The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Jan 4, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #1,096 of 4,580
I am totally happy with the K7XX now. The irritating high frequencies have been smoothened and in its place, a nice and more refined mid range came through, which made me really happy. This must be the bang-for-the-buck cans of the year. Faith in AKG restored.

Jan 4, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #1,097 of 4,580

I also received my K7XX two days ago as well, and like you had an issue with my right ear cup. When I first used them, instead of rattling it felt like something was ``missing`` from the right. As a result the center stage felt shifted to the left. I initially thought it was the left cup distortion, but after some time I realized it`s really not... Something`s wrong with that right cup.

At first I thought it was wireless interference from my wifi adapter (next to soundcard), but after an hour of fiddling with turning off/on the adapter and playing music it suddenly fixed itself. I thought it was a wireless interference problem and somehow I solved it. Heavenly music follows.

Today I use the K7XX again, again something's missing on the right. I let it burn-in and shoveled snow for an hour, come back and it feels like the right cup opened itself up (sounding like yesterday after solving it). I leave it, have dinner, come back and same problem comes up. Play just even a minute of high current volume and it fixes itself again.

I have no idea what's going on with it 0.o

You should try a different source/amp, to isolate whether the problem is in the amp vs. the headphones. Even if other headphones sound OK with the same amp, those phones might not require as much current as the KXX, so they might not push the amp to the point that it exhibits a problem.

Jan 4, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #1,098 of 4,580
You guys are really taking this out of context. Bass distortion and the rattle you hear in the Akgs are two entirely different things. This will be the last time I say this, so people can avoid returning K7XXs that are not faulty.

If the bass on your K7XX, or any other AKG K seriesfor that matter, does not have a helicopter rotor like sound, then it is NOT defective. Please stop confusing loud volume distortion with the faulty bass rattle.

Jan 4, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #1,099 of 4,580
Please stop confusing loud volume distortion with the faulty bass rattle.

very true, do not get confused with low freq. driver vibrating movement with rattle
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 4, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #1,100 of 4,580
I'm pretty late to this party so this might be a dumb question but have all 6000 K7XX's been sold already?

If not, when will the last batch of 2000 become available for purchase?

Thanks.

Jan 4, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #1,101 of 4,580
  I'm pretty late to this party so this might be a dumb question but have all 6000 K7XX's been sold already?

If not, when will the last batch of 2000 become available for purchase?

Thanks.

They've sold about 3k of them.

We don't know when the next drop will be. Probably soon though, since batch 2 is supposed to arrive in February I think.

Jan 4, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #1,102 of 4,580
Considering the talk about driver rattle, the next drop maybe delayed before this issue is fully addressed. So don't hold your collective breaths.

Jan 4, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #1,103 of 4,580
I still don't see a widespread problem here if I subtract all reports that sound like driver overload to me... so I don't think there will be any delay due to this at least. The next batch promised for February delivery is not sold out by pre-registrations yet, so demand slowing down may cause a delay I guess.

Jan 4, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #1,105 of 4,580

They've sold about 3k of them.

We don't know when the next drop will be. Probably soon though, since batch 2 is supposed to arrive in February I think.

So are there any left to purchase from the 2nd batch?

If not, then that means they have sold 4000 so far.

Jan 4, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #1,107 of 4,580
What I want to know is whether this is the best value purchase I can make. I have no prior experience with external DACs, so it's really hard for me to make an informed decision, hence I'm here.
When I discovered the NFB-15, I've been very impressed, especially with it's internals as compared to the aforementioned M/M, or the Objective combo (because this http://goo.gl/cSvRrZ just cannot be better than this http://goo.gl/m5n3ee, right?). This continued with reading their site, once I got over the layout, or the lack thereof. Then I've contacted their support to see what they have to say and they recommended I'd get the NFB-11 if I want quicker sound, with better extension on the highs (paraphrasing).
If I were to decide solely based upon looks, like TMRaven /img/forum/go_quote.gif has suggested in his comparison thread (http://goo.gl/83KwyV), I'd get the M2/M2 without ever looking back, I mean just look at this http://goo.gl/UiKjhk. But like I've already said, I suspect all of those options don't entirely stack up to each other, which makes it tougher to pick.

To give you some perspective though - currently I have no other option than to listen to the K7XX through the laptop headphone out, and while this it sounds better than my K272, with a wider soundstage, punchier bass and livelier sound overall, I can't say I'm entirely satisfied. I'm not really accustomed to the audiophile jargon yet, but the K7XX sound a tad muffled to me, like it lacks clarity, and this is what I am hoping to remedy with the acquisition of a DAC. Needless to say that the laptop is barely getting it to my preferred listening volume, which is what the amp is for.

In essence, am I missing something here, or can I safely pull the trigger and get the NFB-11?

I have the nfb15 paired with my he500s and k7xx. Sounds ******* awesome. Id actually recommend saving a few bucks and getting the nfb15. If you wanted higher end gear could always go with a compass 2, 10.33 or step up to a master 9....

Jan 4, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #1,108 of 4,580
I use my K7xx on the Schiit Audio Lyr 2 with the stock 6BZ7 tubes and I find it to be a more than excellent match. I can crank up the gain knob on high gain level and the K7xx never becomes overly forward or harsh or sibilant. The bass extension and performance is also excellent. The K7xx's relatively restrained mid range pairs well with an energetic or forward sounding amp. 

Jan 4, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #1,109 of 4,580
I have to agree, the K7(and K6 series) series are the most sensitive headphones to the system and source I have owned. The HD 600 while revealing of the system and scales like a champ doesn't change quite as dramatically from system to system and source to source as the K7 series.

I found that at least with my HD650 the midrange on a forward amp like the Schiit Lyr can sound too aggressive and too forward, while the K7xx is very sensitive to systems, doesn't react as badly to an amp with an overly forward midrange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back