The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Oct 14, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #2,958 of 4,580
The K7XX is a touch dark but is still close to neutral. I always urge people to upgrade their components one at a time. This allows you see each components part in the chain and understand your setup better. I do recommend an amp but i think waiting a week or two will help you appreciate its role more. 

As a relative noob, I agree with this 100%. I can also confirm that the K7XX needs some juice to sing. It doesn't need a ton, and it's not super picky, but you need an amp or at least a decent dap. My HTC One M8, which has a powerful amp (for a phone), can't do it.

This is common knowledge, but I'm reiterating it for anyone who just got in on the drop.

Oct 15, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #2,960 of 4,580
The better the front end, the better these headphones will sound. GIGO. I know it seems like a cliche, but in this case it's true.

What do you think of the K7xx paired with an Aune X1?

Or a Schiit Magni/Modi stack? I'm torn between these two. I could get the Aune X1 for almost the cost of the Magni 2 Uber. I currently use a Xonar DX for a DAC with no amp. I plan on ordering an amp/dac or simply an amp within a week of getting the K7xx. I was also curious about the Schiit Valli but I think I'm going to stick with the Magni/Modi stack or the Aune X1

Oct 16, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #2,964 of 4,580
Oh it takes so long? Do you live in italy?

I do live in China (see my profile), but I chose to receive it in Italy to increase the probability to have a smooth delivery.
I did the same with the Lycan then I took it with me in China.
If it arrives for Christmas it will be fine as I will be in Italy for my holidays.

Oct 16, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #2,965 of 4,580
What do you think of the K7xx paired with an Aune X1?

Or a Schiit Magni/Modi stack? I'm torn between these two.

I own a Modi and have had a Magni in my system. Fairly poor sound quality, a hair above the O2/ODAC, which is the worst sounding audio gear I've heard that was aimed at a discriminating market. Never heard the X1. If this were me, I'd buy the Aune. The odds of it sounding worse than the M/M combo are slim. Good luck.

Oct 16, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #2,966 of 4,580
I own a Modi and have had a Magni in my system. Fairly poor sound quality, a hair above the O2/ODAC, which is the worst sounding audio gear I've heard that was aimed at a discriminating market. Never heard the X1. If this were me, I'd buy the Aune. The odds of it sounding worse than the M/M combo are slim. Good luck.

Wow. First I've heard of the Schiit stack sounding poor!

What would you recommend for $250 max? The Aune does seem like my best bet thus far.. I'm not trying to spend a ton especially since I just bought AD900X less than a month ago and I'm already upgrading to the K7xx.

Oct 16, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #2,967 of 4,580

What would you recommend for $250 max? The Aune does seem like my best bet thus far.. I'm not trying to spend a ton especially since I just bought AD900X less than a month ago and I'm already upgrading to the K7xx.

Well if you look at his profile, you can see he's probably used to much higher end equipment.

Oct 16, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #2,968 of 4,580
I do not think that the baby Schiit Stack sounds "poor", and I believe Shaffer is in the minority with that opinion. Is there better sounding audio gear out there? Probably. Will you regret buying Schiit? Probably not.

Oct 16, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #2,969 of 4,580

I usually suggest a Matrix M-Stage from the classifieds, but in this case it's not a great option. IME, Meier amps make for an excellent match with K7XX. If you wait around a bit and look through the classifieds daily, you can find an Arietta or a Jazz in your price range. Other than that, I have no idea.

As a point of interest, consider the typical manufacturing model. The product's MSRP is typically 1/4-1/5 of its parts' cost. Almost always, the single most expensive part is the case. Now consider how much parts value sits inside a very inexpensive product specifically produced to be sold to the entry-level buyer. That's just the wholesale price of the parts excluding all else.

I do not think that the baby Schiit Stack sounds "poor", and I believe Shaffer is in the minority with that opinion. Is there better sounding audio gear out there? Probably. Will you regret buying Schiit? Probably not.

I regret having to keep the Modi. It's used in a non-critical application, but still. At the time, I had a HRT MSII and an AQ Dragonfly sitting next to it, both offering a next step in performance. Unfortunately, due to family issues, I missed the return period for the Modi and now I'm stuck with it. Not worth selling. I've also had an Asgard, a Lyr, and a Valhala in my system. The Asgard is as much of a sonic joke as the Magni, the Valhala sounds like getting hit with a feather, and the Lyr isn't too bad. Everything is relative.

Oct 16, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #2,970 of 4,580
Wow. First time I've heard anyone talk bad about Schiit products like that, but it's rather refreshing considering I've heard zero negative opinions of their products until now.

What type of music do you listen to, Shaffer? What made the Magni so poor for you?

This is pushing me towards the Aune a bit. I wish I had more $$ to spend but I also need to keep in mind I can't start with the best gear. Need to work my way up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back