The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Mar 16, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #1,996 of 4,580
Yeah 
  yes, the driver lightly brushes my ear as well. discomfort is minimal due to the light clamping pressure.

for other headphones with too shallow a depth, you can always stuff tissue/paper towels under the earpads edge to prevent it from compressing as much if it is really bothering you.

Yes, thank gods for that :D I can't back to my M50s anymore, it's got a vice grip on my head compared to the k7xx.

Mar 16, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #1,997 of 4,580
@Sillyness
Glad you're enjoying your stack.

So did you end up using the Magni or the SYS to control your monitors?

We're in the middle of moving house, so I've only gotten the essentials up and running at this point. The monitors are still stacked in the corner of my new office. I keep getting distracted with listening to these cans...

So, right now I'm switching between Magni 2U and Vali. It seems like I tend to favor plugging them into the Vali at the moment. I may end up keeping the Vali on my desk and using the Magni 2U at work, which would mean I'll use the SYS for the monitors as Vali has no pre-outs. And I might need another Modi. heh.

Mar 16, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #1,998 of 4,580
The K7xx is super comfortable to wear. The sound is true to the advertising with just a little bump in the bass. I don't find the treble to be harsh at all as some have suggested.

To be honest, I find my K7xx more enjoyable for movies than music. Just my opinion. I think that has a lot to do with me preferring just the opposite in my HD600.

All in all, these K7xx are well worth the asking price.

Mar 16, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #1,999 of 4,580
I just received the K7xx today and for the price they are an absolute steal. I was expecting so so quality but I was shocked when I first listened to them using just a HA-2 portable dac/amp using my phone as a source. This is my first AKG headphone and now Im very curious how their flagship sounds.

Mar 17, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #2,000 of 4,580
The more I listen to it, the more I am in disbelief I only paid $200. Made in China or not, the K7XX is just as solid as the Annie (twin) and K712 (cousin). Considering the latters' prices, we can say we have us a mid-tier $350-$400 headphone in our hands. Thank you, AKG and Massdrop.

Mar 17, 2015 at 6:50 AM Post #2,001 of 4,580
in case anyone needs one, i have a stock k7xx detachable cord for sale ($10 shipped). i just finished my 4-prong balanced mod so i don't need the cable anymore...thanks!

Mar 17, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #2,002 of 4,580
The more I listen to it, the more I am in disbelief I only paid $200. Made in China or not, the K7XX is just as solid as the Annie (twin) and K712 (cousin). Considering the latters' prices, we can say we have us a mid-tier $350-$400 headphone in our hands. Thank you, AKG and Massdrop.

Agreed.  The crazy thing is, I'm overall happier with the build quality of the K7XX vs the Annie.  My Annie's right cup tended to creak/squeek at the hinge on occasion, whereas this doesn't happen at all on my K7XX's.  I realize I'm a bit biased since most Annies didn't exhibit that issue, but it's a nice bonus not to have it occur anymore.

Mar 17, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #2,004 of 4,580
here's the tutorial thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/483861/guide-balanced-akg-k702-with-detachable-4-pin-mini-xlr-cable/15

taking things apart was easy. for me the hardest part was shortening the barrel of the mini xlr that fits inside the cup. I had to hacksaw it a bit. other than that it's a pretty easy mod. a number of years ago I modded my k501 to be dual entry and balanced...the k7xx mod was much easier.

Mar 17, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #2,006 of 4,580
  I owned the K701s a few years ago and remember them  as having a more detailed and cleaner treble. I am still breaking them in at this point and am adjusting to the overall sound signature.

i know what you mean...although i don't know how similar these are supposed to be to the k701. i had the k701 with a gs-1 and it was a really nice combo back in the day...i still haven't made up my mind about the k7xx yet...but to be fair, i haven't really listened to them critically all that much yet. 

Mar 17, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #2,008 of 4,580
Has anyone had any luck reversing the bass port mod? 

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

Yup, when I took off the stickers I put them on wax paper. Then reapplied them with tweezers it takes a couple of trys to get it over the whole hole again.

Mar 18, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #2,009 of 4,580
  I owned the K701s a few years ago and remember them  as having a more detailed and cleaner treble. I am still breaking them in at this point and am adjusting to the overall sound signature.

Treble and mid highs have improved over time for me. Switching to a better headphone amp made any issues I had with the highs disappear. After spending some time with these, I think as others have stated that they are on par with $300-$500 headphones. 

Mar 18, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #2,010 of 4,580
Treble and mid highs have improved over time for me. Switching to a better headphone amp made any issues I had with the highs disappear. After spending some time with these, I think as others have stated that they are on par with $300-$500 headphones. 

that sounds abt rite as they r based on the $400+ k702 65th annie that is alrdy competitive at that price range

Users who are viewing this thread

Back