The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Mar 29, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #2,074 of 4,580
Forgive me if this is a repeat, I pretty much skipped well over 100 pages after getting tired of reading the same posts over and over...

Until this morning, I thought this was just a FOTM can. With the price of the HD650s right now, I wasn't too sure if this headphone was worth my purchase.

So far, of all my equipment, there's been little to no synergy between my K7xx and any of my gear. So I had been on the fence about selling them. I was never really moved by the K7xx. The only impressive pairing, to my ears, was with my Gen.4 iPad. It sounded descent enough with my phone (Sammy, Note3), but certainly nothing worth posting about. But paired with the iPad, wow!

I don't know how I feel about this. This almost makes all my expensive headphones and gear redundanct. Well, I won't go that far... it is an impressive pairing.

Reently, I have purchased a slew of new cans that are a fair bit different from my traditional sound signature, to test how my tastes have changed. So I'm currently in the process of selling my unused gear. I only bring this up since it's forced me to listen to headphones that I haven't worn in ages. The K7xx seems just smooth enough that it doesn't fit into my typical V-shaped or treble-forward niche. I blame the K7xx for pushing my curiosity to venture outside of my comfort threshold.

Now I'm not saying that the K7xx is relaxed, dark, or even laid back. But compared to all my HE-4 and HD800, the K7xx seems warm and congested. This is heightened by my warm AudioGD dac/amp. I would consider the k7xx just slightly tilted towards warm, but not quite there, when paired with a cold ir clinical dac. Paired with something already warm, the sound gets too syrupy for my liking. Not sure if anyone has similar impressions with these cans?

As for the treble, I never found it bright, unless the amp or recording were overly bright. But depending on the amp, I felt my K7xx's treble could go from buttery smooth all the way to impactful, with much authority.

Ultimately though, it seems the mids are really where this AKG's strengths really shine. The mids seems very focused and forward to my ears, without congestion or hollowness I normally get with other mid-centic cans.

I haven't taken the time to do any critical comparisons, but I feel it necessary to say the K7xx are certainly worth their asking price, as well as being a very well balanced headphone, in terms of value and all-rounder-ness (made up words kick butt!). I don't know if I would ever described it as neutral like I keep seeing popping up... but rather, natural. The sound is organic, without being laid-back.

My only real concern is, of the half-a-dozen configurations (dacs, amps, etc) I tested the k7xx with, I just cannot find a pairing that beats it paired with my ipad. This cannot be right, right? I just cannot see any practicality with spending gobs of cash to try to find a TOTL setup to run these, just to best my iPad!

What I discovered this morning blew my mind when I sat down to watch my Sunday morning shows on Netflix. Not sure if the earpads finally broke-in, if the headphones "fully" burned in, or if trying out all my old cans changed my impressions of the K7xx... there was just some magic that I cannot explain. Until this morning, I was on the fence about selling these and passing them along to a new home... but just cannot see selling these with such synergy.

Before this morning, I wasn't too sure what all the fuss was about. I thought the K7xx was just FOTM. But I'm not so sure any more. I'm looking forward to retesting some dac and amp combos. It may be too early to tell.. but these cans could be the another HD650 or HD800 and just be pick as hell with source.

FOTM or not... I like these stealthy little things!

Out of my modest collection of headphones, no headphone has come close to the K7xx's synergy with my Lyr. They just seem so effortless with it. I am also awaiting the Gustard H10 from Massdrop, but I have a feeling that the K7xx excel with hybrid amps such as the Project Ember, the Schiit Audio Vali, or the Lyr. AKG K7s favor current. Again, they really come alive on my Lyr more than my high impedance Sennheisers (which need an OTL) or my planar HE-500s (which I suspect will shine with the Gustard). Indeed, I am considering keeping the Lyr just for my K7xx's, even if I grab an OTL for my Senns and prefer the H10 with the Hifimans. This will depend on how the Gustard pairs with the K7xx, though. For what its worth, more than my other headphones, the K7xxs sounded awful with my O2, which is the first headphone I did not like with it, including the Q701, which I somehow prefer out of the O2 to the Lyr.

