The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Aug 14, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #4,456 of 4,580
The output in mW / watts is not the only reason why using your amp sounds better than your phone. Things like the output impedance, design of the electronic circuits and volume level that you listen at all play a role in how a headphone will sound. Since you seem to listen at very high levels the 5w amp should sound better since your phone is at the limits of its output. As an example it might take 1mW to get a headphone to 60dB but if you are listening at 70dB then you will need about 10mW. A 10dB change in listening level requires about 10x more power from an amp so going to a listening level of 80dB will require your amp to put out approximately 100mW and if you listen at 90dB (getting in to dangerous levels here) the amp will need to put out 1000mW (1W). While I know that many love to listen at higher levels just use some common sense and not damage your hearing.
Dont worry, im only at halfway on the POT (; i have a fairly low listening level. And it makes sense since the volume control is a logarithmic function in terms out output control. Also its fair to say that those things factor in, but wattage is more responsible for sound quality by far in an amp than its circuitry and dac will effect those things.

Aug 15, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #4,457 of 4,580
Dont worry, im only at halfway on the POT (; i have a fairly low listening level. And it makes sense since the volume control is a logarithmic function in terms out output control. Also its fair to say that those things factor in, but wattage is more responsible for sound quality by far in an amp than its circuitry and dac will effect those things.
I will have to disagree with you on wattage being more important than the circuitry but agree that the DAC does affect the sound. In relation to the K7XX, the output impedance of the amp has a noticeable effect on sound signature to me which is easy for me to do with the adjustable output impedance of my Project Ember. Like you I also have a Lyr2 and find that while it will drive the K7XX without issues the higher output impedance of my BH Crack gives the K7XX a fuller over all sound with a nice non-fatiguing tone. I try to level match as best I can using a SPL app for my phone which has been calibrated with a friends work place meter. I feel that level matching is important when doing any type of comparisons because most will say that even a 0.5dB difference will influence our perception and usually give the louder sound the choice as better quality.

But since we all hear differently and we are using different sources and equipment all that matters is what makes you happy, cheers.

Sep 1, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #4,458 of 4,580
I am a bit picky in the comfort side. Can you say some others headphone you find comfortable? =)

As someone with a small head, I find these uncomfortable since they don't stay still. THe ear cups are huge too, which feels weird. They exert very little pressure though and are quite light. I Prefer my HD700s though; it's a wash with the HD 600, which are heavier/more pressure but feel more stable.

Sep 1, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #4,459 of 4,580
As someone with a small head, I find these uncomfortable since they don't stay still. THe ear cups are huge too, which feels weird. They exert very little pressure though and are quite light. I Prefer my HD700s though; it's a wash with the HD 600, which are heavier/more pressure but feel more stable.
Agree that the HD700 is one of the most comfortable headphones and for those with smaller sized heads the K7XX can be a strange fit due to the suspension system moving when you move your head since the clamping force is so light.

Sep 4, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #4,462 of 4,580
Has anyone solved the creaking issue with the cups?

My K7XX just started after a couple of months on the right side.

My old K702 didn't show this 'cup creaking' for three years before I sold them, but instead made some other noises at the suspension at the top, which could be fixed with silicone lube.

Sep 4, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #4,463 of 4,580
The output in mW / watts is not the only reason why using your amp sounds better than your phone. Things like the output impedance, design of the electronic circuits and volume level that you listen at all play a role in how a headphone will sound. Since you seem to listen at very high levels the 5w amp should sound better since your phone is at the limits of its output. As an example it might take 1mW to get a headphone to 60dB but if you are listening at 70dB then you will need about 10mW. A 10dB change in listening level requires about 10x more power from an amp so going to a listening level of 80dB will require your amp to put out approximately 100mW and if you listen at 90dB (getting in to dangerous levels here) the amp will need to put out 1000mW (1W). While I know that many love to listen at higher levels just use some common sense and not damage your hearing.
Exactly, I listen at very low levels and I have no issues with mostly any output device in terms of volume or wattage maximums.

Sep 11, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #4,464 of 4,580
Hey guys I'm joining the group soon!
I just ordered a black K7XX from MD on Sep 9.
The tracking hasn't been updated yet.

I sold my DT990Pro just to get these! Way so excited right now.
Anyway, is the new K7XXs I bought are same as your First Edition?

Sep 11, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #4,465 of 4,580
I have to agree the HD700 is my most comfortable over ear

Guys I made a thing. The suspension was getting loose, so I coiled string up to the point where I wanted it to stop. I've seen other people gluing them or using rubber bands. I think this is better looking and it isn't permanent. I need to use this string for something else, but once I buy new string I'm going to glue the knot and cut it so it doesn't stick out.

UhM5EJ3.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #4,467 of 4,580
Making of AKG 702:

Sep 17, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #4,468 of 4,580
Guys I made a thing. The suspension was getting loose, so I coiled string up to the point where I wanted it to stop. I've seen other people gluing them or using rubber bands. I think this is better looking and it isn't permanent. I need to use this string for something else, but once I buy new string I'm going to glue the knot and cut it so it doesn't stick out.

Thanks for this! Should be really useful when my 612 becomes too old

Sep 18, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #4,469 of 4,580
My K7XXs have finally departed from Germany (transit country)!
Anyway, anyone here use them with amp with higher output impedance, say, 10 Ohm?
I have Fiio A5 (near zero ohm) and Yulong DAART Canary (10 Ohm) and wonder whether K7XX with its low impedance would be affected by high output Z.
Maybe if it turns out to be too bassy with loose bass with my 10 Ohm amp, I'll buy a Magni.

Sep 19, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #4,470 of 4,580
My K7XXs have finally departed from Germany (transit country)!
Anyway, anyone here use them with amp with higher output impedance, say, 10 Ohm?
I have Fiio A5 (near zero ohm) and Yulong DAART Canary (10 Ohm) and wonder whether K7XX with its low impedance would be affected by high output Z.
Maybe if it turns out to be too bassy with loose bass with my 10 Ohm amp, I'll buy a Magni.
I have a Project Ember with you can change the output impedance from 0.1 to 35 to 120 ohms and I also have a BH Crack with a estimated output impedance of 75-85 ohms. With the Ember changing the output impedance from 0.1 to 35 changes the bass and highs, the bass becomes slightly less clean and the highs are not as extended but appear smoother to me. Going to the 120ohm setting the bass starts to get muddy and the highs appear even more rolled off. With the Bh Crack to sound is quite good but again if I compare it to my Lyr2 or UD-301 the overall sound is not as crisp and clean but some will love the overall warmer relaxed tone and makes long listening sessions easy to handle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back