The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Jul 19, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #4,066 of 4,580
Hi guys,

Any chance of changing the cable to balanced for the k7xx..??

Will it improve greatly the sound quality.??

Thanks,
Jonathan

Depends on the amp and if you are handy enough to replace the mini xlr connection within. I had mine done and there is a notable difference running balanced with my Pulse X Infinity compared to SE.

Jul 19, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #4,067 of 4,580
  Is there any general consensus as to whether a copper or silver replacement cable is best for these headphones?  I bought these to replace my old K701s and it used a copper cable.  I was generally pleased with it.  Additional warmth was not detectable.

Haven't seen any consensus as to even any cable swap making a difference, and I haven't seen any mention of copper or silver being preferred either.

I'm not sure about silver or cable (some people say they change this, others say they change that...) but I have a custom cable that comes from the previous owner and the improvement is definitely audible. However, it's just about 10%.

Jul 19, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #4,068 of 4,580
I put a Canare cable on my K7XX's and liked the results for about $30. Not a huge difference though.

Jul 20, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #4,069 of 4,580
Just received my Red Edition. For the price, the fit and finish is quite good. The red color shown on Massdrop is brighter than the red on the 7XX ... mine have a more subdued, darker red which I like a lot.

I expected the 7XX to be pretty bright out of the box, but they weren't. There's a lack of ease in the mids but I expect that to improve with burn-in. These may be a keeper.

My 240SS drives the 7XXs well but I do have to max out the volume with some music. I may try one of the Xduoo XD-05s since they're not expensive. If anyone has tried this combination, I'd love to hear your comments.

Jul 20, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #4,071 of 4,580
I expected the 7XX to be pretty bright out of the box, but they weren't. There's a lack of ease in the mids but I expect that to improve with burn-in. These may be a keeper.

How would you rate female vocals on the K7xx? I heard they are not as clear and as forward as the vocals on the HD 558, which is where I'm coming from.

Jul 20, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #4,072 of 4,580
How would you rate female vocals on the K7xx? I heard they are not as clear and as forward as the vocals on the HD 558, which is where I'm coming from.

As a previous owner of the hd558 I think nothing could be further from the truth. If you get the k7xx and come back to the hd558, "dark" is the word that will come to mind. 

And the k7xx will need to be properly amped too.
  Just received my Red Edition. For the price, the fit and finish is quite good. The red color shown on Massdrop is brighter than the red on the 7XX ... mine have a more subdued, darker red which I like a lot.

My 240SS drives the 7XXs well but I do have to max out the volume with some music. I may try one of the Xduoo XD-05s since they're not expensive. If anyone has tried this combination, I'd love to hear your comments.

The XD05 will be a great choice for the k7xx, as it's quite neutral but not too dry. There's plenty of functionalities on the XD05 too. 

Jul 20, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #4,073 of 4,580
  The XD05 will be a great choice for the k7xx, as it's quite neutral but not too dry. There's plenty of functionalities on the XD05 too. 

Thank you for the input. I'm deciding whether to go with the inexpensive route (the XD-05) or the more expensive route (Grace M9XX). Portability isn't necessary.

Jul 20, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #4,074 of 4,580
Well if you say so, I like the XD05 a lot. Did a detailed comparison between it and the JDS C5D and the Oppo HA2 and put the XD just a little bit behind the C5D in terms of sound. But in terms of price/performance and functionalities, the XD comes out on top.
Here's the link, but it's in another language (Vietnamese):
http://vnreview.vn/danh-gia-top-10/-/view_content/content/1844519/do-suc-3-chiec-amp-dac-di-dong-hap-dan-jds-c5d-oppo-ha-2-va-xduoo-xd-05

Did I keep it? No. I'm rocking a m9xx for my both my Little Dot I+ and my speaker system. If your finances allow it, go straight for the m9xx and set your mind at ease, for you'll have to come a long way to find anything under $1000 that surpasses it. Else, the XD05 won't disappoint, but it's just not a $500 dac/amp.

