The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Jan 2, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #1,066 of 4,580
I do not agree with all of your impressions (but that is okay). These are exciting for their soundstage and their ability to analyze sounds in detail (instrument separation), while offering an overall balanced signature than that of the other AKGs in the K7 lineup (though I still love my Q701s for their airier signature and their even more expansive soundstage). When complementing other headphones, such as my HD-650s or HE-500s, these are special to me indeed. I have nott listened to my other headphones at all since they arrived. IMO of course
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't think anyone can totally agree with anyone when it comes to sound. It is like trying to decide the balance between how much soy sauce and wasabi is the best for sushi. It is up to everyone's personal preference.

Good to know you are excited and loving the K7XX. For me the reason the K7XX is staying is for its comfort and forgiving nature when it comes to general music playback. And the legendary ruggedness of the AKG headphones. (I hope it carries on with the K7XX).

Let's enjoy the music.

Jan 2, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #1,067 of 4,580
Well put, and I agree with you. I suppose the AKG signature just clicks with me and the type of music I like. But I would start to feel claustrophobic if these were my only headphones. That statement is especially true for my Sennheisers.

Jan 2, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #1,068 of 4,580
Well put, and I agree with you. I suppose the AKG signature just clicks with me and the type of music I like. But I would start to feel claustrophobic if these were my only headphones. That statement is especially true for my Sennheisers.

That is why we end up with a small collection of expensive headphones / amps / DAC which we have a hard time explaining to people who don't get it when they say "All I need is my iPhone and my Beats". Having better ears is quite a curse, in a way. ^_^

Jan 2, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #1,069 of 4,580
Just got mine delivered, tried it on my ThinkPad W520's headphone out and played some phantom of opera from back when Sarah Brightman had something to do with the thing.

Big mistake, it sounded so gross that I'm getting goose bumps...  Guess I'll leave it to run in while I dig up something that can properly drive it.  And never use my notebook's headphone out again... :p

Jan 2, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #1,070 of 4,580
Could you elaborate on what tracks did you use for burn in?

And what do you guys think of Audio-gd NFB-15? NFB-11?

I use these with an NFB-15. What exactly did you want to know? I can't say how it pairs compared to other setups outside of my X3, but it sounds great.
The NFB-15 has been one of my best purchases. I gave up a M/M stack mostly for functionality and all-in-one layout. It let's me use my headphones and control my active monitors on a small desk. I can run it through USB, optical and even hook up my X3 to it if I want to take it to a meet and don't feel like bring a computer. Driver installation was painless.

I suppose you could say I recommend it for the K7XX as well as many other cans. It's hard to beat at the price point; Although, the new Uber M2/M2 stack has me curious with them finally adding more functionally, but with CA tax the NFB-15 is cheaper.

Jan 2, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #1,073 of 4,580
Can these K7xxs beat HD600s?

It could for many people, but you have written a closed-ended and loaded question. It complements my HD-650; it doesn't "beat" it. The same could be said regarding the HD-600. I will have to spend more time to solidfy my sense of how exactly each complements the other, but so far I have not put the HD-650s on my head since these have arrived (you should not read that as me concluding I like the AKGs better since I think they are both amazing).

Jan 2, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #1,074 of 4,580
I am watching The Fury while using these headphones. Dont ask how I got it since you guys already know how I got the movie...

But I am very impressed by the K7XX while being used for movies. I love them! I still miss my X1, you know, dat bass lol.

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #1,075 of 4,580
Jan 3, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #1,077 of 4,580
So I finished watching The Fury while using the K7XX and honestly, I am very much impressed. Could use more bass for those explosions but cant complain much since the bass was present when it was needed.

I was using VLC and the .mkv came with DD 5.1, using my SB Z with 67% surround.

The experience was very immersive while yet retaining that imaging and soundstage. Pinpointing the ricochet's were easily noticable.
I guess I will be keeping the K7XX for quite a long time.

Plus, still no rattling sound like others have said, especially when all those explosions were going on, even when some really deep low end would hit sometimes.

Quite happy for the 220 dollars I paid for the K7XX
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Correction, Very happy for the 220 dollars I paid for the K7XX
L3000.gif

Jan 3, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #1,078 of 4,580

Most reviewers don't believe in any benefit to burning them in.  I am NOT one of those.  I suspect burn in is likely good for any electrical component, open backed headphones (and similarly, dipole loud speakers, for the same reasons) even more so.  A few years ago I bought a lightly used pair of AKG K701 as my first taste of open backed cans.  The guy I bought them from said he probably had around 100 hours on them.  I listened to them for a day or two and some of my favorite songs sounded too detailed and possibly too bright.  I literally plugged them into a source+amp, put them around the listening level I would normally enjoy and stuffed them in a mostly empty dresser drawer for a solid week (168 hours).  A very noticeable improvement on my test tracks.  Songs that had too much sibilance on my first listen were now decidedly much tamer and easier to listen to.  The rest of the frequencies seemed to blend better together as well, a smoother transition perhaps.  A year later, when I sold them (the bumps hurt my head), after hundreds of more hours, the K701 were the best sounding headphones I had heard to date.

