The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Jan 6, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #1,141 of 4,580
  Other than a couple brief sessions listening to music connected directly to my laptop and laptop to Denon AVR (via HDMI) headphone jack, I have tried the K7XX with the Astro Mixamp 2014 and Xbox One. The soundstage is definitely smaller and more compressed compared to my AD700. Not by a huge margin, but it's there. On the upside I am hearing detail and sounds that I never picked up with my AD700. The added bass is more immersive and provides more impact. I'm still getting used to the sound signature, especially considering I've used the AD700 alone for nearly five years. 

I will be adding a Schiit Magni 2 or Magni 2 Uber shortly. Other than increased volume what improvements can I expect? Will it improve the soundstage, make it fuller?

I'd say the soundstage of the AD700s are noticeably wider and more pleasant. I have been doing a lot of comparing today. The AKGs sound fuller with much better bass but the soundstage (like stated previously) is more spherical. I am finding myself enjoying the AD700s more even because of the soundstage. The AD700s soundstage is more natural and airy. I think the AKG sound is just not for me

If you are in the Chicago area, I might be selling my K7xx. Send me a message.

Jan 6, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #1,142 of 4,580

I'd say the soundstage of the AD700s are noticeably wider and more pleasant. I have been doing a lot of comparing today. The AKGs sound fuller with much better bass but the soundstage (like stated previously) is more spherical. I am finding myself enjoying the AD700s more even because of the soundstage. The AD700s soundstage is more natural and airy. I think the AKG sound is just not for me

If you are in the Chicago area, I might be selling my K7xx. Send me a message.

That's too bad. 

I knew going in that the KX77 would have a smaller soundstage. I've owned the AD700 for 5 years and wanted to try something different. I wanted a headphone that still had a large soundstage, but was more fun, more immersive for all around gaming.

I will be receiving the Schiit Magni 2 Uber by the end of the week. I'm hoping that it improves the sound quality over the Astro Mixamp alone, really shows what the K7XX is capable of. 

P.S. You might want to remove the foam rings inside the ear pads. Someone posted earlier that it increased the soundstage as well as made the sound brighter. 

Jan 6, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #1,143 of 4,580
  That said I'm still waiting... and I received my notice mid-december... not so happy with that.

Yeah, mine shipped on the 17th. Taking its sweet time. But if that saves me the customs fee....ugh, whatever.
I just wish I had a tracking number.

Jan 6, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #1,144 of 4,580
As someone who left the head-fi scene for quite a few years (went into speakers), I finally bought a pair of headphones to enjoy. I was participant #1830, but I remember posting as #1999 or #2000. Headphones arrived yesterday and I got #703.

From AKG, I've had the 501, 701 prior and I do vaguely remember the sound signature of the K701. 

Some of my notes when listening:
- K7xx is funner, more dynamic/engaging and less flat compared to the K701
- THERE IS BASS!!!! (compared to the K701)
- Soundstage feels quite a bit smaller than the K701
- Treble seems to be less bright, more muted.
- Bass/bottom spectrum seems to be a bit muddied.

- Comfortable :) No more bumps, my head isn't huge so it also isn't very clampy on my head.

For the price, I'd say they are pretty good (too bad the conversion rate isn't the best CAD vs USD and I also got hit by $40 customs). Coming back into head-fi, they are very enjoyable.

I am just wondering about what everyone was talking about regarding the "rattle". Does it sound like "wuh wuh wuh wuh wuh wuh" when you are playing frequency sweeps of around 10-30hz? I get that with the sweeps, but not any when I am listening to music. Is it a big deal? No really as long as I don't hear it from my music and such... so I'll have to run them through quite a bit to make sure it doesn't happen.

Jan 6, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #1,145 of 4,580
  That's too bad. 

I knew going in that the KX77 would have a smaller soundstage. I've owned the AD700 for 5 years and wanted to try something different. I wanted a headphone that still had a large soundstage, but was more fun, more immersive for all around gaming.

