The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
May 5, 2017 at 2:48 AM Post #4,426 of 4,580
Hello there, I have been thinking of buying myself a good pair of headphones for a while now but I am a total newbie, I was wondering if having an amp for these sort of headphones is sort of "Mandatory" or else I would just be wasting my money. And if so what is a good and relatively cheap amp I could pair with these set of headphones.

an amp is not "mandatory", I would say just listen to the K7XX with what you have if it makes you happy then you don't need an amp, if you find something with the sound signature that is not to your liking then it could be you need an amp but it could also be that you don't care for the basic sound signature of the K7XX to begin with so you can just move on to another headphone. If you do get an amp then I would suggest something that is versatile/flexible to drive many different types of headphones such as a Project Polaris or Ember from Garage 1217 which have adjustable output impedance so they can better match different headphones.

May 5, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #4,428 of 4,580
In the UK the K7XX costs £210 whilst the K712Pro is £205. I like the look of the K7XX better but what is the sound difference between the K7XX and K712Pro like? Is there actually a difference between them or is the difference that people are reporting just manufacturing variance.

At those prices which would be the better set to buy?

May 6, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #4,430 of 4,580
At those prices which would be the better set to buy?

We just recently discussed the same thing over at Massdrop, could be possible manufacturing variance as I personally prefer my current Red K7XX over my previous pair of K712s as I find my XXs a bit better balanced and more open sounding...base has the same extension but better integrated and imaging is better focused, just may be that the drivers have been better matched. Can't honestly say my previous Austrian made 712s differed in construction/materials to the 7XXs, different drivers..hard to tell, the 701s capsules (as AKG calls them) are 2400Z0070s, 702/Annies 2400Z0080s and the 712s 2400Z0090s......also both were new but the XXs do fit a little better/tighter (which can effect the sound)...other than that IMHO they're really the same can.

Just also discovered there is a new (to me) made in China K701 which is cheaper than both so we can throw that into the mix also. : )

Last edited:
May 7, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #4,431 of 4,580
Hi, just a question. How are the K7XX in comfort?

My first "real" headphones was a AKG K240 MKII, and i found them extremely uncomfortable. Since i buyed a B&W P7 (that i love the sound and comfort), the K240 was never used. In truth i remenbered that i had them today when i was about to buy the K7XX. Im trying the K240 right now, and no problems with the sound, but my ears hurt after 30min of use. My original plan was to buy a Sennheiser HD598, but the price of this AKG is tempting.

May 7, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #4,432 of 4,580

My first "real" headphones was a AKG K240 MKII, and i found them extremely uncomfortable. Since i buyed a B&W P7 (that i love the sound and comfort), the K240 was never used. In truth i remenbered that i had them today when i was about to buy the K7XX. Im trying the K240 right now, and no problems with the sound, but my ears hurt after 30min of use. My original plan was to buy a Sennheiser HD598, but the price of this AKG is tempting.

I own both the k240 and k7xx, and the k7xx are much more comfortable. This is because the pads have a much larger diameter, so they will be truly circumaural. The k240 pads have a small opening, so my ears tend to brush up against them. In addition, the pads are soft velour rather than pleather, but the main advantage is the larger opening.

I don't have the 598s, so I can't compare, but the k7xx is one of the most comfortable headphones I own. Both are well regarded, so you'll probably be happy either way.

May 8, 2017 at 1:34 AM Post #4,433 of 4,580

I don't have the K240 but have the K7XX and had a HD598 a while back, both are comfortable for 3-4 hours for me but the HD598 had a clamping force that gave me a headache when new, after stretching the headband gently for a few weeks the comfort is right up there with some of the best. If the K240 is like the K553 then I can understand your comfort issues, while the pads are soft the opening is a touch too small for me so parts of my ears are pinned and do get painful after a while and also very hot due to the pleather material not breathing.

May 8, 2017 at 4:32 AM Post #4,434 of 4,580

I used to own the K240 MKI and I currently own the K7XX and the K240 sextett; my opinion is that if you find the K240's painful physically you probably wont like any AKG

May 13, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #4,435 of 4,580
I own both the k240 and k7xx, and the k7xx are much more comfortable. This is because the pads have a much larger diameter, so they will be truly circumaural. The k240 pads have a small opening, so my ears tend to brush up against them. In addition, the pads are soft velour rather than pleather, but the main advantage is the larger opening.
I don't have the 598s, so I can't compare, but the k7xx is one of the most comfortable headphones I own. Both are well regarded, so you'll probably be happy either way.

I don't have the K240 but have the K7XX and had a HD598 a while back, both are comfortable for 3-4 hours for me but the HD598 had a clamping force that gave me a headache when new, after stretching the headband gently for a few weeks the comfort is right up there with some of the best. If the K240 is like the K553 then I can understand your comfort issues, while the pads are soft the opening is a touch too small for me so parts of my ears are pinned and do get painful after a while and also very hot due to the pleather material not breathing.

I was filling my credit card data on massdrop....

I used to own the K240 MKI and I currently own the K7XX and the K240 sextett; my opinion is that if you find the K240's painful physically you probably wont like any AKG

...when i give up.

My concerns with comfort are too big. Someday in the future i should try a headphone from de K7 line and discover for myself.
Thanks for the help guys =)

May 19, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #4,436 of 4,580
Hello there, I have been thinking of buying myself a good pair of headphones for a while now but I am a total newbie, I was wondering if having an amp for these sort of headphones is sort of "Mandatory" or else I would just be wasting my money. And if so what is a good and relatively cheap amp I could pair with these set of headphones.

If you're a newbie, I suggest you try as many budget headphones as you can before making a purchase. I wouldn't start with a 200$ pair out of nowhere.

As for amping, yes a decent amp (and dac) is required to get the best out of them. Some will go further and say that a powerful amp is required.. I think you'll soon find that in this hobby there's no such think as a consensus. For relatively cheap amps and dacs you can check out Schiit if you're in the USA. Another forum member reported being pointed towards their Magni 2 dac (99$) and Vali 2 amp (169$) as a good match for the K7XX, although they have a cheaper Modi 2 amp (99$) that is also well regarded as a starter's choice.

Again, I wouldn't spend this much at the beginning if I were you. I'd start with a set of cans that can be easily driven without amping and maybe spend a little on one of those small dac/amps that are all the rage recently, such as an Auqioquest Dragonfly Black. Then build up slowly from there if you feel the need to.

May 19, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #4,437 of 4,580

I was filling my credit card data on massdrop....

...when i give up.

My concerns with comfort are too big. Someday in the future i should try a headphone from de K7 line and discover for myself.
Thanks for the help guys =)

what exactly was your comfort issue? I don't find the K7XX too comfortable, mainly due to excessive clamping force. I think it can be fixed with some shaping but haven't gotten around to trying yet.

May 19, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #4,438 of 4,580
what exactly was your comfort issue? I don't find the K7XX too comfortable, mainly due to excessive clamping force. I think it can be fixed with some shaping but haven't gotten around to trying yet.

I have a AKG K240 MKII and i find them extremely uncomfortable and never use it. I never tried another AKG, but buying the K7XX with the danger of not liking...
Besides, the real costs for me (heaphones + shipping + taxes) may be around $450 T.T

May 24, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #4,439 of 4,580

The K7XX are by far the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. Even though they're not the best for classical music, I still use them frequently just because they feel so good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back