Jul 20, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #4,075 of 4,580
As a previous owner of the hd558 I think nothing could be further from the truth. If you get the k7xx and come back to the hd558, "dark" is the word that will come to mind. 

"Dark" as in the K7xx's are much darker than the HD 558? I've heard some mixed opinions about this with regards to the K7xx. I wouldn't mind a slightly darker headphone because the HD 558's are somewhat lacking in warmth especially in the low end. But if it comes at the cost of vocals, then I'll probably not like it after some time since I prioritise vocals over everything else.

Jul 20, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #4,076 of 4,580
"Dark" as in the K7xx's are much darker than the HD 558? I've heard some mixed opinions about this with regards to the K7xx. I wouldn't mind a slightly darker headphone because the HD 558's are somewhat lacking in warmth especially in the low end. But if it comes at the cost of vocals, then I'll probably not like it after some time since I prioritise vocals over everything else.

No, the HD558 is darker than the K7xx. The K7xx has deep bass, very good details, big soundstage and sparkling mids (like its AKG 7 brothers). The HD558 doesn't extend as low in the bass and sound very claustrophobic. I myself would never classify the K7xx as "dark". It may be warm and especially so in comparison to the K701/K702 or Q701, but it's by no mean a dark headphone. 

The k7xx in my books is a good all-arounder that can play anything from Vocals to Progressive Rock. However if you prioritise vocals, I think in the same price range the ATH-AD900X might be better. 

Jul 20, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #4,077 of 4,580

Not my initial impression. I find female vocals very clear although there is a bit of edge to them given the few hours of play I have on the 7XXs. I expect burn-in will clean this up. Sorry, not familiar with the HD-558s.

Jul 21, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #4,078 of 4,580

Didn't try the HD-558 but had a HD-598, female vocals were pretty good but not quite as good as the K7XX which to me is a bit smoother and fuller sounding.  If I want great female vocals then its either EL8 open, SRH-1840, RS2e or the HD-650 would be my go to headphones.

The K7XX needs a decent amp to go with it, I like it paired with either the headphone output of the UD-301 or from a Project Ember, a BH Crack is also a pretty good pairing to me.

Jul 21, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #4,079 of 4,580
No, the HD558 is darker than the K7xx. The K7xx has deep bass, very good details, big soundstage and sparkling mids (like its AKG 7 brothers). The HD558 doesn't extend as low in the bass and sound very claustrophobic. I myself would never classify the K7xx as "dark". It may be warm and especially so in comparison to the K701/K702 or Q701, but it's by no mean a dark headphone. 

The k7xx in my books is a good all-arounder that can play anything from Vocals to Progressive Rock. However if you prioritise vocals, I think in the same price range the ATH-AD900X might be better. 

Not my initial impression. I find female vocals very clear although there is a bit of edge to them given the few hours of play I have on the 7XXs. I expect burn-in will clean this up. Sorry, not familiar with the HD-558s.

Didn't try the HD-558 but had a HD-598, female vocals were pretty good but not quite as good as the K7XX which to me is a bit smoother and fuller sounding.  If I want great female vocals then its either EL8 open, SRH-1840, RS2e or the HD-650 would be my go to headphones.

The K7XX needs a decent amp to go with it, I like it paired with either the headphone output of the UD-301 or from a Project Ember, a BH Crack is also a pretty good pairing to me.

Thanks for the input guys! Looks like it'll still sound great regardless.
I still got a couple more days to consider before the drop ends, so hopefully I'll reach a consensus by then. :cool:

Jul 21, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #4,080 of 4,580
Thanks for the input guys! Looks like it'll still sound great regardless.
I still got a couple more days to consider before the drop ends, so hopefully I'll reach a consensus by then.
cool.gif

Its one of the best deals in headphones to me, another thing to consider is that its easier to drive properly than the HD-600/650 and you will have a good reference point in comparison with other headphones that you might be interested in down the road since many here oh Head-Fi have heard the K7XX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back