The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Jan 29, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #1,501 of 4,580
  Nope. Unfortunately, I have not been able to personally compare the K7xx against the K712 or any of the K702s. You will probably be unable to find any conclusive measurements on the K7xxs.

If you already own the K712, the K7xx would most likely to extremely similar sonically from my understanding.

The K702 =/= K702 65th Annies. K702 65 Annies = K7xx. K702 65 Annies =/= K712, but they are quite similar. Some users report that the sonic differences between models are simply due to differences in earpads.

Hope this information is helpful.

Yeah, pretty much, although you obviously understand my confusion. I actually DID find some measurements on the K7XX on the <reference removed by admin.  Currently not allowed on head-fi.> forums... BUT they don't supply any comparison graphs. I wish headphone.com would update their graphs!

I love the K712 but if I have any complaint at all it's that it has slightly too much bass.  I think I'd trade some of that bass for a bit more sparkle and detail on the upper end of things, bringing the experience closer to the classic AKG sound that I remember from my K701 days.  I'm hoping that the K7XX, being based on the annies (but who knows what Massdrop did exactly to "configure" them), might be a bit closer to what I'm really after, since, as I understand it, the K702 = K701 and the K702/65th is the K702 with memory foam ear pads, which, as you said some think are where they get any sort of improved lower end response from.

I bought them already so I guess I'll be finding out firsthand myself soon, although my aging ears are nothing like a $30,000+ measurement setup :wink:

Jan 29, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #1,502 of 4,580
  Yeah, pretty much, although you obviously understand my confusion. I wish headphone.com would update their graphs!

I love the K712 but if I have any complaint at all it's that it has slightly too much bass.  I think I'd trade some of that bass for a bit more sparkle and detail on the upper end of things, bringing the experience closer to the classic AKG sound that I remember from my K701 days.  I'm hoping that the K7XX, being based on the annies (but who knows what Massdrop did exactly to "configure" them), might be a bit closer to what I'm really after, since, as I understand it, the K702 = K701 and the K702/65th is the K702 with memory foam ear pads, which, as you said some think are where they get any sort of improved lower end response from.

I bought them already so I guess I'll be finding out firsthand myself soon, although my aging ears are nothing like a $30,000+ measurement setup :wink:

headphone graphs from different sources cannot really be compared in detail against each other as they all use different measurement techniques that can account for the variations that you see. really only good for a broad overview of the general sound signature.

if you are looking for less bass, I think that going for the older AKGs such as the K701, K702, or Q701 will be more prudent. the k7xx does indeed have a bit of a bass boost over the traditional akg house sound (from my experience with the q701/k550/k545).

Jan 29, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #1,503 of 4,580

headphone graphs from different sources cannot really be compared in detail against each other as they all use different measurement techniques that can account for the variations that you see. really only good for a broad overview of the general sound signature.

if you are looking for less bass, I think that going for the older AKGs such as the K701, K702, or Q701 will be more prudent. the k7xx does indeed have a bit of a bass boost over the traditional akg house sound (from my experience with the q701/k550/k545).

Yeah, I realize that.  That's why I said I wish headphone.com was up to date. 
wink_face.gif
  I can look at the K702 on there and compare it to the K701, the K712, Q701 and even the K812 (or any of the 6's) but they are missing both the K7XX and the K702/65th:  http://www.headphone.com/pages/build-a-graph

"a bit of a bass boost" is fine.  I don't mind "a bit" more bass than the K701, for example, as long as it doesn't have as much as the K712...  which REALLY has bass.  The K7XX was cheaper than the K702 (and way cheaper than the Annie!) and I'm highly...  allergic... to the bumps in the Q and K701 headbands...  That's really the only reason I sold my K701 in the first place.

Jan 29, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #1,504 of 4,580

Yeah, pretty much, although you obviously understand my confusion. I wish headphone.com would update their graphs!

If the K7XX is like the Annies, it should have a little less bass than the K712 and sound a bit different, but not quite as drastic as say the Q701 to K712. It may be what you want if you find the bass a bit too much on the K712. I know with the Q701 compared to the K712 that they don't sound the same even with the same pads. The Q701 does has extra dampening the K712 doesn't though and it could be a little different in the driver. My problem with the K712 personally is the treble not the bass, the treble peak starts bothering me after 30 minutes or so. 

Jan 29, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #1,505 of 4,580
  Yeah, I realize that.  That's why I said I wish headphone.com was up to date. 
wink_face.gif
  I can look at the K702 on there and compare it to the K701, the K712, Q701 and even the K812 (or any of the 6's) but they are missing both the K7XX and the K702/65th:  http://www.headphone.com/pages/build-a-graph

"a bit of a bass boost" is fine.  I don't mind "a bit" more bass than the K701, for example, as long as it doesn't have as much as the K712...  which REALLY has bass.  The K7XX was cheaper than the K702 (and way cheaper than the Annie!) and I'm highly...  allergic... to the bumps in the Q and K701 headbands...  That's really the only reason I sold my K701 in the first place.

hahaha... yea i really hated the bumps on my q701. primary reason i sold them. i actually prefer the k7xx sound signature over the q701, but we all have different tastes after all.

