The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Mar 21, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #2,026 of 4,580
Reverberation said:
"Realistically, would I hear a difference with my set up, between something like the Fiio E17k, vs something like the Oppo HA-2? Would I need to also upgrade to higher quality audio files? (That becomes hard for me because I listen to a lot of metal, and haven't found much in the hi-res side). 

I haven't heard either of those, but if you plan on getting a single DAC/amp that runs off of battery make sure it can play while charging, or it could be a real bummer when the battery runs out and you want to listen.

also, there is plenty of high res metal, don't worry about that

Mar 21, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #2,027 of 4,580
  My headphones came in awhile back, and I've been enjoying them so far. I have a low serial number, and didn't experience any of the issues I've heard others have had. This is sort of a new hobby for me, so there's a lot of unknowns and I've been trying to read as much as I can to make informed decisions. Currently, I have no dac/amp and am pretty sure the sound is integrated into my motherboard. I do most of my listening either on my computer, (plugged into my Corsair SP2500) or from my portable devises (Samsung Galaxy Tab S, or Note 4). My daughter is also listens quite a bit, and uses an iphone 5. Right now, I'm mainly using pandora as a source, and I'm not even sure if that's adequate? It seems to sound ok, but really I wouldn't know what I don't know. I have no idea what the headphone are capable of, and how much benefit I'm going to get out of getting a dac/amp.

Originally, I was going to get some of the Schiit products. Did a good deal of research, and like the company. However, they're not very portable and I would get the most out of a more flexible solution which makes it easier to justify the purchase for me. Doubly so since I'm not sure how much of an improvement in audio quality I'm going to get. I've looked over a few options, up to around $300 USD. Realistically, would I hear a difference with my set up, between something like the Fiio E17k, vs something like the Oppo HA-2? Would I need to also upgrade to higher quality audio files? (That becomes hard for me because I listen to a lot of metal, and haven't found much in the hi-res side). 

pandora is not really adequate for your headphones full potential. if you ever hear noise or distortion, it is due to the low bitrate of pandora files.

first step for you for getting better sound is checking your music library (assuming you have ripped files) for their bit rate. if you have the original CDs, re-rip at least 320kbps LAME mp3. No real need to go much higher into lossless formats like FLAC considering you are currently satisfied with pandora. The difference between sound quality from 320kbps to bitrates lower is indeed audibly noticeable. don't worry about sampling rates or hi-rez sampling rate files as it is debatable whether that aspect even makes a difference. 

after that, any portable dac/amp solution well work. the oppo ha-2 uses a very high-end dac chip & is quite capable headphone amp (good value for its specs), but you may not need something that fancy. the ha-2 is nice b/c it comes with iOS compatibility and Android compatibility (and required cables) so will work with all devices in your house. Any Fiio option will also work & support support android/iOS, but you may need to purchase an micro-usb OTG cable for android and an apple adapter for iOS separately. Do note that with dac/amps, you will not be getting 33-66% improvement in performance when you spend that much extra as diminishing returns hit you and dac/amps already only account for perhaps 5-15% of sound quality improvements. I would recommend the HA-2 highly, but depends on personal budget and I wouldn't go higher in price point than that for you if you are looking for an entry level portable amp/dac.

Just remember the source files & headphones make the hugest impact on sound quality, and you already have nice headphones. now you just need to feed it a nice quality source file & you should be able to hear an appreciable improvement in sound quality.

Mar 21, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #2,028 of 4,580
My headphones came in awhile back, and I've been enjoying them so far. I have a low serial number, and didn't experience any of the issues I've heard others have had. This is sort of a new hobby for me, so there's a lot of unknowns and I've been trying to read as much as I can to make informed decisions. Currently, I have no dac/amp and am pretty sure the sound is integrated into my motherboard. I do most of my listening either on my computer, (plugged into my Corsair SP2500) or from my portable devises (Samsung Galaxy Tab S, or Note 4). My daughter is also listens quite a bit, and uses an iphone 5. Right now, I'm mainly using pandora as a source, and I'm not even sure if that's adequate? It seems to sound ok, but really I wouldn't know what I don't know. I have no idea what the headphone are capable of, and how much benefit I'm going to get out of getting a dac/amp.

