The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Feb 3, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #1,531 of 4,580
Feb 3, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #1,532 of 4,580
  Any comprehensive reviews out yet? Kinda lazy to sift through this thread.

I think a better question to ask is where those are between the K712 and the Annies.
Given that both of them already had the chance to be thoroughly reviewed, and the fact that they're more similar than different from the K7XX, it would be enough to read up on those to get a good grasp on how the K7XX sound. Plus there's the added benefit of having a perspective on their performance.
What interests me most though is how they compare to the K712, as it is second only to the K812, judging by the price that is.
But being a happy owner of the K7XX, I can confirm that they're comparable to Beyers, at least the DT880 (600 Ohm). In short, soundwise they're pretty similar, but the AKG definitely takes the lead when it comes to comfort, nothing beats having an earcup so large that it doesn't make any contact with your ears.

Feb 3, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #1,533 of 4,580

I think a better question to ask is where those are between the K712 and the Annies.
Given that both of them already had the chance to be thoroughly reviewed, and the fact that they're more similar than different from the K7XX, it would be enough to read up on those to get a good grasp on how the K7XX sound. Plus there's the added benefit of having a perspective on their performance.
What interests me most though is how they compare to the K712, as it is second only to the K812, judging by the price that is.
But being a happy owner of the K7XX, I can confirm that they're comparable to Beyers, at least the DT880 (600 Ohm). In short, soundwise they're pretty similar, but the AKG definitely takes the lead when it comes to comfort, nothing beats having an earcup so large that it doesn't make any contact with your ears.

It's the depth of the pads, not the cup size.

Feb 3, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #1,534 of 4,580

For me, I find the Beyers to be more comfortable than the K7XX, though both are great in that regard.

It's the depth of the pads, not the cup size.

That's my one quibble with the K7XX comfort - my ears sometimes contact the inner fabric that's over the driver. In my case, I think it may be because I wear glasses and the huge diameter of the cup makes them rest further forward against the temples of my glasses, causing a slight angle to the cup against my head. And I've got a smallish head so I sometimes feel like I'm being swallowed up by the size of these things.

But they are great sounding for $200!

My head/ears also seem to get warmer wearing the K7XX for an extended time vs. the Beyer DT880 - perhaps it's the memory foam.

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #1,535 of 4,580

For me, I find the Beyers to be more comfortable than the K7XX, though both are great in that regard.

That's my one quibble with the K7XX comfort - my ears sometimes contact the inner fabric that's over the driver. In my case, I think it may be because I wear glasses and the huge diameter of the cup makes them rest further forward against the temples of my glasses, causing a slight angle to the cup against my head. And I've got a smallish head so I sometimes feel like I'm being swallowed up by the size of these things.

But they are great sounding for $200!

My head/ears also seem to get warmer wearing the K7XX for an extended time vs. the Beyer DT880 - perhaps it's the memory foam.

They are supposed to be angled against your head.  Make sure that the thicker part of the earpads is towards the back of your head.  If they are not already, then that might be why your ears touch the fabric screen.

Feb 3, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #1,536 of 4,580
Decided to go in on this despite owning a fairly new pair of Q701's. Looking forward to comparing the two. Not the biggest fan of the Q701's sound, so I'm hoping the K7XX is more to my liking. I figure if anything I can sell the Q701's for about what I paid for them or a small loss. I got it pretty cheap.

Feb 4, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #1,537 of 4,580
Feb 4, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #1,539 of 4,580

I've been contemplating getting a second pair as well so that I can mod one or both. Really want to try a balanced Y-cable mod that bypasses those hoops to the right driver. Figured I could swap parts between a pair so that one will have XLR inputs on both sides, and then just hardwire the other pair. Worth another $200... perhaps.

For fun, I just tried removing the outer caps and found they come off quite easily using an unbent paper clip. Just be careful to insert the wire straight into the holes and apply equal force counterclockwise - I slightly deformed one of the tiny plastic holes, but not enough that anyone except me would probably notice. I'm listening now without these covers.

Here's the cover removed, showing the foam disc behind the plastic grille:

I took off the foam on the outer caps and the sound is noticeable different. It doesn't seem to change the FR too much. A tad less bass as expected but mostly mid and upper bass so it sounds less boomy which is a good thing. Sounds brighter due to the decrease in bass but I'm not sure it did anything to the dip between 3k-5k. It would be great is someone can measure theirs with the foam on the outer caps removed. The biggest change is the soundstage. It's much wider and sound like an open HP. I was always puzzled at the semi closed sound of the K7XX at first. Now everything makes sense. Can someone confirm that the other K7s and the Q701 don't have the foam covering the outer caps?

I'm not sure how people keep saying the K7XX sounds the same as the K702 Annies when swapping pads unless they added the foam to the outer caps on the K702 Annies as well. The parts diagram from AKG doesn't show any foam covering the outer caps on the Annies. The sound would be extremely noticeable between foam and no foam. I don't see the foam on the parts diagram of any of the K7s so I highly doubt the K7xx sounds like the K702 Annies or K712 in stock configuration.

Feb 4, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #1,540 of 4,580
I'll stand by everyone who has heard them in saying they sound very much alike. I'll refrain from commenting on these mods, as I don't care for mods that you can't rapidly A/B, as people will always hear their mods being better.