Jan 30, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #1,506 of 4,580
I missed the first MD on the K7XX, and since the 2nd MD is restricted to the US, I'd given it a pass as well. Not that I can't get my mitts on a K702 Anni or K7XX which were being sold in the used section of a local tech forum. Since I'd read in various forums about peeps' opnions on the K701, Q701, K702 Anni and the K7XX, which varies widely, I'd decided to plunge right in and skipp all of them.......and to snag a K812 as the can of choice for the AKG line, damn K1000 cannot be found at a reasonable price!

Jan 30, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #1,507 of 4,580

Yeah, pretty much, although you obviously understand my confusion. I actually DID find some measurements on the K7XX on the <reference removed by admin.  Currently not allowed on head-fi.> forums... BUT they don't supply any comparison graphs. I wish headphone.com would update their graphs!

Your best option is the Q701. They are the best sounding 700s from AKG if you are after a flat response, which I think you are base on your description. The K7XX has too much mid and upper bass that make its bass sound a little bloated and muddier than the Q701. The dip between 3k-5k of the K7xx also makes vocals lack air and extension. The soundstage on the K7XX is noticeably narrower but that isn't really a problem since it matches the depth of the soundstage better. The bigger problem is the lack of air and openness that you expect from AKG. The only problem with the Q701 is the headband.

Jan 30, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #1,508 of 4,580

I've been contemplating getting a second pair as well so that I can mod one or both. Really want to try a balanced Y-cable mod that bypasses those hoops to the right driver. Figured I could swap parts between a pair so that one will have XLR inputs on both sides, and then just hardwire the other pair. Worth another $200... perhaps.

For fun, I just tried removing the outer caps and found they come off quite easily using an unbent paper clip. Just be careful to insert the wire straight into the holes and apply equal force counterclockwise - I slightly deformed one of the tiny plastic holes, but not enough that anyone except me would probably notice. I'm listening now without these covers.

Here's the cover removed, showing the foam disc behind the plastic grille:

Left cable side of the cans... you can clearly see where wires for the right channel are soldered to the hoop posts:

Right side of the cans... again, you can see where the wires to the right driver are soldered to the hoop posts:

Did you have a listen without the foam on the outer caps? I don't see that foam on the K712 or the K702 Annies parts sheet. That might be how they got the bass boost at the cost of a more open soundstage. I guess people who want a brighter sounding HP can try removing the foam on the outer cap. I'm not sure if it will help with lack of vocal extension and air caused by the dip at 3k-5k but will try and report back.

Jan 30, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #1,509 of 4,580
The other variants don't have that foam disk because it sounds better without it.

Jan 31, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #1,512 of 4,580
The K7XX beats the X2 for vocals no problem. The HD600 loses out also. The 650 is warmer and lusher in the miss giving vocals a yummy kind of sound. They are about equal in quality maybe a slight detail in the voices going to the K7XX. If I had to pick one for vocals then the HD650 would be my pick. The K7XX is better in all other areas though.

Jan 31, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #1,513 of 4,580
Can anyone compare these to the Sound magic HP100/150's? I DEEP sub bass which has presence, other comparisons which are welcome would be vs. The DT880 Premium and AD900X (Open) purely on bass respects... But the Soundmagic is the comparison I really want, will be driven with a Schiit Modi+Magni stack, thanks in advance guys!

Jan 31, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #1,514 of 4,580
DT880 and AD900X are both leaner sounding. 900X are more upper mid focused giving them a shouty sound. 800 more neutral than than 900x but lean and grainy. K7XX are smoother than both, more liquid and easier on the ears with a thicker body.

Soundstage is close, the K7XX stage is less obvious but it's equal to both. DT880 is the more airy of the three while the 900X is a hair behind. Bass goes to the K7XX which is the warmest. 900x then lastly 880.

DT880 is the brightest then the 900x then 7XX.

Jan 31, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #1,515 of 4,580
DT880 and AD900X are both leaner sounding. 900X are more upper mid focused giving them a shouty sound. 800 more neutral than than 900x but lean and grainy. K7XX are smoother than both, more liquid and easier on the ears with a thicker body.

Soundstage is close, the K7XX stage is less obvious but it's equal to both. DT880 is the more airy of the three while the 900X is a hair behind. Bass goes to the K7XX which is the warmest. 900x then lastly 880.

DT880 is the brightest then the 900x then 7XX.

Alright, thank you! Will wait for a Soundmagic comparison before making my choice, thank you so much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back