Originally, I was going to get some of the Schiit products. Did a good deal of research, and like the company. However, they're not very portable and I would get the most out of a more flexible solution which makes it easier to justify the purchase for me. Doubly so since I'm not sure how much of an improvement in audio quality I'm going to get. I've looked over a few options, up to around $300 USD. Realistically, would I hear a difference with my set up, between something like the Fiio E17k, vs something like the Oppo HA-2? Would I need to also upgrade to higher quality audio files? (That becomes hard for me because I listen to a lot of metal, and haven't found much in the hi-res side). 

Also new to all of this so here are my two cents.

I found there to be a pretty big difference between plugging these directly into my computer and into the amp/DAC. I generally use Spotify with high res streaming turned on. I can definitely hear the difference between that and something like YouTube regardless of what headphones I'm using

Of the four headphones I have, the k 7xx are definitely the best sounding. Even prior to burn in.

Mar 23, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #2,029 of 4,580
What I've been listening to my 7XX from. Eh, not bad.

iBasso DX50 + FiiO E12

Mar 24, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #2,033 of 4,580
  What I've been listening to my 7XX from. Eh, not bad.

iBasso DX50 + FiiO E12

What is the iBasso DX50 like? Also how does the K7XX stack up to the quincy series or K712 Pro? (if you have auditioned either)

Mar 24, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #2,034 of 4,580
  Also how does the K7XX stack up to the quincy series or K712 Pro? (if you have auditioned either)

K7XX is the heaviest bass of any K7 besides maybe the 712.  Slightly more veiled treble than a typical AKG K7__.  Darker sound signature thru the upper end, than the Q-701, and more bass.  Wider, almost artificially wide/panned soundstage.  And that is saying something, becuase as all of us AKG fans know, AKG K7__ series, has the widest soundtstages in the headphone world.  Rivalled only by the likes of the Sennheiser HD800 (which lacks the upper mid and lower treble detail of the AKG K7__ series).

Overall it's the darkest and bassiest, but also has an artificially wide soundstage, compared to the extremely wide, yet still natural soundstages of the K701, or Q701.
Pretty much right in between the Quincy Q701 and K712 tho, sonically.

Mar 24, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #2,035 of 4,580
Also new to all of this so here are my two cents.

I found there to be a pretty big difference between plugging these directly into my computer and into the amp/DAC. I generally use Spotify with high res streaming turned on. I can definitely hear the difference between that and something like YouTube regardless of what headphones I'm using

Of the four headphones I have, the k 7xx are definitely the best sounding. Even prior to burn in.

No effort on your part to upgrade your amp, dac, or source, in any combination of those eithe,r will go un noticed by the 7XXs  and several other better head phones.  There is a problem with this of course, should become readily apparent- when do you stop upgrading?  In speaker audio it never ends and is a terminal condition frequently called upgraditis, but in general it is fairly harmless.  I would go for the better gear and enjoy your 7XXs.

Mar 25, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #2,036 of 4,580
just finished balanced mod of my k7xx. looks pretty good but haven't had a chance to test it balanced yet (just using with 1/4" adapter)...will post pics tomorrow.

Mar 25, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #2,037 of 4,580
I am about to give up.

Just got my RMA'd set and they rattle way worse the the ones i sent in.  There is a very slight rattle in the right and an extreme rattle in the left during any bass frequency tests.  
I might just ask for a complete refund and stick with my 4 year old K701s.

0/2.

Mar 25, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #2,038 of 4,580
  I am about to give up.

Just got my RMA'd set and they rattle way worse the the ones i sent in.  There is a very slight rattle in the right and an extreme rattle in the left during any bass frequency tests.  
I might just ask for a complete refund and stick with my 4 year old K701s.

0/2.

Just curious.. as I kind of went through this myself.
What tests are you running? At what level? If you set output level equally Calibrated microphone, preferable, or at least something to measure the sound output) to both the 701 and K7XX and do the same tests to both, what are the results?

Mar 26, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #2,040 of 4,580
Another Massdrop/AKG collaboration coming out tomorrow.... It's not an exclusive like the K7XX but still quite a good deal IMHO. And at the moment nobody else has it, so perhaps it IS exclusive, at least for a little while.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/760386/new-release-the-akg-k553-pro-featuring-a-killer-massdrop-deal#post_11446328

Users who are viewing this thread

Back