The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Mar 1, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #3,631 of 4,580

certainly not warmer than the hd650. but definitely warmer than the k701.
but sadly sometimes the k7xx sounds a bit dry, which is something that bothered me with my old k701.
as for a neutral sound signature i haven't really heard much headphones but to my ears hd600 and 400i are what i think neutral should sound like.

How do the HD600 and HE400i compare in the treble?

Mar 1, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #3,633 of 4,580

certainly not warmer than the hd650. but definitely warmer than the k701.
but sadly sometimes the k7xx sounds a bit dry, which is something that bothered me with my old k701.
as for a neutral sound signature i haven't really heard much headphones but to my ears hd600 and 400i are what i think neutral should sound like.

Thanks, I think we are on the same page, as I know the HD600 and I have to agree.

Mar 3, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #3,635 of 4,580
  After that first drop I was hearing quite a few complaints about rattle issues and wires going loose so you had to re-solder them, does that seem to be less common now?

I believe that issue has all but vanished after the first drop.

Mar 4, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #3,637 of 4,580
  After that first drop I was hearing quite a few complaints about rattle issues and wires going loose so you had to re-solder them, does that seem to be less common now?

I think I was in the second drop, that was the day I first joined Massdrop.  I got serial # 2255 and when I received them I went online and did bass sweeps all the way down to 10hz at a decent volume and there was no rattle on mine, well my head was rattling for a while after that but the drivers were fine.

Mar 5, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #3,638 of 4,580
I have these on their way to my house from the latest drop and was wondering if anyone drives these with a creative g5 or e5 and how it sounds. My use will be 65-70% gaming, the rest music from 320 to flac on a desktop pc. Any help or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I have a pretty strict budget near $150. I was also considering getting a sound blaster z and magni but am worried about double amping. Im lost and need to find my way lol

If it helps fore suggestions, I lean away from warm and prefer a tighter, faster, more crisp sound.

Mar 5, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #3,639 of 4,580
I bought a Vali 2 in anticipation of these headphones and it sounds very refined and entertaining to me. I've only used my M50x with it so far but it's a huge difference from my iPhone or speaker amp. You might really love it.

Mar 5, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #3,640 of 4,580
Hello, i've joined the drop on massdrop for the akg k7xx limited red edition and i was wondering about something. I'd like to know if this would make me able to use my custom 3.5mm cable with this adapter: http://www.doss.com.au/pd4934-mini-xlr-akg-ta3f-to-shure-ta4m-converter/ if not, is there any adapter (wireless) like this? please link website :) thanks in advance for your help!

Mar 5, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #3,641 of 4,580
I bought a Vali 2 in anticipation of these headphones and it sounds very refined and entertaining to me. I've only used my M50x with it so far but it's a huge difference from my iPhone or speaker amp. You might really love it.

Would getting this be better than getting a slightly lower end amp and dac? I only have my onboard audio(alc898) and a really old mixamp that I'm using through optical(in stereo not DH) to power my hm5s. Will the alc898 dac sound bad?

Mar 5, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #3,642 of 4,580
I have these on their way to my house from the latest drop and was wondering if anyone drives these with a creative g5 or e5 and how it sounds. My use will be 65-70% gaming, the rest music from 320 to flac on a desktop pc. Any help or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I have a pretty strict budget near $150. I was also considering getting a sound blaster z and magni but am worried about double amping. Im lost and need to find my way lol

If it helps fore suggestions, I lean away from warm and prefer a tighter, faster, more crisp sound.

Look at Fiio's offerings of USB dac/amp combo. Or a DAP like X3ii which doubles as usb dac/amp

Mar 5, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #3,643 of 4,580
I still have my onboard Realtek audio in the computer. I haven't used the Vali 2's preamp output for the speaker amp yet but I plan to hook it up soon. The next thing is probably a Modi 2 to go with the Vali 2. Not sure how much difference the dac will make but I think the amp is more important.

Mar 5, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #3,644 of 4,580
  Hello, i've joined the drop on massdrop for the akg k7xx limited red edition and i was wondering about something. I'd like to know if this would make me able to use my custom 3.5mm cable with this adapter: http://www.doss.com.au/pd4934-mini-xlr-akg-ta3f-to-shure-ta4m-converter/ if not, is there any adapter (wireless) like this? please link website :) thanks in advance for your help!

Let me see if I understand what you are asking:  you want to use the adapter to connect to the headphones and you will be using a 3.5mm TRS cable from there.  If that is what you are asking then the adapter you linked to should work.

Mar 5, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #3,645 of 4,580

Suggest you save a little more for O2/ODAC which MassDrop has once in a while for $250?  The other DAC/amp that I like in this price range is Aune T1, got one for a friend who has K7XX and HD-650, works great with both, but this gives a warmer to neutral sound depending on tube used while the ODAC/O2 is more neutral to bright to me.

If going the sound card route, my STX and DG work quite well.  I haven't heard creative G5, E5 or sound blaster z so can't comment there.

The Magni might work for you since I found it on the bright side, with K7XX its getting sibilant to me

The Realtek ALC898 is a pretty good chip so you could just use the line out to a external amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back