Feb 4, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #1,541 of 4,580
I'll stand by everyone who has heard them in saying they sound very much alike. I'll refrain from commenting on these mods, as I don't care for mods that you can't rapidly A/B, as people will always hear their mods being better.

if he purchases two k7xx, he will be able to rapidly a/b as well as blind test :)

Feb 4, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #1,542 of 4,580

I took off the foam on the outer caps and the sound is noticeable different. It doesn't seem to change the FR too much. A tad less bass as expected but mostly mid and upper bass so it sounds less boomy which is a good thing. Sounds brighter due to the decrease in bass but I'm not sure it did anything to the dip between 3k-5k. It would be great is someone can measure theirs with the foam on the outer caps removed. The biggest change is the soundstage. It's much wider and sound like an open HP. I was always puzzled at the semi closed sound of the K7XX at first. Now everything makes sense. Can someone confirm that the other K7s and the Q701 don't have the foam covering the outer caps?

I'm not sure how people keep saying the K7XX sounds the same as the K702 Annies when swapping pads unless they added the foam to the outer caps on the K702 Annies as well. The parts diagram from AKG doesn't show any foam covering the outer caps on the Annies. The sound would be extremely noticeable between foam and no foam. I don't see the foam on the parts diagram of any of the K7s so I highly doubt the K7xx sounds like the K702 Annies or K712 in stock configuration.

It has already been confirmed a number of times in a number of threads, you can even see pics of K701 and some of the others where their internals are exposed if you search.

Why can't you?  Mod one side and not the other.  The difference in sound between channels will throw your brain off for a minute or so, but then you will be able to tell which side sounds better without much trouble.  Using music that has individual instruments panned hard to the left or right will make comparisons harder, but there's plenty of music with sounds that are centered or simultaneously panned to left and right without obstructing the melody and parts of the accompaniment taking place in the center.

The difference I heard in Q701 with those little foam disks was anything but subtle.  I'm accustomed to K701's razor-sharp transients, imaging, and lack of warmth while the Q701 was quite obviously warm in sound with muddy transients, like it is trying to slur sounds together, very ugly.  A number of the head-fiers that tried Q701 based on all the rave couldn't help but notice the same thing comparing it to whatever similarly-as-good headphones they happen to also have.  Removing the foam disks made it sound just like my K701, just with a touch more bass.  I've heard K702 and it is almost the same as my K701, just a tad more bass.

Feb 4, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #1,543 of 4,580

It has already been confirmed a number of times in a number of threads, you can even see pics of K701 and some of the others where their internals are exposed if you search.

Why can't you?  Mod one side and not the other.  The difference in sound between channels will throw your brain off for a minute or so, but then you will be able to tell which side sounds better without much trouble.  Using music that has individual instruments panned hard to the left or right will make comparisons harder, but there's plenty of music with sounds that are centered or simultaneously panned to left and right without obstructing the melody and parts of the accompaniment taking place in the center.

The difference I heard in Q701 with those little foam disks was anything but subtle.  I'm accustomed to K701's razor-sharp transients, imaging, and lack of warmth while the Q701 was quite obviously warm in sound with muddy transients, like it is trying to slur sounds together, very ugly.  A number of the head-fiers that tried Q701 based on all the rave couldn't help but notice the same thing comparing it to whatever similarly-as-good headphones they happen to also have.  Removing the foam disks made it sound just like my K701, just with a touch more bass.  I've heard K702 and it is almost the same as my K701, just a tad more bass.

I didnt find the difference between the K712 which doesn't have foam disks and the Q701 when both had the same pads subtle either, quite a big differences between the two. The foam does smear the transients a bit. And honestly I think the K712 sounds better because of the lack of foam, it does make it a bit more difficult to make it happy in terms of synergy as the treble can become problematic easily on some systems. I'm beginning to think the K712 may be the K702 with memory foam pads. And the K7XX and K702 Annies may be the Q701 with memory foam pads. Sadly I don't have the other headphones on hand to compare with the K712 so I can't say if that's true or not. 

Feb 4, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #1,544 of 4,580

That would explain why I like the K7XX w/o the foam disks. I initially thought the K7XX sounded too warm and lack clarity in the upper mids and highs. Taking out the foam disks and foam covering the outer caps really improved the sound signature to my liking.

I didnt find the difference between the K712 which doesn't have foam disks and the Q701 when both had the same pads subtle either, quite a big differences between the two. The foam does smear the transients a bit. And honestly I think the K712 sounds better because of the lack of foam, it does make it a bit more difficult to make it happy in terms of synergy as the treble can become problematic easily on some systems. I'm beginning to think the K712 may be the K702 with memory foam pads. And the K7XX and K702 Annies may be the Q701 with memory foam pads. Sadly I don't have the other headphones on hand to compare with the K712 so I can't say if that's true or not. 

The K7XX is completely different since it's the only one with foam covering the outer caps. It sounds much more closed in. I'm truly amazed that someone can say they sound the same as the K702 Annies or K712 with the foam blocking the caps. It's gonna make me take impressions of HP on here with a HUGE grain of salt going forward.

Feb 4, 2015 at 6:15 AM Post #1,545 of 4,580

Oh man 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back