The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Mar 5, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #3,646 of 4,580
Schiit build quality is pretty outstanding for the money. I've looked at reviews on the o2/odac and I don't see as much value for the cash.

Mar 5, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #3,647 of 4,580
yes, exactly! ok great!

Mar 5, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #3,648 of 4,580
Thanks the input everybody. I ordered a magni 2 and am going to grab a g5 from a local store tomorrow and do a side by side in both music and games. Music using the direct option of the g5 which I've read bypasses all the processing. I will also test using the magni through the my MB and the g5 dac lineout to see if there is a difference. I've never been a fan of "virtual surround" but am curious to hear this iteration for gaming as I've only heard dolby headphone and don't like it.

Mar 6, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #3,649 of 4,580
Good deal. I'm sure the Magni 2 is a great amp. The Schiit rep mentioned that lots of people like tube amplifiers with AKG headphones, so I went that way, but he said either would be fine.

Mar 7, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #3,651 of 4,580
Guys what do you think DAC/Amp for AKG K7xx under 300$?

I've been thinking about DAC/AMP and I saw Many options..

Like: O2+ODAC , Aune X1S , Shiit stack (uber)

and i like the Aune X1S BUT do you have better Idea?

Mar 7, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #3,652 of 4,580
I have these on their way to my house from the latest drop and was wondering if anyone drives these with a creative g5 or e5 and how it sounds. My use will be 65-70% gaming, the rest music from 320 to flac on a desktop pc. Any help or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I have a pretty strict budget near $150. I was also considering getting a sound blaster z and magni but am worried about double amping. Im lost and need to find my way lol

If it helps fore suggestions, I lean away from warm and prefer a tighter, faster, more crisp sound.

To avoid double amping just use the sound blaster z's line out.

Mar 11, 2016 at 1:55 AM Post #3,653 of 4,580
No talk about the LE Reds? I think they look quite spiffy.

Here's a fly in the ointment, comparing these to my "plain" K7XXs, these are ~1 dB more forward in the mid-upper bass region. Might just be driver variances, but it's definitely there (doing A>B, same amp), even my wife can hear the difference. Also they seem to be slightly more open in soundstage. If I can get them back from her (red's her favorite color) I'll post some more observations.

Oh, why are these foam pads behind the back screen? They're more open and airy without them and seem more like an impediment than anything else. First thing I do when I get a set of AKGs like these is take them out. :confused:

Mar 13, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #3,656 of 4,580
No talk about the LE Reds? I think they look quite spiffy.

Here's a fly in the ointment, comparing these to my "plain" K7XXs, these are ~1 dB more forward in the mid-upper bass region. Might just be driver variances, but it's definitely there (doing A>B, same amp), even my wife can hear the difference. Also they seem to be slightly more open in soundstage. If I can get them back from her (red's her favorite color) I'll post some more observations.

Oh, why are these foam pads behind the back screen? They're more open and airy without them and seem more like an impediment than anything else. First thing I do when I get a set of AKGs like these is take them out. :confused:

The reason that just about any headphone you are likely to buy is bound to have more "damping" at various places in it , is because using headphones with better quality equipment (& less flawed musical choices) are the Exception" not the "Norm". The Headphone makers know thiis, but they make this damping easily removable for those who understand the concept of using a playback "system".

(Heh,heh,heh ! After reading your posting , I could'nt help noticing your listing of equipment . You definitely understand the concept & realize that headphones & loudspeakers are just part of the " Bigger Picture" & not
necessarily the only important part )

So should I decide to pick up a pair of these , that makes at least 2 pads I know to take out, before I'll even plug them in & listen. With about $4k of Line Conditioning in front of everything, I'm absolutely positive there are
probably a few more "Conservative" design features that I can "Do away with"

Thanks for making, looking for things a bit easier !

Mar 13, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #3,658 of 4,580
The reason that just about any headphone you are likely to buy is bound to have more "damping" at various places in it , is because using headphones with better quality equipment (& less flawed musical choices) are the Exception" not the "Norm". The Headphone makers know thiis, but they make this damping easily removable for those who understand the concept of using a playback "system".

(Heh,heh,heh ! After reading your posting , I could'nt help noticing your listing of equipment . You definitely understand the concept & realize that headphones & loudspeakers are just part of the " Bigger Picture" & not necessarily the only important part )

So should I decide to pick up a pair of these , that makes at least 2 pads I know to take out, before I'll even plug them in & listen. With about $4k of Line Conditioning in front of everything, I'm absolutely positive there are probably a few more "Conservative" design features that I can "Do away with"

Thanks for making, looking for things a bit easier !

That's really about it, unless you want to remove the earpads and take out the little foam "donut" under them. I don't recommend it though, while it does slightly improve treble clarity and opens them up even more, it also can smear the mids and upper bass together.

I like using these for gaming mostly, I just attach my Modmic and I'm set, they're some of the most accurate I've ever tried.

I saw measurements without that material 'somewhere' and the bass level rises ~1 dB.

Really? That's interesting. However, I've removed them from the 1st gen K7XX too. Honestly, I think they've made a slight adjustment somewhere (or like I said before, it's just simple driver variance).

Mar 13, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #3,660 of 4,580
I saw measurements without that material 'somewhere' and the bass level rises ~1 dB.

Does everyone else also have the foam pads that are shown in this thread?  Mine on the black First Edition K7XX have a doughnut hole in the middle that is about 1/3 of the size of the foam pad.  Does the Red Edition only have the foam without the hole?  AL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back