The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Mar 13, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #3,661 of 4,580

Are these pads under the outermost screen that has 'K7XX'  on it? How do you get access to them, I see no obvious way to do it harmlessly?  

If you grab the velour ear cups and give them a 1/2 inch counter clockwise rotation while pressing down just slightly the ear pads will come off and the foam pads are under them.  Mine have a hole in the middle and only cover the outside of the drivers not like the ones shown in the photos. Mine also don't look as dense as the ones in the photo as light can come thru mine but that could just be the photo making them look darker or thicker.  AL

Mar 13, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #3,662 of 4,580

If you grab the velour ear cups and give them a 1/2 inch counter clockwise rotation while pressing down just slightly the ear pads will come off and the foam pads are under them.  Mine have a hole in the middle and only cover the outside of the drivers not like the ones shown in the photos. Mine also don't look as dense as the ones in the photo as light can come thru mine but that could just be the photo making them look darker or thicker.  AL

Thank you, I am  bit shy about trying this , not sure why, since I  have been 'under the hood' of most my other equipment.

Mar 14, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #3,663 of 4,580
Are these pads under the outermost screen that has 'K7XX'  on it? How do you get access to them, I see no obvious way to do it harmlessly?  

Yes, that's the one. Take a pair of push pins, insert one into one side of the K7XX mesh "disk" on the very back of the headphone, and the other into the other side, then using those, turn the mesh itself counterclockwise a quarter turn. It'll pop right off. Then take out the foam pad and repeat the procedure in reverse to put the mesh back on.

Mar 14, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #3,664 of 4,580
Joined the drop right before it ended. This will be my first higher end headphone. And the first pair of headphones I've owned since I lost my Sony 7506's many years ago.

Now it's time to add an amp. I'm thinking the Lake People G109 or Asgard 2. Leaning towards the G109. These cans are for studio use, but I'll use them for listening to music, gaming and video.

Mar 14, 2016 at 3:53 AM Post #3,665 of 4,580
Yes, that's the one. Take a pair of push pins, insert one into one side of the K7XX mesh "disk" on the very back of the headphone, and the other into the other side, then using those, turn the mesh itself counterclockwise a quarter turn. It'll pop right off. Then take out the foam pad and repeat the procedure in reverse to put the mesh back on.

Like Johnny Carson used to say "I did not know that".  So for clarification the foam pads without the holes in them are on the outside (back side) of the drivers?  I assume that removing it will make the K7XX sound more open because well it will actually be more open.  Is this what most people are doing to enhance the sound of the K7XX 's or is this just if you have a high end amp?  AL

Mar 14, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #3,666 of 4,580
Like Johnny Carson used to say "I did not know that".  So for clarification the foam pads without the holes in them are on the outside (back side) of the drivers?  I assume that removing it will make the K7XX sound more open because well it will actually be more open.  Is this what most people are doing to enhance the sound of the K7XX 's or is this just if you have a high end amp?  AL

Yeah, the small screen on the back that has "K7XX" stamped on it. Remove it and take out the small foam pad in there. You can put it back in if you don't like the change, it's an easily reversed mod. It opens them up a little, regardless of what amp you use, but I guess it could scale better with better gear.

Joined the drop right before it ended. This will be my first higher end headphone. And the first pair of headphones I've owned since I lost my Sony 7506's many years ago.

Now it's time to add an amp. I'm thinking the Lake People G109 or Asgard 2. Leaning towards the G109. These cans are for studio use, but I'll use them for listening to music, gaming and video.

They're quite easy to drive, for your use case I'd probably recommend something even less expensive, like the O2. These are kind of a "warm" set of cans, a more analytical amp would work best with them, IMO.

Mar 14, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #3,667 of 4,580
Yeah, the small screen on the back that has "K7XX" stamped on it. Remove it and take out the small foam pad in there. You can put it back in if you don't like the change, it's an easily reversed mod. It opens them up a little, regardless of what amp you use, but I guess it could scale better with better gear.

