The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Jul 21, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #4,081 of 4,580
How would you rate female vocals on the K7xx? I heard they are not as clear and as forward as the vocals on the HD 558, which is where I'm coming from.

Vocals on the K7XX are good. Transparent, detailed. Not dark at all. I do prefer Grado's for vocals... Less accurate, more fun.

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #4,083 of 4,580
Just joined the drop a minute ago. Thanks for all your input guys can't wait to receive them! Hope I won't regret this.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have 30 hours of play on mine after receiving them yesterday, and the 7XX is improving in terms of bass weight and texture and the mids are smoothing out. I am ecstatic with my purchase, one of the the best audio items for the money I've ever purchased.

Jul 22, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #4,085 of 4,580
I have 30 hours of play on mine after receiving them yesterday, and the 7XX is improving in terms of bass weight and texture and the mids are smoothing out. I am ecstatic with my purchase, one of the the best audio items for the money I've ever purchased.

Glad you like them! They do open up, don't they?

Jul 22, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #4,086 of 4,580
Glad you like them! They do open up, don't they?

Yes, they do. I worked in the High End biz for many years and found burn-in to be a real factor. I'm always surprised when I read someone is selling a new item after a short listen ... give it 100 hours at least before making a final determination.

Jul 23, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #4,087 of 4,580
These headphones are really hard to beat for the price. They're particularly good for gaming since unlike the commonly recommended Audio Technica AD700x, they have fantastic bass and overall tonality in addition to soundstage.

Jul 24, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #4,088 of 4,580
I've bought Fidelio x2 but returned because of the glued pads , I like the sound but I'm thinking to buy the k702,i have a audinst mini , is it enough for these headphones? I like the analytical listening so the neutrality of the akg attracts me ,even if I'm bothered about the basses,what do you suggest to me ?

Inviato dal mio A0001 utilizzando Tapatalk

Jul 24, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #4,090 of 4,580
I've bought Fidelio x2 but returned because of the glued pads , I like the sound but I'm thinking to buy the k702,i have a audinst mini , is it enough for these headphones? I like the analytical listening so the neutrality of the akg attracts me ,even if I'm bothered about the basses,what do you suggest to me ?

Inviato dal mio A0001 utilizzando Tapatalk

Never heard the Audinst Mini but reading the specs it should be able to drive the K7XX without issues.  I also had the Fidelio X2 but returned them since they sound to close to the X1 which I also have.  The K7XX is a different sound from the X1/X2, better sound stage, highs are extended more, bass is tighter but not as much quantity, and mids on X2 are a little better to me.

Jul 24, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #4,091 of 4,580
I'm considering a VorzAMP Duo for my 7XXs. My 240ss is not quite right in amplifying the AKGs.

Jul 26, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #4,092 of 4,580
I have a special objective2, loaded with 2 burson v5i and 1 burson v5ss. To my amazement when driving the K7xx it sounds even better than my beloved Little Dot I+. Better clarity, tighter bass.

Aug 1, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #4,095 of 4,580
  nope, same headphone, only the name is different

I've heard from MD that they have "updated drivers" to fix some issue with the first editions. This is exactly what they told me. 
The K7XX Limited Edition is the same headphone as the First Edition in terms of sound quality and build. The difference between the two is that the Limited Edition has a better driver that corrected the issue experienced with the First Edition. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back