I'm an old muscle car guy.  When you build an engine and fire it up for the first time how you run it is critical.  After it's first oil change or three, when you are truly ready to "break it in" one school of thought says "drive it nice".  I'm not from that school.  The way I break in engines is to drive it the way you will in day to day use.  If it's going to spend it's life on the drag strip then you break it in on the drag strip.

For me headphones are like that, especially open backed cans, possibly even more so when it comes to the AKG seven series.  Some will say pink noise is what you should use.  You can actually buy CDs of tracks "designed" for headphone burn in.  My opinion?  Put on what you listen to, put it on shuffle and repeat, set the volume where you would normally listen.  Burn them in.  Just my US$0.02 worth.

Thanks, that actually makes sense. The only reason I would prefer starting with the standard pink/brown noise is because the K7XX does sound a bid harsh in the treble.
After that, like kleefurd /img/forum/go_quote.gif suggested, I'll blast some Apex twins through them :D.

Quote:
  No reason to go anywhere when you can download/burn for free: http://www.jlabaudio.com/pages/audio-burn-in

(just one example)

Burn-in files are just frequency sweeps, pink and white noise, and silence usually.

Thanks, I'll try that today.

Quote:
I use these with an NFB-15. What exactly did you want to know? I can't say how it pairs compared to other setups outside of my X3, but it sounds great.
The NFB-15 has been one of my best purchases. I gave up a M/M stack mostly for functionality and all-in-one layout. It let's me use my headphones and control my active monitors on a small desk. I can run it through USB, optical and even hook up my X3 to it if I want to take it to a meet and don't feel like bring a computer. Driver installation was painless.

I suppose you could say I recommend it for the K7XX as well as many other cans. It's hard to beat at the price point; Although, the new Uber M2/M2 stack has me curious with them finally adding more functionally, but with CA tax the NFB-15 is cheaper.

What I want to know is whether this is the best value purchase I can make. I have no prior experience with external DACs, so it's really hard for me to make an informed decision, hence I'm here.
When I discovered the NFB-15, I've been very impressed, especially with it's internals as compared to the aforementioned M/M, or the Objective combo (because this http://goo.gl/cSvRrZ just cannot be better than this http://goo.gl/m5n3ee, right?). This continued with reading their site, once I got over the layout, or the lack thereof. Then I've contacted their support to see what they have to say and they recommended I'd get the NFB-11 if I want quicker sound, with better extension on the highs (paraphrasing).
If I were to decide solely based upon looks, like TMRaven /img/forum/go_quote.gif has suggested in his comparison thread (http://goo.gl/83KwyV), I'd get the M2/M2 without ever looking back, I mean just look at this http://goo.gl/UiKjhk. But like I've already said, I suspect all of those options don't entirely stack up to each other, which makes it tougher to pick.

To give you some perspective though - currently I have no other option than to listen to the K7XX through the laptop headphone out, and while this it sounds better than my K272, with a wider soundstage, punchier bass and livelier sound overall, I can't say I'm entirely satisfied. I'm not really accustomed to the audiophile jargon yet, but the K7XX sound a tad muffled to me, like it lacks clarity, and this is what I am hoping to remedy with the acquisition of a DAC. Needless to say that the laptop is barely getting it to my preferred listening volume, which is what the amp is for.
In essence, am I missing something here, or can I safely pull the trigger and get the NFB-11?

Jan 3, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #1,079 of 4,580

To give you some perspective though - currently I have no other option than to listen to the K7XX through the laptop headphone out, and while this it sounds better than my K272, with a wider soundstage, punchier bass and livelier sound overall, I can't say I'm entirely satisfied. I'm not really accustomed to the audiophile jargon yet, but the K7XX sound a tad muffled to me, like it lacks clarity, and this is what I am hoping to remedy with the acquisition of a DAC. Needless to say that the laptop is barely getting it to my preferred listening volume, which is what the amp is for.
In essence, am I missing something here, or can I safely pull the trigger and get the NFB-11?

Yes, you will be very happy with the purchase. The sound will dramatically improve.

Jan 3, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #1,080 of 4,580
I always smile when I read all the comments in new gear thread. Someone new to the addiction will start with his first good headphones, and all the suggestions and "poisoning" and soon, he has a few pairs of canc (headphones/earphones), three amps, four DACs and a box of cables that he is likely never going to spend more than ten hours with.

Welcome to the Toxic Audio Club, people. In less than a year ago, I started with a nice pair Westone W40 to replace my UM3Xs. Now... and I am quite poisoned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back