The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Jan 4, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #1,111 of 4,580
  very true, do not get confused with low freq. driver vibrating movement with rattle
smily_headphones1.gif

You guys are really taking this out of context. Bass distortion and the rattle you hear in the Akgs are two entirely different things. This will be the last time I say this, so people can avoid returning K7XXs that are not faulty.

If the bass on your K7XX, or any other AKG K seriesfor that matter, does not have a helicopter rotor like sound, then it is NOT defective. Please stop confusing loud volume distortion with the faulty bass rattle.

If I remember correctly, the bass-rattle that I experienced on my K712's was present even at low volume levels.  Also, wouldn't out of control bass distortion still be a solidly negative attribute?  It's not like someone is going to say, "Oh, that horrible rattling sound isn't actually a defect, the headphones naturally distort like that.... Everything is cool now."

Not sure I understand the angst being communicated here.

Jan 4, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #1,113 of 4,580

I found that at least with my HD650 the midrange on a forward amp like the Schiit Lyr can sound too aggressive and too forward, while the K7xx is very sensitive to systems, doesn't react as badly to an amp with an overly forward midrange.

I don't have any problems with my HD 600 sounding too forward or aggressive on my system, if anything I find it too soft and laid-back at times. The K712 is the only headphone I had aggression issues with, but finally remedied the treble fatigue with a cheap power conditioner and the schiit wyrd. 

Jan 5, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #1,114 of 4,580
Understanding how coloration happens with your amps would help match the right headphones with the right amp. It means taking your fav cans (in this case the K7XX) to your local audio shop and demo through a few amps and find one that sounds best with it. What works for brand X headphones might just sound horrible on Brand Y headphones. And genre of music plays a big part too. Then you throw in the quality of recording/mastering and the quality of the track itself.

Dang, having said that, I think I should go back to vinyls and a new analog set up. ^_^

ps. From my little collection of DACs/amps, I found like the AKG K7XX + audiolab's M-DAC sound pretty darn good. The mid boost from the M-DAC sort of made up for what is lacking in the K7XX. So amongst the three DACs I have with me right now (M-DAC, FiiO E17+E09k and TEAC HA-P50), the M-DAC is the best companion to the K7XX. Though the sibilance can get a little more pronounced in some tracks, especially with Asian music.

Jan 5, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #1,115 of 4,580

So are there any left to purchase from the 2nd batch?

If not, then that means they have sold 4000 so far.

First drop covered the first batch and about half of the second batch. The logical assumption is that they will have a second drop for the rest of the second batch, which might also end up rolling into the third batch depending on how many are sold.

But until it actually happens, it's all speculation. All we know is that there are going to be three batches of 2000 and about half have been sold so far.

Jan 5, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #1,116 of 4,580
Got mine today! Serial 1451. I think they attempted delivery a couple of times already though when I was on holiday and the office was closed, starting from before new years. No customs charge via USPS and Canada Post which was nice.

First impressions are that I'm enjoying the spacious airy sound as expected, and also that the bass isn't at the levels I enjoy for most of the electronic music I listen to (also expected). However they excel with music with instruments and lots of midrange and treble detail and the bass still goes low and is present enough especially when they are turned up volume-wise or when the surrounding room is quiet.

Comparing to my Ultrasone Signature DJs (sure, an unfair comparison in terms of price and closed vs open), they are super light and comfier. Much flatter sound signature of course. Less exciting. Not as much treble sparkle or detail up top, and the Sigs are just a perfect seamless enjoyable smooth headphone that are blissful to listen to. Still, the K7XXs are going to be enjoyable for sure, and I mainly got them for gaming at home on the PS4 and a bit of music listening. Definitely a bargain. If I ever get back into music production again a little, I'm sure these will be excellent for tracking, mixing and basic headphone mastering.

