The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Oct 18, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #2,986 of 4,580
I'm not sure what's "shameful" about enjoying the hobby while living within our means. I don't mean to attack you, I'm just curious.

Unfortunately, you completely misunderstood my comment. It's not about the cost; it's about the sound. In the world of serious high-performance audio, we don't care what something costs - it's the sound that counts and that's how products are classified (ie. mid-fi, etc). Here, headphones are classified by their cost, which often is not reflective of their sound quality. Hope that was clear.

Oct 18, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #2,987 of 4,580
  To a degree the industry fosters this by footballing pricing. My best example is the 2 pair of Martin Logan Mykros 90s that have a M.S.R.P. of $299 yet I paid $40 new a piece (no, they aren't knock offs). They sound fantastic. The average consumer in electronics comes to expect a certain quality of sound for a certain price point.

May I ask where you purchased Martin Logan Mykros 90s at such good price? I'd like to get one.

Oct 19, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #2,991 of 4,580
Why would one want to?

I have not, and will probably stay away from mods like this. I really enjoy the sound of the K7xx, but also the comfort. I find them more comfortable than the HD650, and keep going back to the AKGs time and time again for that reason alone. The ear pads, clamping force and overall fit just work for me. That said, if changing pads affect the sound, I'd be interested to at least know how.

Oct 19, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #2,993 of 4,580
Unfortunately, you completely misunderstood my comment. It's not about the cost; it's about the sound. In the world of serious high-performance audio, we don't care what something costs - it's the sound that counts and that's how products are classified (ie. mid-fi, etc). Here, headphones are classified by their cost, which often is not reflective of their sound quality. Hope that was clear.
If you're able to go drop hundreds or thousands of dollars on audio equipment that's fine. All the more power to you but you need to realize most people will serisouly consider the price of what they are purchasing before they go out and buy an item.

Being able to sort by both price and sound quality would be ideal. However, sound quality can be very subjective. It's much easier to search for new gear based on price and use reviews to help with the research.

Oct 19, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #2,994 of 4,580
If you're able to go drop hundreds or thousands of dollars on audio equipment that's fine. All the more power to you but you need to realize most people will serisouly consider the price of what they are purchasing before they go out and buy an item.

Being able to sort by both price and sound quality would be ideal. However, sound quality can be very subjective. It's much easier to search for new gear based on price and use reviews to help with the research.

Is there a language barrier here? I'm not joking.

Again, it's not about classifying components based on their price; it's about classifying components based on their sound. If you're a native English speaker please re-read my posts without a preconceived notion as to their content. There's nothing else left to say.

Oct 19, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #2,995 of 4,580
I can certainly appreciate your sentiment, and it's clear you've invested heavily on your hobby, and are quite knowledgeable. At the same time, however, many of us are price-sensitive. Since I'm saving to buy a house, I need to make the most of my disposable income.

I'm not sure what's "shameful" about enjoying the hobby while living within our means. I don't mean to attack you, I'm just curious.

You misunderstood him. If I understand him correctly, he was implying that we shouldn't base "how good a headphone is" on it's price because then we might discount a great headphone such as the Mikros 90's because of their inexpensive price. I agree. On the flip side, we shouldn't assume that a $2000 headphone is "great" due to it's high price. We should base the merits on their sound. How much we are willing or able to spend is another matter.

Oct 19, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #2,997 of 4,580
Is there a language barrier here? I'm not joking.

Again, it's not about classifying components based on their price; it's about classifying components based on their sound. If you're a native English speaker please re-read my posts without a preconceived notion as to their content. There's nothing else left to say.

I was going to let this go, but I am unable to do so after reading again. As a person who speaks English as a native language, your reply is rude and uncalled for on a forum where the topic is just audio products. Nothing more than audio products and nothing important enough to go off like that. My apologies if I misunderstood your conversation as professional audiophile banter, but the reply seemed lo-fi in its intent.

Now, back to all things audio. Cheers and happy listening.

Oct 19, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #2,998 of 4,580
I was going to let this go, but I am unable to do so after reading again. As a person who speaks English as a native language, your reply is rude and uncalled for on a forum where the topic is just audio products. Nothing more than audio products and nothing important enough to go off like that. My apologies if I misunderstood your conversation as professional audiophile banter, but the reply seemed lo-fi in its intent.

Now, back to all things audio. Cheers and happy listening.

When one has to explain the same thing three times in a row on a board where many participants are not native English speakers, it's is not an unreasonable question. I am thrilled that you chose to address this issue in the course of your 22 posts on this forum, in lieu of discussing headphones. The posts you're referring to were audio-driven. Perhaps a better idea of the forum culture and composition could have spared you the time. Good luck.

Oct 20, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #3,000 of 4,580
Can anyone offer an opinion on the Philip Fidelio X2 vs AKG K7XX? The K7XX's are currently cheaper than the Fidelio X2's with the Massdrop deal, but I'm not a massive fan of the miniature 3-pin "XLR" jack as I had considered swapping my Antlion ModMic with the V-Moda Boompro, which requires a 3.5mm input jack. I'm replacing a pair of AKG K550's that recently broke. I was really fond of them for their clarity and leanness; they appeared neutral to me. However I always wanted a little more expansion in the soundstage and slightly more impact, something I felt was slightly missing due to the weak clamp of the K550's that leaked sound, as well as their closed earcups. The K7XX's appear to resolve these niggles.

I listen to many different styles of music, but I generally prefer clarity over impact as I don't listen to EDM or anything like that. I will be using the headphones for a variety of different purposes, but mostly for gaming and listening to music on my desktop with a NFB-15 from Audio-GD. I will also be using the headphones for watching films on my television set in another room. This is a slight concern as I feel like I really need another amplifier/DAC to enjoy cans of this calibre with my Blu-rays and Netflix. The audio from my television is usable at best. I might pick up a used Audioengine D1 and run the digital optical out to that and then plug the headphones (and speakers) into the D1. Any thoughts on this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back