The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Mar 29, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #2,056 of 4,580
I believe it. I have a Lyr + Gungnir, and no other headphone I have has better synergy with this system than my K7XX, not even my HE-500, which I feel do better with a SS amp, nor my HD 650, which crave voltage from an OTL.

Mar 29, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #2,057 of 4,580
  I believe it. I have a Lyr + Gungnir, and no other headphone I have has better synergy with this system than my K7XX, not even my HE-500, which I feel do better with a SS amp, nor my HD 650, which crave voltage from an OTL.

Hello, sorry but I didn't at all understand your last post. Can you please re-write this in a way that we can understand it? (which item was the headphone? Which system had better synergy, or did not have it, and sounded better with what?)

Mar 29, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #2,058 of 4,580

Hello, sorry but I didn't at all understand your last post. Can you please re-write this in a way that we can understand it? (which item one was the headphone? Which system had better synergy, or did not have it, and sounded better with what?)

otl means output transformerless. it's a type of tube amplifier. liu means that the k7xx matches very well with the lyr + gungnir. liu thinks that the he-500 sounds better from a solid state amplifier and the hd650 sounds better from an otl tube amplifier, so the he-500 and hd650 do not match with the lyr + gungnir as well as the k7xx.

Mar 29, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #2,059 of 4,580
Sorry, yes. I think K7xx may excel with a hybrid tube and solid state amplifier, which is what the Vali that you heard is. The Lyr is another amp by Schiit that is also a hybrid between tube and and solid state. It makes the K7xx come alive. However, I clearly have not had the chance to try a decent solid state amp with them yet; I am awaiting the Gustard H10, so I do not mean to say they cannot also sound fantastic with another amplifier. I do know they sound awful with my O2 amp (which is solid state), much worse than any of my other headphones, which I actually do like through the O2.

Mar 29, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #2,062 of 4,580
  Hello I just went all the way to a CanJam event, tried many of the 'big boys' and found that my personal sound sig. leans more towards the AKG K7XX, only to discover that I may have been left behind in the game getting this one!

Does anybody know where else I can buy the AKG K7XX, or when / if there will be another massdrop? I had subscribed to the massdrop at least...

I browse the for sale forums here every few days (bad habit, I know).... and I've seen multiple K7XX posted there recently. Typically for around the same price as buying new, give or take a few dollars. 

Mar 29, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #2,063 of 4,580
Forgive me if this is a repeat, I pretty much skipped well over 100 pages after getting tired of reading the same posts over and over...

Until this morning, I thought this was just a FOTM can. With the price of the HD650s right now, I wasn't too sure if this headphone was worth my purchase.

So far, of all my equipment, there's been little to no synergy between my K7xx and any of my gear. So I had been on the fence about selling them. I was never really moved by the K7xx. The only impressive pairing, to my ears, was with my Gen.4 iPad. It sounded descent enough with my phone (Sammy, Note3), but certainly nothing worth posting about. But paired with the iPad, wow!

I don't know how I feel about this. This almost makes all my expensive headphones and gear redundanct. Well, I won't go that far... it is an impressive pairing.

Reently, I have purchased a slew of new cans that are a fair bit different from my traditional sound signature, to test how my tastes have changed. So I'm currently in the process of selling my unused gear. I only bring this up since it's forced me to listen to headphones that I haven't worn in ages. The K7xx seems just smooth enough that it doesn't fit into my typical V-shaped or treble-forward niche. I blame the K7xx for pushing my curiosity to venture outside of my comfort threshold.

Now I'm not saying that the K7xx is relaxed, dark, or even laid back. But compared to all my HE-4 and HD800, the K7xx seems warm and congested. This is heightened by my warm AudioGD dac/amp. I would consider the k7xx just slightly tilted towards warm, but not quite there, when paired with a cold ir clinical dac. Paired with something already warm, the sound gets too syrupy for my liking. Not sure if anyone has similar impressions with these cans?

As for the treble, I never found it bright, unless the amp or recording were overly bright. But depending on the amp, I felt my K7xx's treble could go from buttery smooth all the way to impactful, with much authority.

Ultimately though, it seems the mids are really where this AKG's strengths really shine. The mids seems very focused and forward to my ears, without congestion or hollowness I normally get with other mid-centic cans.

I haven't taken the time to do any critical comparisons, but I feel it necessary to say the K7xx are certainly worth their asking price, as well as being a very well balanced headphone, in terms of value and all-rounder-ness (made up words kick butt!). I don't know if I would ever described it as neutral like I keep seeing popping up... but rather, natural. The sound is organic, without being laid-back.

My only real concern is, of the half-a-dozen configurations (dacs, amps, etc) I tested the k7xx with, I just cannot find a pairing that beats it paired with my ipad. This cannot be right, right? I just cannot see any practicality with spending gobs of cash to try to find a TOTL setup to run these, just to best my iPad!

What I discovered this morning blew my mind when I sat down to watch my Sunday morning shows on Netflix. Not sure if the earpads finally broke-in, if the headphones "fully" burned in, or if trying out all my old cans changed my impressions of the K7xx... there was just some magic that I cannot explain. Until this morning, I was on the fence about selling these and passing them along to a new home... but just cannot see selling these with such synergy.

Before this morning, I wasn't too sure what all the fuss was about. I thought the K7xx was just FOTM. But I'm not so sure any more. I'm looking forward to retesting some dac and amp combos. It may be too early to tell.. but these cans could be the another HD650 or HD800 and just be pick as hell with source.

FOTM or not... I like these stealthy little things!

Mar 29, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #2,064 of 4,580
They are supposed to pair real well with the gustard h10. I have one coming and should be able to comment in the near future.

Mar 29, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #2,065 of 4,580
I haven't taken the time to do any critical comparisons, but I feel it necessary to say the K7xx are certainly worth their asking price, as well as being a very well balanced headphone, in terms of value and all-rounder-ness (made up words kick butt!). I don't know if I would ever described it as neutral like I keep seeing pooping up... but rather, natural. The sound is organic, without being laid-back.

????????????????????

Mar 29, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #2,068 of 4,580

Just out of curiosity have you tried the K701/2, I mean the first models?

i had the k701 back in the day, paired with a headamp gs-1. it was a great combo, very detailed and with very good soundstage. lacked in bass and "meatiness," but that was how the k701 was supposed to sound. the k7xx is warmer, lusher, and with a slightly more compressed sound. that's my recollection of the k701, though this was over 8 years ago...

Mar 29, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #2,070 of 4,580

i had the k701 back in the day, paired with a headamp gs-1. it was a great combo, very detailed and with very good soundstage. lacked in bass and "meatiness," but that was how the k701 was supposed to sound. the k7xx is warmer, lusher, and with a slightly more compressed sound. that's my recollection of the k701, though this was over 8 years ago...

As a studio guy compressed sound is a scary tone. Looks like after the K701 AKG just keep adding more bass, probably 3db per model. 
tongue.gif
k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back