I will be receiving the Schiit Magni 2 Uber by the end of the week. I'm hoping that it improves the sound quality over the Astro Mixamp alone, really shows what the K7XX is capable of. 

P.S. You might want to remove the foam rings inside the ear pads. Someone posted earlier that it increased the soundstage as well as made the sound brighter. 

Is there instructions to do this? I might give it a try if the mod is easily reversible. I do think the K7XX will be more fun for gaming than the AD700, but probably not as accurate if you are into FPS games

Jan 6, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #1,146 of 4,580
Rotate pad counterclockwise until it comes off.  Remove foam ring, place pad in correct spot and rotate clockwise until it clicks.

Jan 6, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #1,147 of 4,580
  Rotate pad counterclockwise until it comes off.  Remove foam ring, place pad in correct spot and rotate clockwise until it clicks.

Thanks. I am going to give that a try tonight

Jan 6, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #1,148 of 4,580

Some of my notes when listening:
- Soundstage feels quite a bit smaller than the K701

Ouch? I thought the soundstaging of the K701 was one of it's strongest feature, too bad that these cans couldn't incorporate that strength as well.

Jan 6, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #1,149 of 4,580
  Ouch? I thought the soundstaging of the K701 was one of it's strongest feature, too bad that these cans couldn't incorporate that strength as well.

lol the sound stage is excellent, better than most other $200 offerings. OP is just going by audio memory, not direct comparison. A brighter headphones will usually sound like it has better sound stage than a version that is more bass-boosted. The K7xx are really just the k702 65th Anniversaries in black, so sound stage is akin to that.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/655082/akg-q701-vs-akg-k702-65th-anniversary-comparison-review
I would agree with this reviewer's intro statements of the k7kxx of a more intimate sound stage vs the q701 more distant sound stage. (though going by memory of the q701)

Jan 6, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #1,150 of 4,580
  lol the sound stage is excellent, better than most other $200 offerings. OP is just going by audio memory, not direct comparison. A brighter headphones will usually sound like it has better sound stage than a version that is more bass-boosted. The K7xx are really just the k702 65th Anniversaries in black, so sound stage is akin to that.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/655082/akg-q701-vs-akg-k702-65th-anniversary-comparison-review
I would agree with this reviewer's intro statements of the k7kxx of a more intimate sound stage vs the q701 more distant sound stage. (though going by memory of the q701)

Still, sad to hear if there is a step back in the sound stage as the K701s were very good in this regard. A bit light in the bass and the mids were a little plasticy sounding. I preferred the Q701s.

Jan 6, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #1,151 of 4,580

Still, sad to hear if there is a step back in the sound stage as the K701s were very good in this regard. A bit light in the bass and the mids were a little plasticy sounding. I preferred the Q701s.

mmm. I personally greatly prefer the K7xx after owning both & haven't tried another pair of headphones at the $200 price point that outperform these sonically, but of course, you are entitled to your opinion

don't knock it until you try it, I think. you may be pleasantly surprised :)

Jan 6, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #1,152 of 4,580

It may take a hit in soundstage width but the hole in the center of the soundstage is gone and the soundstage has more depth so not really a bad trade-off. 

Jan 6, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #1,154 of 4,580

mmm. I personally greatly prefer the K7xx after owning both & haven't tried another pair of headphones at the $200 price point that outperform these sonically, but of course, you are entitled to your opinion

don't knock it until you try it, I think. you may be pleasantly surprised :)

It may take a hit in soundstage width but the hole in the center of the soundstage is gone and the soundstage has more depth so not really a bad trade-off. 

Being a successor, I was hoping that the excellent sound staging would also be incorporated. Ah well...maybe I want too much?

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #1,155 of 4,580

Being a successor, I was hoping that the excellent sound staging would also be incorporated. Ah well...maybe I want too much?

Maybe, I'm personally waiting to see if a replacement for the K7 family is coming out anytime soon. Maybe then we can get something truly better for a similar price. Honestly right now all the varieties seem more like which sound signature you prefer more. Sorta like the HD 600 vs HD 650 and the DT 880 vs DT 990. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back