The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Oct 13, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #2,941 of 4,580
I joined the drop, can't wait to get it.  Interesting comments from morethansense, since I'll be comparing it to my DT 880 Pro as well.  I wonder if I'll feel compelled to keep both.

Oct 13, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #2,942 of 4,580

Awww. But we want to hear what you "may love" about it
bigsmile_face.gif
. A few months ago (before I popped my ear-cherry with the entry-level Takstar HI 2050) I wasn't "qualified" to comment on anything sound-related but now I dare-say I'm more qualified than AKG's longest-standing sound engineer
darthsmile.gif
. I'm now picking up a K7XX as well. So give us your impressions, no matter how brief or un-qualified.

I can just say whether I like them or not. However, I estimate it will be at least 2 to 3 weeks after I get them before I can even try them. The weather has to cool down first. I won't even look at them or unbox them until then.

Oct 13, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #2,946 of 4,580
I'm in. I just bought my first pair of audiophile headphones (AD900X) 3 weeks ago and I'm already upgrading. damn LOL.

So excited for these to come. Wish I knew about this before i purchased the AD900X

Oct 13, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #2,947 of 4,580
I'm in. I just bought my first pair of audiophile headphones (AD900X) 3 weeks ago and I'm already upgrading. damn LOL.

So excited for these to come. Wish I knew about this before i purchased the AD900X

Well you can make most of your money back with the AD900X.  Or, in the off chance you prefer the AD900X, you can sell the K7xx for more than the $200 you paid for it.  You'll most likely prefer the K7xx though.

Oct 13, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #2,948 of 4,580

Well you can make most of your money back with the AD900X.  Or, in the off chance you prefer the AD900X, you can sell the K7xx for more than the $200 you paid for it.  You'll most likely prefer the K7xx though.

I plan on the K7xx being my endgame headphone, so I really hope I prefer it over the AD900X ! lol. I like the sound signature of the AD900X (neutral, analytical), but would prefer a tad more bass. From what I've read, the K7xx should fill those shoes.

I plan on selling the AD900X after I spend some time with the K7xx.

I'm worried about not having an amp to drive the K7xx though. The AD900X does fine without an amp, but I'm not sure how the K7xx will react. Might have to order that Schiit Magni 2 Uber a little earlier than expected .. lol.

Oct 13, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #2,949 of 4,580

I plan on the K7xx being my endgame headphone, so I really hope I prefer it over the AD900X ! lol. I like the sound signature of the AD900X (neutral, analytical), but would prefer a tad more bass. From what I've read, the K7xx should fill those shoes.

I'm worried about not having an amp to drive the K7xx though. The AD900X does fine without an amp, but I'm not sure how the K7xx will react. Might have to order that Schiit Magni 2 Uber a little earlier than expected .. lol.

Yeah the K7xx will need an amp.  It has much lower efficiency than the AD900X.  Also the AD900X isn't analytical; close to neutral yes (but on the bass light side), but if you want analytical then try the K701 or K702, or the Sennheiser HD 800 on a neutral solid state amp which is so boring in my opinion.  The K7xx is meant to be a musical version of the K701/K702, since the latter are generally thought to be not good for listening to music.

Oct 13, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #2,950 of 4,580

The K7XX is a touch dark but is still close to neutral. I always urge people to upgrade their components one at a time. This allows you see each components part in the chain and understand your setup better. I do recommend an amp but i think waiting a week or two will help you appreciate its role more. 

Oct 13, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #2,951 of 4,580
My brief comments on the sound signature in comparison to the HD650 and DT880 250ohm off a Schiit Asgard through a RME DAC.

DT880 - absolute detail monster.

HD650 - smooth, lush, beautiful.

K7XX - loud, punchy, dynamic, fun.

Currently really satisfied with my trifecta.

Like you I have the HD650 and K7XX. I agree on both. The 650 reminds me of listening to a good set of room speakers, but more often than not as of late, I find myself reaching for the K7XX. Paired with the Asgard 2, it is just a lot of fun to listen to. I love them both though, and will no doubt buy more cans when the next one is too hard to pass on.

Oct 14, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #2,952 of 4,580
Yeah the K7xx will need an amp.  It has much lower efficiency than the AD900X.  Also the AD900X isn't analytical; close to neutral yes (but on the bass light side), but if you want analytical then try the K701 or K702, or the Sennheiser HD 800 on a neutral solid state amp which is so boring in my opinion.  The K7xx is meant to be a musical version of the K701/K702, since the latter are generally thought to be not good for listening to music.

I figured I'd need an amp. I'm going to get them first before I purchase the Schiit but I was already banking on needing one anyway.

The K7XX is a touch dark but is still close to neutral. I always urge people to upgrade their components one at a time. This allows you see each components part in the chain and understand your setup better. I do recommend an amp but i think waiting a week or two will help you appreciate its role more. 

Absolutely. I already have a solid DAC in my Xonar DX so only having to grab an amp is relieving.

I was looking into the Schiit Valli aswell. I'm not entirely sure which one I want to go with, or maybe an Aune X1, though I'm already happy with the Xonar DX and don't want to lose the Dolby processing it gives me for gaming. The Magni 2 Uber looks great for the price though, not sure it can be beat.

Oct 14, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #2,953 of 4,580
Why hasn't the drop ended yet?  The sooner it ends, the sooner they'll ship (hopefully).  Come on people, start buying.  You know you want it.  Plus they go for well over $200 on the used market so you can make a small profit.
I just really want mine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back