Well I am relatively new here and so I don't have to read back over 245 pages of threads what is the consensus on the "type" of amp to buy for the K7XX, full tube, solid state, or a hybrid?  I think someone on the Massdrop site stated that a hybrid would be the best choice but I read that a few months ago.  AL

Mar 14, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #3,668 of 4,580

I would wait until you have had the headphones for a few weeks before looking for an amp or DAC.  The K7XX is a little on the bright side to me and does not always go well with my Asgard2, gets a little sibilant with some songs.
  Well I am relatively new here and so I don't have to read back over 245 pages of threads what is the consensus on the "type" of amp to buy for the K7XX, full tube, solid state, or a hybrid?  I think someone on the Massdrop site stated that a hybrid would be the best choice but I read that a few months ago.  AL

I use either a Ember or Lyr2, as I noted above the K7XX can get a little sibilant for me with some songs, having a amp with a slightly warm signature helps smooth out the highs.

Mar 14, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #3,669 of 4,580

Also are we removing the other foam pad with the hole that is on the front of the driver under the removable ear pads?  What is the effect of removing that pad?  I assume you would either want to remove both the inner and outer pads or to leave both sets of pads in, is that right or is there a strategy to do just one type?  AL

Mar 14, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #3,670 of 4,580

Also are we removing the other foam pad with the hole that is on the front of the driver under the removable ear pads?  What is the effect of removing that pad?  I assume you would either want to remove both the inner and outer pads or to leave both sets of pads in, is that right or is there a strategy to do just one type?  AL

No, I addressed that a few posts ago. :wink: It has too many negative effects; smears the mids into the upper bass.

Mar 14, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #3,671 of 4,580
I think that the K7XX has more than adequate bass.  I never heard the sibilance that some have experienced.  The best amp for them is your favorite amp be it a tubes or solid state. 
My current amps all have tubes in them.  I have an amp I bought years ago that is from a disgraced amp builder  It is essentially a single input integrated amp. The pre amp section is tube and the out put is also tubed It sounds really good,  sorry no audiophile poetry) The K7XX works well and the sound quality may be  slightly warm  with that amp.
 The hybrids have tubed  front ends and  solid state outputs, these also  sound excellent ,and synergizes with these cans. I see that some of colleagues  have Embers from Garage 1217.  I agree.
The point is that you can be sure the K7XX will sound  and pass along the character of the amp.  Whether you like tube amps sound or solid state.    I can't tell you what you like only you know.       

Mar 14, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #3,672 of 4,580
Mine have the dreaded rattle, and their serial number is in the 3000's. Bought them secondhand from Ebay, so I can't even send them in to AKG and the seller will not get back in touch. I also left positive feedback as the problem didn't present itself until I listened to bass heavy music until recently. Pretty annoying.

Mar 15, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #3,673 of 4,580
Mine have the dreaded rattle, and their serial number is in the 3000's. Bought them secondhand from Ebay, so I can't even send them in to AKG and the seller will not get back in touch. I also left positive feedback as the problem didn't present itself until I listened to bass heavy music until recently. Pretty annoying.

Good luck! https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/37ktz0/i_fixed_my_k7xxs_rattle/

Mar 16, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #3,674 of 4,580
I got the K7XX for my cousin. He felt it was a huge step up from his M50 until I showed him my modded HD650, but still he was satisfied because it was comfortable. I wasn't really fond of the K7XX. The mid and treble was less clear than my HD600 though the K7XX has a slightly larger sound stage but a little veiled to me maybe because the headphone are not as clear as HD600. The bass is better than HD600 though. Though it's a great value at $200, but I'd wouldn't pay more than $200 because the sennheisers exist.

Mar 17, 2016 at 2:49 AM Post #3,675 of 4,580
I got the K7XX for my cousin. He felt it was a huge step up from his M50 until I showed him my modded HD650, but still he was satisfied because it was comfortable. I wasn't really fond of the K7XX. The mid and treble was less clear than my HD600 though the K7XX has a slightly larger sound stage but a little veiled to me maybe because the headphone are not as clear as HD600. The bass is better than HD600 though. Though it's a great value at $200, but I'd wouldn't pay more than $200 because the sennheisers exist.

The veil on the K7 series AKGs comes from the 2-3khz region, it's once that is under control and with the right system they truly start to shine. I also personally found the K712 a bit more refined than the K7XX, at least the ones I owned, could be variation and origin of manufacture differences being the cause. The K6 series doesn't have the veil problem(they are a little rough sounding instead). A modded K7 is simply amazing when done right, the drivers in the AKGs are better than they let on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back