suppose, is the plastic construction. Besides the low weight which allows for longer listening sessions without physical fatigue, I don't have to worry about scratching them. I've owned a few 1K+ headphones, and invariably with their use, I've scratched the wood or polished metal.

I'm so anal about keeping my audio gear in perfect shape that when a blemish occurs, especially on an expensive item, it becomes the impetus for me to start looking for something new.

Strange, but true. 
k701smile.gif

Aug 22, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #4,178 of 4,580
One of the other reasons I like the K7XXs, although a strange one I suppose, is the plastic construction. Besides the low weight which allows for longer listening sessions without physical fatigue, I don't have to worry about scratching them. I've owned a few 1K+ headphones, and invariably with their use, I've scratched the wood or polished metal.

I'm so anal about keeping my audio gear in perfect shape that when a blemish occurs, especially on an expensive item, it becomes the impetus for me to start looking for something new.

Strange, but true. :k701smile:  

Apply copious amounts of lacquer to the wood :k701smile:

Aug 23, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #4,179 of 4,580

I would say that the one exception to this is using the K7xx for travel.  I just got out my old second generation Ipod and the K7xx work fine directly plugged into the IPOD.  I plan to make a trans-oceanic + trans-continental flight in early October and I think I will take this rig for the long journey + a hefty battery charger and my MacBook Pro.  If I wanted to, I could take my portable Wavelength Proton Dac with my Mac and leave the IPOD at home, here in Denmark + the charger.  That might be an even better idea for the K7xx.  I'll have to compare the two.

Aug 23, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #4,180 of 4,580
  I would say that the one exception to this is using the K7xx for travel.  I just got out my old second generation Ipod and the K7xx work fine directly plugged into the IPOD.  I plan to make a trans-oceanic + trans-continental flight in early October and I think I will take this rig for the long journey + a hefty battery charger and my MacBook Pro.  

An open K7xx on a plane?  I hope no one else is on that plane.  

Aug 23, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #4,182 of 4,580
  An open K7xx on a plane?  I hope no one else is on that plane.  

I was thinking the same thing, I had it at a decent level and my daughter in the other room with the door closed could hear my music

Aug 23, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #4,183 of 4,580
Hi Everyone! I am new here, and this may be an over-asked question, but what is the frequency of these Massdrops being offered?

I am looking for these AKG K7XX Headphones in the all black color. These seem to be offered fairly frequently, as they seem to be very popular. Does MassDrop usually wait for a certain number of requests? When and how do they decide to offer them again?

Does anyone know approximately how often these Black K7XX's have been offered in the past? Every few weeks, months, once a year? I know that I JUST missed the last drop on these (of course), but if I have to wait 6 months for the drop to happen again, I may just try an auction site.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!

K

Aug 23, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #4,184 of 4,580
  Hi Everyone! I am new here, and this may be an over-asked question, but what is the frequency of these Massdrops being offered?

I am looking for these AKG K7XX Headphones in the all black color. These seem to be offered fairly frequently, as they seem to be very popular. Does MassDrop usually wait for a certain number of requests? When and how do they decide to offer them again?

Does anyone know approximately how often these Black K7XX's have been offered in the past? Every few weeks, months, once a year? I know that I JUST missed the last drop on these (of course), but if I have to wait 6 months for the drop to happen again, I may just try an auction site.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!

K

The black version are offered quite frequently and should be offered again within a few weeks after the red version drop has ended. You won't have to wait about 6 months for a black version drop to happen as it will happen sooner than that. Waiting for Massdrop to ship the item after the drop closes is another story as some had to wait extremely long. Just join the request and they'll send you a email notice when the black version drop is active. It typically takes about 200 requests on this set of cans for Massdrop to put it in que for a drop

Aug 23, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #4,185 of 4,580
Manufacturer frequency response specs are generally useless when it comes to headphones. Here are measurements of the K7XX so you can see the frequency response: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK7XX.pdf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back