Mar 29, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #2,077 of 4,580
No different to stock cable. I don't expect any SQ differences in cables of such a short length anyway, it's a cable :p I just wanted something shorter and lighter as the stock cable is heavy and long and I can feel it moving my head around!

Mar 29, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #2,078 of 4,580
  No different to stock cable. I don't expect any SQ differences in cables of such a short length anyway, it's a cable :p I just wanted something shorter and lighter as the stock cable is heavy and long and I can feel it moving my head around!

I see. I might order one as well, since the stock cable is pretty long for my needs.

Mar 29, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #2,080 of 4,580
Out of my modest collection of headphones, no headphone has come close to the K7xx's synergy with my Lyr. They just seem so effortless with it. I am also awaiting the Gustard H10 from Massdrop, but I have a feeling that the K7xx excel with hybrid amps such as the Project Ember, the Schiit Audio Vali, or the Lyr. AKG K7s favor current. Again, they really come alive on my Lyr more than my high impedance Sennheisers (which need an OTL) or my planar HE-500s (which I suspect will shine with the Gustard). Indeed, I am considering keeping the Lyr just for my K7xx's, even if I grab an OTL for my Senns and prefer the H10 with the Hifimans. This will depend on how the Gustard pairs with the K7xx, though. For what its worth, more than my other headphones, the K7xxs sounded awful with my O2, which is the first headphone I did not like with it, including the Q701, which I somehow prefer out of the O2 to the Lyr.

+1
Nice.很专业

Mar 30, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #2,081 of 4,580
blink.gif
 701 702 712  7XX
would there be a K7+1 in the future sale $100!?

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #2,082 of 4,580
Hi all, an update to my previous post yesterday excited about the AKG K7XX.
Yesterday at north America's largest can jam meet to date, I vigorously tested between the K7XX, Sennheiser HD 600 & 650. I had previously thought the K7XX was the best, but after critical testing on these I found that the HD 600 also shared the characteristics of being good soundstage, good bass, perfect texture / tonal balance & instrument separation. What raised the bar for the HD 600 to me was the midrange being even more natural/organic sounding and the treble being ever so slightly more detailed. THis was tested with 3 separate (New prototype) amp+DAC setups, including with Geek Out 450 DAC + Cavalli Liquid Silicon mini-amp; Schiit Modi 2 + Schiit Vali. I thought the HD 600 & 650 both sounded the exact same, except for a louder volume from the 600 I believe maybe because of impendence. 2 other experienced head-fi-ers also basically agreed with me on this too. HD 600 look: cool enough. Sound: very organic / lifelike and punchy. Sound quality: 8/10

Mar 30, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #2,084 of 4,580
how does the k7xx compare with the he400i?

They are somewhat similar with a few differences. The K7XX has slightly more bass and a larger soundstage while the 400i has slightly more forward vocals. Highs are about the same.

Mar 30, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #2,085 of 4,580
Hey all.

I have the k7xx from the 3rd MD.  I like them, but I currently have them for sale.  Honestly, if I could wear them around my neck.... I'd probably keep them.  I know that's probably dumb, but I want a phone that I can take with me, whether or not its open/sealed.  I feel like I'm chained to my desk with the headphones.

Anyway... reason I'm posting is I'm considering the k553 on MD currently, or a K545.  I'm wondering if these have the same sonic qualities of the K7XX or if they differ, how?  I wouldn't mind a little more bass PUNCH, but not too much.  I like to hear the mids... Im a big fan of Grado, but I just can't wear those freakin things.

So anyway.... do the k550/553 or K545 have a similar sound to these?  I'm also considering the SoundMAGIC HP150(which I had before... but can't wear them around the neck haha), Yamaha HPH-MT220, or Ultrasone HFI-580... or something.  Basically i want a closed can that doesn't have a recessed midrange, but still good/punchy bass. (Rock(zep,rush), Metal(iron maiden, megadeth, metallica), Blues(stevie ray vaughan, joe bonamassa)).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back