The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Feb 4, 2015 at 6:18 AM Post #1,546 of 4,580

That would explain why I like the K7XX w/o the foam disks. I initially thought the K7XX sounded too warm and lack clarity in the upper mids and highs. Taking out the foam disks and foam covering the outer caps really improved the sound signature to my liking.

The K7XX is completely different since it's the only one with foam covering the outer caps. It sounds much more closed in. I'm truly amazed that someone can say they sound the same as the K702 Annies or K712 with the foam blocking the caps. It's gonna make me take impressions of HP on here with a HUGE grain of salt going forward.

They sound 99% the same as the 2nd batch of Annies with the K712 pads. The K712 sound different, more airy, peaky and dry. I have the older Annie here with small pads. They sound more intimate but if anything they lack air more than the K7XX. 

Feb 4, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #1,549 of 4,580

That would explain why I like the K7XX w/o the foam disks. I initially thought the K7XX sounded too warm and lack clarity in the upper mids and highs. Taking out the foam disks and foam covering the outer caps really improved the sound signature to my liking.

The K7XX is completely different since it's the only one with foam covering the outer caps. It sounds much more closed in. I'm truly amazed that someone can say they sound the same as the K702 Annies or K712 with the foam blocking the caps. It's gonna make me take impressions of HP on here with a HUGE grain of salt going forward.

I agree. I believe the bass increase on the K7xx ruined the headphones for me. I find bass is bloated and it distracts from the mids and highs. Removing the foam rings does improve the soundstage and the clarity of the highs, but it does reduce the bass and sometimes causes grainy highs. Can't fault much though. The price is killer, but if you are looking for the airy AKG sound, the K7xx are not for you. Better off with the K701 or perhaps the K712.

Feb 4, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #1,550 of 4,580
Or better yet, the one that makes sense for air and clarity without sounding overly plastic: the Q701.

Feb 4, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #1,551 of 4,580
You people are way over thinking this. Just enjoy your headphones!

Thank you Change, one of the best post I've seen on here. This hobby like all the hobby threads on here are purely subjective and to personal taste. But what would this our any other enthusiast site be without everyone's personal input.I can pick any cans, watch, knife, bike or whatever and someone will have a reaction from one end of the spectrum to the other! For as many people who will agree and like what you like you will always find others who are just the opposite. Bottom line is if it makes you feel good and serves your itch it does not really matter what anyone else thinks or feels
rolleyes.gif
 Everything does not have to be class warfare or as you say over-thought, enjoy what you have and can afford and let others do the same
wink_face.gif

Feb 4, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #1,552 of 4,580
Or better yet, the one that makes sense for air and clarity without sounding overly plastic: the Q701.

This.

The Q is still the best AKG that didn't venture into the warm side. Doesn't sound overly cold either! cough cough K701 :wink:

Feb 4, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #1,553 of 4,580
I'm glad i have my Q701 and very happy with it. I think I'll pass for the K7XX or buy it after 2 years or so if the price is around $150...

Feb 4, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #1,554 of 4,580
  They sound 99% the same as the 2nd batch of Annies with the K712 pads. The K712 sound different, more airy, peaky and dry. I have the older Annie here with small pads. They sound more intimate but if anything they lack air more than the K7XX. 

Can you confirm that the Annies don't have the foam covering the outer caps? If they don't then they should sound quite a bit different than the K7XX in terms of soundstage. The K7XX sounded very closed in before I took out the foam covering the outer caps. I find it hard that they can sound the same if one has foam covering the outer caps and one doesn't.

I agree. I believe the bass increase on the K7xx ruined the headphones for me. I find bass is bloated and it distracts from the mids and highs. Removing the foam rings does improve the soundstage and the clarity of the highs, but it does reduce the bass and sometimes causes grainy highs. Can't fault much though. The price is killer, but if you are looking for the airy AKG sound, the K7xx are not for you. Better off with the K701 or perhaps the K712.

You might also want to take off the foam covering the outer caps. It really opens them up and improves soundstage much more than just removing the foam rings. I think we have similar tastes in term so sound signature. I think I was the first one to post about liking the K7XX more w/o the foam rings.

Feb 4, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #1,558 of 4,580

Users who are viewing this thread

Back