These are my first AKG headphones and first decent open dynamic headphones (last ones I had were crappy but comfy Steelseries Siberia's). One thing I'm surprised at is that they are actually usable for office use at moderate volumes - they don't leak too much. I guess the last true open headphone I owned were HE400s which leaked SO much (basically just speakers on your head), and even the semi-open TH600s leaked a lot.

The downside is that a really good headphone like the Sig DJs or TH600s sound amazing even at really low volume. To me the K7XX are a little muddy until cranked up a bit (probably the lower level of detail retrieval). But its probably also the fact that they're open and depends on room noise levels.

Only other comment is the build quality is obviously pretty cheap and flimsy. When I move my jaw or head around it creates some creaking/rubbing noises with the plastic/pads moving against eachother, which is a little distracting..

Quick phone snap:

Jan 5, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #1,117 of 4,580
Is anyone else finding the soundstage to sound unnatural (too "left to right" )?

Jan 5, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #1,118 of 4,580
AKGs are known to be quite oval shaped in soundstage. No surprises there

Jan 5, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #1,120 of 4,580
Jan 5, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #1,121 of 4,580
These definitely require an amp to work the best. I am using a fairly cheap amp Topping NX1 and it works marvelously with the K7XX. Perfect match. They do require some good amplification even though they have fairly low impedance rating.

The sound is flawless almost for the price they were sold for. Only $200 and you get crisp mids, almost the same level of Shure SRH1440, and an excellent sound stage that really awes at first listen. The bass is well pronounced, punchy for sure but not extremely strong, though it does not sound muddy at all nor bleeds in the mids. Treble is very strong. Instrument separation is excellent.

They became my office listening headphones. Extremely comfortable, lightweight and great to use all day.

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #1,122 of 4,580
Biggest issue I have with my 7xx is the peakyness at like 2khz. It is tiring.

Sound is the same from my modded ST vs. OnePlus One vs. PC out at my workstation in the office. Then again, I don't listen loud, prolly 80-90db. Enough good power to listen in flight though (tested oneplusone, used in flight - could hear plane, but could also hear full sound from music).

Jan 5, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #1,123 of 4,580
Other than a couple brief sessions listening to music connected directly to my laptop and laptop to Denon AVR (via HDMI) headphone jack, I have tried the K7XX with the Astro Mixamp 2014 and Xbox One. The soundstage is definitely smaller and more compressed compared to my AD700. Not by a huge margin, but it's there. On the upside I am hearing detail and sounds that I never picked up with my AD700. The added bass is more immersive and provides more impact. I'm still getting used to the sound signature, especially considering I've used the AD700 alone for nearly five years. 

I will be adding a Schiit Magni 2 or Magni 2 Uber shortly. Other than increased volume what improvements can I expect? Will it improve the soundstage, make it fuller?

Jan 5, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #1,124 of 4,580
You're comparing anything to the AD700 for soundstage is your mistake. Nothing will match the AD700. Maybe an old gen K701, and the HD800. That's it.

Jan 6, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #1,125 of 4,580
  These definitely require an amp to work the best. I am using a fairly cheap amp Topping NX1 and it works marvelously with the K7XX. Perfect match. They do require some good amplification even though they have fairly low impedance rating.

The sound is flawless almost for the price they were sold for. Only $200 and you get crisp mids, almost the same level of Shure SRH1440, and an excellent sound stage that really awes at first listen. The bass is well pronounced, punchy for sure but not extremely strong, though it does not sound muddy at all nor bleeds in the mids. Treble is very strong. Instrument separation is excellent.

They became my office listening headphones. Extremely comfortable, lightweight and great to use all day.

This. Just got the NX1 from Massdrop, but I can't go home for a few more days (college finals). I'm relieved that the NX1 is a good match. Let's hope not too good; I have the Fiio E12 coming to me as well 
biggrin.gif
 lmao JK.

On a different note, I'm not so happy with the E18's amp with a Cowon J3. It's ok, but feels underpowered. As if I have to listen loudly for there to feel like a full sound... but I like my ears
ph34r.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back