The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Aug 1, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #4,096 of 4,580
  I've heard from MD that they have "updated drivers" to fix some issue with the first editions. This is exactly what they told me. 

If that comes from MassDrop then it probably true but no one has said anything about it.  If there was a difference in sound then I think there would be a lot of post stating the differences.  I do remember there were some issues with the first batch so it makes sense that they did some changes but it doesn't appear to have changed the sound.

Aug 1, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #4,097 of 4,580
  I've heard from MD that they have "updated drivers" to fix some issue with the first editions. This is exactly what they told me. 

Great to know.

I purchased the Red Edition and have had them for a few weeks ... I'm really surprised on how good these sound to my ears. With my AK240SS as my source playing 24/192 files, I prefer them to my AKT5ps that I'm currently offering in the classifieds. I had planned to purchase the HD800S, but I've put that on hold since I'm enjoying these so much.

By the way, I bought the original K701s when they first came out in 2005 and didn't like them at all—way too bright for my tastes.

Aug 1, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #4,098 of 4,580
  If that comes from MassDrop then it probably true but no one has said anything about it.  If there was a difference in sound then I think there would be a lot of post stating the differences.  I do remember there were some issues with the first batch so it makes sense that they did some changes but it doesn't appear to have changed the sound.

Yeah, I remember the early batches had rattling noises or something like that. 

Great to know.

I purchased the Red Edition and have had them for a few weeks ... I'm really surprised on how good these sound to my ears. With my AK240SS as my source playing 24/192 files, I prefer them to my AKT5ps that I'm currently offering in the classifieds. I had planned to purchase the HD800S, but I've put that on hold since I'm enjoying these so much.

By the way, I bought the original K701s when they first came out in 2005 and didn't like them at all—way too bright for my tastes.

I was looking at the k701/q701 around the first drop. I was about to order them but I found MD had the k7xx for a lower price and some people were saying these were k712 or Anniversaries at the time.

I love these headphones they're in every way better than my older k240 mkii and much better deal too. I had to return my first editions cause it had some squeaking noise and got the limited editions instead.

Aug 5, 2016 at 4:02 AM Post #4,104 of 4,580
Now that I know the 7XX is a keeper, I'd like to upgrade the cable. I've seen the inexpensive Chinese made cables on eBay and Amazon, but I'm looking for something better without going over $100. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Aug 5, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #4,105 of 4,580
Conisderin these to either complement or replace my Sony CD900ST.

I have had the K701 before an never heard any other mode since, nor have I tried any of the other varients since... is the tuning different?

I'm extremely interested to grab a pair if someone can confirm the sub bass extension is excellent. Maybe run some 60hz down to 10hz test tones. I can help out if anyone wants to try this for fun.

M

I see massdrop has the Xduoo amp but I really want to hold out for the new models... argh!

Now I know AKGs are not bass cannons and they are not designed to be but if anyone can compare it to somtehing like the k701 or the Sony Prefesional (not consumer) lines. I would just ike to know if I can get any sub bass out it. hoping it's one of the occasions where poeple might say "i listened t a 5hz test and felt it but what there hearing yes so it's great  and there!" (like what happened with my Shozy Zero which I both got for free. left a 3 star feedbac from my honest opinions and never heard from again/ but I digress)

So what I am really trying to ask here ere is  K7xx  bassier than the other K7-whatever series AKG's put ot? I owned the K701, K702, K340 (barely remember the soimd_ and modded a 240 pro at some point.

If the K7xx has a little more bass in the mix than usual I'll snatch it up off that next MD although I'd much rather give a fellow Head Fi user my money than a company. like masdrop.

Aug 5, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #4,106 of 4,580
  Now that I know the 7XX is a keeper, I'd like to upgrade the cable. I've seen the inexpensive Chinese made cables on eBay and Amazon, but I'm looking for something better without going over $100. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I've got one and the sound thankfully improves. It's as if my k7xx gets opened up. Everything is more clean, the treble is more sparkling. But it's a diy cable from Singapore. 
Recabling is really a risky business. The sound will almost certainly changes, but it's not for certain that it will be better. 

So what I am really trying to ask here ere is  K7xx  bassier than the other K7-whatever series AKG's put ot? I owned the K701, K702, K340 (barely remember the soimd_ and modded a 240 pro at some point.

If the K7xx has a little more bass in the mix than usual I'll snatch it up off that next MD although I'd much rather give a fellow Head Fi user my money than a company. like masdrop.

In short, yes. The k712 or k702 annie will be your best reference point. I have not heard any Sony Professional so I can't give you a comparison, but the K7xx is like my dream AKG. It's my second bassy-est headphones at the moment, after the vmoda m100.

Aug 5, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #4,107 of 4,580

Same here, I hated the K701s (I still keep them around to remind me to never buy a headphone based on hype alone - alas this did not really work
wink.gif
).
The AKG K7XX are fine headphones and a good deal for the price (and also a lot more comfortable than the original K701s).

Aug 5, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #4,108 of 4,580
I've got one and the sound thankfully improves. It's as if my k7xx gets opened up. Everything is more clean, the treble is more sparkling. But it's a diy cable from Singapore. 
Recabling is really a risky business. The sound will almost certainly changes, but it's not for certain that it will be better. 
What material bro? Found someone doing it for around $100 for 1.2m custom cable.

Aug 5, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #4,109 of 4,580

Never found so called better cables to make much difference but if the stock cable is really bad then for some it might make a difference.  FWIW I've tried 2 really nice cables, one from Double-Helix and one from Forza, about $350-450 depending on the length, beautiful cables but there was no change in the sound.

Also tried some cheap cables from china for my Momentum and X1 and found them to be no different from the stock cable as far as sound goes but in use I liked the Chinese cables better since they were softer and less prone to tangle.

@vapman, the K7XX has more bass than most of the other Q/K70X line and they are the least bright IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back