The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Jan 6, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #1,156 of 4,580
  I am doing a head-to-head with the K712 and the K7XX and will get back..

That would be much appreciated. I just bought a pair of K712 from amazon and am absolutely blown away, but if the K7XX is indeed the same replica, it's a no brainer to get it from massdrop.

I've been trying to find on this thread whether the K7XX is more similar to the 65th Annies vs the K712's but still haven't found anything conclusive. Can anyone please shed some light onto this?

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #1,157 of 4,580

Being a successor, I was hoping that the excellent sound staging would also be incorporated. Ah well...maybe I want too much?

The sound stage & imaging of the K7xx is excellent. It is just a tad bit different than the Q701. Never heard the K701.

The Q701 has a really wide L-R. The K7xx less so, but more depth as someone else stated. Still has great instrument separation. More coherent sound stage IMO. No gaps or jumps in the sound stage that makes the presentation seem artificially wide. No hole in the center. Better tone & voicing than the Q701. I personally think the sound quality including sound stage/imaging is much improved on the K7xx.

The extra bass is the perfect amount for me and I really appreciate the new sound signature much more than AKG's older line that seemed to have an anemic bass. The bass is not over-emphasized that it detracts from the rest of the frequency response. Just perhaps a tiny bit warmer than true neutral, but orientated very close to neutral.

I greatly enjoy these headphones & I definitely recommend people to at least try them.

That would be much appreciated. I just bought a pair of K712 from amazon and am absolutely blown away, but if the K7XX is indeed the same replica, it's a no brainer to get it from massdrop.

I've been trying to find on this thread whether the K7XX is more similar to the 65th Annies vs the K712's but still haven't found anything conclusive. Can anyone please shed some light onto this?

It's in the introduction page. Will, the person who organized the drop, also confirmed it is identical on the 65th Annies rather than the K12. However, the K712 is based on the 65th Annies. While I don't know the exact differences in the two models besides color, they do appear to be quite similar. AKG does have a habit of re-releasing basically the same pair of headphones.

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #1,158 of 4,580
Well removing the foam rings was very very easy and took about 1 minute to do. Initial impressions is definitely a noticeable brighter sound and slightly different soundstage. I am not sure I would say it is wider, but it is definitely more open and airy. The bass is decreased very slight. It removes some of the muddiness from the low-end for sure. I will have to report back after some more listening but the mod definitely opens the cans.

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #1,159 of 4,580
Still, sad to hear if there is a step back in the sound stage as the K701s were very good in this regard. A bit light in the bass and the mids were a little plasticy sounding. I preferred the Q701s.

That was an exaggeration, so no need to feel doubtful. These have a slightly smaller soundstage, not a greatly smaller one as the post to which you replied implied. Also, as others have said, the soundstage is arguably more cohesive than prior iterations.

Jan 7, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #1,160 of 4,580
the K7xx soundstage is a few rows forward compared to the K701, sounding a little more intimate. 

Jan 7, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #1,162 of 4,580
hey guys, i don't know if this is the best place to ask, but how the hell is massdrop even going to get back the 70 k7xx's that they double shipped? they said they are doing it, but is it even possible? as far as i know, the same shipping label is on both packages, making it hard to distinguish from who got two and who didn't. 

Jan 7, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #1,164 of 4,580
hey guys, i don't know if this is the best place to ask, but how the hell is massdrop even going to get back the 70 k7xx's that they double shipped? they said they are doing it, but is it even possible? as far as i know, the same shipping label is on both packages, making it hard to distinguish from who got two and who didn't. 

More than likely, they are not, unless those peeps that get 2 k7xx have goo hearts and return them...or not.

Or they can charge them double but then again, there really is no way to prove that.

Well to those that get 2 K7xx, lucky...

Jan 7, 2015 at 2:54 AM Post #1,165 of 4,580
Ouch? I thought the soundstaging of the K701 was one of it's strongest feature, too bad that these cans couldn't incorporate that strength as well.

Any time bass and fullness is added, soundstage is gonna suffer. That's just a byproduct of going from lean and airy, to warmer and more bassy.

As for those who seriously want more immersion and fullness with AD700 type soundstage, just quit looking now because you aren't really going to find much of anything. The AD700s soundstage is massive partly BECAUSE it's so thin and dry sounding.

Again, YOU WILL NOT FIND ANY ALTERNATIVE other than the MA900 . Anything with more bass and richness = less soundstage.

You may wanna look into the MA900, which is unnaturally warm as well as very large in soundstage. This is one very odd exception to the rule.

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #1,166 of 4,580
Any time bass and fullness is added, soundstage is gonna suffer. That's just a byproduct of going from lean and airy, to warmer and more bassy.

As for those who seriously want more immersion and fullness with AD700 type soundstage, just quit looking now because you aren't really going to find much of anything. The AD700s soundstage is massive partly BECAUSE it's so thin and dry sounding.

Again, YOU WILL NOT FIND ANY ALTERNATIVE other than the MA900 . Anything with more bass and richness = less soundstage.

You may wanna look into the MA900, which is unnaturally warm as well as very large in soundstage. This is one very odd exception to the rule.

The MA900 is oddly warm for its huge soundstage size though so is the K712, just tried the MA900 on my system for the first time in a while. Was the best I ever heard the MA900 but the occasional sibilants and brashness of the vocals bothered me for extended listening which is why I let the Sony go a while back, my K712 compared to the MA900 is thicker, warmer, darker, and smoother while having a soundstage close in size.

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #1,167 of 4,580
The guy who is disappointed by the K7XX soundstage isn't gonna find something magically different in the 712, hence why I suggested the MA900.

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #1,168 of 4,580
The guy who is disappointed by the K7XX soundstage isn't gonna find something magically different in the 712, hence why I suggested the MA900.

I dont believe he actually heard the k7xx or the K712. he just stated that he was disappointed that someone opined that the sound stage of the k7xx was smaller than the k701.

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #1,169 of 4,580
We honestly need a more collective opinion on soundstage. I'm trying to find the best soundstage\imaging headphones akin to listening to classical music in a concert hall and i have been on a wild goose chase after ma900s, ad700s, all the headphones in the kXXX and qXXX range...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back