The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Mar 17, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #3,676 of 4,580
The veil on the K7 series AKGs comes from the 2-3khz region, it's once that is under control and with the right system they truly start to shine. I also personally found the K712 a bit more refined than the K7XX, at least the ones I owned, could be variation and origin of manufacture differences being the cause. The K6 series doesn't have the veil problem(they are a little rough sounding instead). A modded K7 is simply amazing when done right, the drivers in the AKGs are better than they let on.

I agree. I balanced both my K812's and the K7XX's, and while the K812 is a significantly better headphone (than most headphones, not just the K7XX), the difference in imaging, soundstage, and clarity was way more noticeable on the K7XX after balancing. I'd take a balanced K7XX over any headphone on the market that retails under $750 right now. A modded HD650 would top it, but not a HD600. Who knows, maybe others will disagree, but K7XX when balanced cleans up the 2-3khz region and the bass tightens up significantly. For extended listening I sometimes prefer the K7XX over the K812 because the comfort often offsets the difference in SQ.

Mar 19, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #3,677 of 4,580
  Joined the drop right before it ended. This will be my first higher end headphone. And the first pair of headphones I've owned since I lost my Sony 7506's many years ago.

Now it's time to add an amp. I'm thinking the Lake People G109 or Asgard 2. Leaning towards the G109. These cans are for studio use, but I'll use them for listening to music, gaming and video.

You should get the G109 if you can afford it now because its a fairly future proof amp; if you choose to upgrade headphones later you probably wont have to up grade the amp. Even if you step up to an Audeze or Hifiman planar headphone you'll find that many users of either brand use Lake people or their sister company Violectric amps.  It will also play nicely with most headphones due to it's neutral and none fatiguing signature 

Mar 24, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #3,680 of 4,580
  I think they sound great too, needed burn in though to open up.

Never noticed any sound change due to burn-in with these
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2016 at 1:26 AM Post #3,682 of 4,580
  I definitely have, on 702s, Annies, 712s and these.  Not a ton, but they do open up. Also helps to spend $30 on a better cable.

Only had one headphone that the sound changed over a 200+ hour period, EL8, verified with a few different people and compared to HD-650 at various points in time (25, 70, 120, 210 hours)

Cables are another thing that I would change only because they are broken, length, microphonic, or kinked (HD-700).  I have tried some really nice Double Helix and Forza cables and while they look fantastic there was no difference in the sound from simple Canare, Mogami or Cardas cables that I have built.

Mar 25, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #3,683 of 4,580
  Only had one headphone that the sound changed over a 200+ hour period, EL8, verified with a few different people and compared to HD-650 at various points in time (25, 70, 120, 210 hours)

Cables are another thing that I would change only because they are broken, length, microphonic, or kinked (HD-700).  I have tried some really nice Double Helix and Forza cables and while they look fantastic there was no difference in the sound from simple Canare, Mogami or Cardas cables that I have built.

Well, I do think that "simple Canare, Mogami or Cardas cables" let more music thru than the akg included cables.

Mar 30, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #3,687 of 4,580
  They are up again. Not first edition though? :)

Btw if you think bass is too much on Fidelio X2's. Will the bass on these then also be too much? With that 3db bass boost?

Cheers

Just a reminder, as I've seen other comments on Amazon like "these can't be hi fidelity if they're boosting the bass."   The 702's were considered bass-light, and so they tuned them with the memory foam and some driver stuff.. I think they're very accurate, and not in any way 'boomy'.  I like them more than my $699 Oppo PM-2's because (by virtue of not sitting on my ears, which I didn't like) they sound more open and wider.  At $199, they're quite awesome. Just needs break-in time, and decent power to fully realize their goodness.

Mar 30, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #3,688 of 4,580
  Just a reminder, as I've seen other comments on Amazon like "these can't be hi fidelity if they're boosting the bass."   The 702's were considered bass-light, and so they tuned them with the memory foam and some driver stuff.. I think they're very accurate, and not in any way 'boomy'.  I like them more than my $699 Oppo PM-2's because (by virtue of not sitting on my ears, which I didn't like) they sound more open and wider.  At $199, they're quite awesome. Just needs break-in time, and decent power to fully realize their goodness.

Thanks for your answer. :) So you haven't tried the Fidelio X2's? Do you think they could actually "grow on me"? Liek you say, break in?

They just makes my head hurt, while at the same time making me think "This sounds fantastic" I just don't like my head hurting. ^^

But if these don't make "my head hurt" and sound just as fantastic. I'm gonna be happy with ordering them. But I think the big bass however is the issue, nomather how good it sounds. So perhaps I should just stick with the basic K702's? Do you know if they sound kind of the same as the Hd 555's modded? The HD 555's modded should sound around the same as the HD 595's and HD 598's in sound signature. I like these without too much base as well, since the sounds are super detailed, and the bass don't make my head hurt. Guess my head just not good with heavy bass.

Mar 30, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #3,689 of 4,580
  Thanks for your answer. :) So you haven't tried the Fidelio X2's? Do you think they could actually "grow on me"? Liek you say, break in?

They just makes my head hurt, while at the same time making me think "This sounds fantastic" I just don't like my head hurting. ^^

But if these don't make "my head hurt" and sound just as fantastic. I'm gonna be happy with ordering them. But I think the big bass however is the issue, nomather how good it sounds. So perhaps I should just stick with the basic K702's? Do you know if they sound kind of the same as the Hd 555's modded? The HD 555's modded should sound around the same as the HD 595's and HD 598's in sound signature. I like these without too much base as well, since the sounds are super detailed, and the bass don't make my head hurt. Guess my head just not good with heavy bass.

Sorry, don't have any of those.  I'm sure someone else will chime in. I think they're accurate, and the bass is Not exaggerated. Can't help beyond that.

Mar 30, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #3,690 of 4,580
  Sorry, don't have any of those.  I'm sure someone else will chime in. I think they're accurate, and the bass is Not exaggerated. Can't help beyond that.

Ok, not a problem. But thanks anyway! :) Also **** Sennheiser for making great headphones that just breaks after x amount of years. Same ******* place. 55x series on the side (same side even) the 6xx series on the top. I guess they just make them like this so people will buy a new from them, years down the line. Then they are HOOKED! On the comfort and sound... fu Sennheiser!! Dirty bastards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back