The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Mar 30, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #2,086 of 4,580
  Hey all.

I have the k7xx from the 3rd MD.  I like them, but I currently have them for sale.  Honestly, if I could wear them around my neck.... I'd probably keep them.  I know that's probably dumb, but I want a phone that I can take with me, whether or not its open/sealed.  I feel like I'm chained to my desk with the headphones.

Anyway... reason I'm posting is I'm considering the k553 on MD currently, or a K545.  I'm wondering if these have the same sonic qualities of the K7XX or if they differ, how?  I wouldn't mind a little more bass PUNCH, but not too much.  I like to hear the mids... Im a big fan of Grado, but I just can't wear those freakin things.

So anyway.... do the k550/553 or K545 have a similar sound to these?  I'm also considering the SoundMAGIC HP150(which I had before... but can't wear them around the neck haha), Yamaha HPH-MT220, or Ultrasone HFI-580... or something.  Basically i want a closed can that doesn't have a recessed midrange, but still good/punchy bass. (Rock(zep,rush), Metal(iron maiden, megadeth, metallica), Blues(stevie ray vaughan, joe bonamassa)).

the 7XX is probably the bassiest of AKGs, although the 276 TIESTO might have more bass; i have one on back order so i can't comment on it quite yet. The 545/550/551/553 are almost identical in their sound, comparing to the 550s;the 553 & 551 have softer pads for a better seal. the 545s have slightly more low/sub bass, and the 553s have a smoothed out upper treble. The only one from the 5series you can wear around your neck is the 545. Hope that helps.

Mar 30, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #2,087 of 4,580
the 7XX is probably the bassiest of AKGs, although the 276 TIESTO might have more bass; i have one on back order so i can't comment on it quite yet. The 545/550/551/553 are almost identical in their sound, comparing to the 550s;the 553 & 551 have softer pads for a better seal. the 545s have slightly more low/sub bass, and the 553s have a smoothed out upper treble. The only one from the 5series you can wear around your neck is the 545. Hope that helps.

I recently had both the 545 and the 550 phones. The 550's were more enjoyable and closer to the signature of my Quincy Jones Q701s. They have the most full bodied bass of the three. The treble was superior via the Q701's ,but I enjoyed the full bodied sound of the 550's more. The 545's are respectable,but not nearly as good as the others IMO. Sub basi is good but no body with highs similar to the 550s. So in essence, the worst traits of the 550 and the Q's. I ordered the 553's thru massdrop as they are supposedly like the 550's but with a smoother high end. Sounds like my ideal headphone.

Mar 30, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #2,089 of 4,580

Thanks for info, I knew something was up with the K7xx having enough bass to over power my closed MDR-7520's.

Mar 30, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #2,090 of 4,580
Can't you turn the drivers on the k550 flat and hang them around your neck?

They kinda turn the wrong way, as in they turn so that the drivers face out and not in to your body. They are also just really too big for that application, would feel a bit ridiculous,

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #2,091 of 4,580
They kinda turn the wrong way, as in they turn so that the drivers face out and not in to your body. They are also just really too big for that application, would feel a bit ridiculous,

Got it. Thanks for that info.

I'm surprised the k7xx would have more bass than the k550/553. I assumed because they were closed they'd have a little more by default.

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #2,092 of 4,580
Got it. Thanks for that info.

I'm surprised the k7xx would have more bass than the k550/553. I assumed because they were closed they'd have a little more by default.

for the k550, it really depends how good a seal u get how nice the bass response is. but ya, a lot of the older akg products have been called bass anemic or basslite.

Mar 31, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #2,093 of 4,580
  Hi all, an update to my previous post yesterday excited about the AKG K7XX.
Yesterday at north America's largest can jam meet to date, I vigorously tested between the K7XX, Sennheiser HD 600 & 650. I had previously thought the K7XX was the best, but after critical testing on these I found that the HD 600 also shared the characteristics of being good soundstage, good bass, perfect texture / tonal balance & instrument separation. What raised the bar for the HD 600 to me was the midrange being even more natural/organic sounding and the treble being ever so slightly more detailed. THis was tested with 3 separate (New prototype) amp+DAC setups, including with Geek Out 450 DAC + Cavalli Liquid Silicon mini-amp; Schiit Modi 2 + Schiit Vali. I thought the HD 600 & 650 both sounded the exact same, except for a louder volume from the 600 I believe maybe because of impendence. 2 other experienced head-fi-ers also basically agreed with me on this too. HD 600 look: cool enough. Sound: very organic / lifelike and punchy. Sound quality: 8/10

I have the HD 600 and HD 650 as well as an K712, I often debate which I think is the best, I gave up which I like the most. I do think the HD 650 is slightly more refined sound than the HD 600 while the HD 600 had a better balance, they do sound very similar, but they have their subtle differences. The impedance is the same between the two. The HD 600 has more prominence in the 3-4khz region which makes the sound a bit more forward.  

Mar 31, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #2,099 of 4,580
Fair enough. The author of that post will be around sooner or later and I am sure he will respond to your question. People here are really good about that. Welcome aboard!

Mar 31, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #2,100 of 4,580
Hey all.

I have the k7xx from the 3rd MD.  I like them, but I currently have them for sale.  Honestly, if I could wear them around my neck.... I'd probably keep them.  I know that's probably dumb, but I want a phone that I can take with me, whether or not its open/sealed.  I feel like I'm chained to my desk with the headphones.

Anyway... reason I'm posting is I'm considering the k553 on MD currently, or a K545.  I'm wondering if these have the same sonic qualities of the K7XX or if they differ, how?  I wouldn't mind a little more bass PUNCH, but not too much.  I like to hear the mids... Im a big fan of Grado, but I just can't wear those freakin things.

So anyway.... do the k550/553 or K545 have a similar sound to these?  I'm also considering the SoundMAGIC HP150(which I had before... but can't wear them around the neck haha), Yamaha HPH-MT220, or Ultrasone HFI-580... or something.  Basically i want a closed can that doesn't have a recessed midrange, but still good/punchy bass. (Rock(zep,rush), Metal(iron maiden, megadeth, metallica), Blues(stevie ray vaughan, joe bonamassa)).

The Yamaha HPH-MT220 sounds like the right choice for your needs. The AKG 553 is awkward with finding a seal. It's not something that would be comfortable around your neck.
The Yamaha can be purchased from Amazon at a good price. If you don't like them, then they have their amazing return policy. You won't be able to do that with massdrop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back