The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Nov 5, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #2,251 of 6,345
I think I had that card too. If it works right, who cares? I mean, I think the card could be there for two reasons:
1. the headphones are sold around the world, so English, French, and I guess Chinese would give good international support.
2. The headphones are designed, engineered, (selected) and assembled in Austria, but the parts could be fabricated in China and the card is there to list what should be included.

Is it really a big deal?

Yes, it's a big deal. It's called truth in advertising. I'd rather make up my mind to purchase a product with all the facts in front. If it's "engineered," "assembled," and "made" in
Austria it implies that the whole production/building of parts was done IN Austria. Building parts in China or anywhere else is not stated or implied in any of their advertisement OR the box!

This is not sinophobia on my part as almost every single one of my HP amplifiers and two HPs are made in China. My issue is with AKG. The Chinese companies
I've dealt with are up front when it comes to describing WHERE the parts of their products are manufactured and seem to take great pride that they use "other peoples'" parts
in building their products..

Nov 6, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #2,252 of 6,345

Yes, it's a big deal. It's called truth in advertising. I'd rather make up my mind to purchase a product with all the facts in front. If it's "engineered," "assembled," and "made" in
Austria it implies that the whole production/building of parts was done IN Austria. Building parts in China or anywhere else is not stated or implied in any of their advertisement OR the box!

This is not sinophobia on my part as almost every single one of my HP amplifiers and two HPs are made in China. My issue is with AKG. The Chinese companies
I've dealt with are up front when it comes to describing WHERE the parts of their products are manufactured and seem to take great pride that they use "other peoples'" parts
in building their products..

You should return them if that bothers you that much. 
blink.gif

Nov 6, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #2,253 of 6,345

If it's "engineered," "assembled," and "made" in Austria it implies that the whole production/building of parts was done IN Austria.

Every one of those words in quotes is generally a cop-out used by manufacturers to avoid saying that they source from China. "Engineered in..." almost definitely means it's not made in the country advertised, and "assembled in..." means that parts are shipped from elsewhere to be put together on-site.

"Made in..." is the most direct and trustworthy statement, but you should never expect from a modern company that all the parts for a product come from the country of manufacture. In terms of electronics manufacturing, it's almost impossible to find certain chips and screen components that are made in Europe or North America, and that goes for certain headphone components as well.

Nov 6, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #2,254 of 6,345
Decided to keep mine, the company didn't reply to my returns request and I decided I couldn't be arsed to walk down the post office and pay to send them back. Do feel a bit ripped off with the general consensus they are just rebadged Q701's. They do sound nice though and the bass is more than adequate.

This place does my head in, even after trawling through threads and pulling the trigger on something, you get them and change your mind. The pursuit of audio perfection is an expensive and frustrating one.

Nov 6, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #2,256 of 6,345
  I think it should be genuine.

Watch this youtube clip at HD quality and stop at 9:02, I think it looks the same as your card with Chinese words.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VinFvYUAG98

The same goes for this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THhGvewEo5M
Watch at full HD, zoom in at 0:32, and you will notice it is the same.

I think it need Chinese words because K612 Pro is made in China. The card is printed for both use for k712 pro and k612 pro.

The K612 is made in Austria. I have a pair. I found Chinese print on the card my headphone came with as well.

Nov 6, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #2,257 of 6,345
Makes one ironically wonder whether the "Made in Austria" decal is affixed in China. What about the 812?

(AKG directed me to the "Consumer" division because I had sent the inquiry e-mail to the "Professional" branch of the company.)

Nov 6, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #2,258 of 6,345
Makes one ironically wonder whether the "Made in Austria" decal is affixed in China.

It's on the box as well. Some reason people just assume it's made in China without verifying it. There seems to be some misinformation floating around about the K6xx series. The K812 is made in Austria, can be verified by looking at the pictures it's printed on the right earcup of the headphone.

Nov 7, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #2,259 of 6,345

It's on the box as well. Some reason people just assume it's made in China without verifying it. There seems to be some misinformation floating around about the K6xx series.

It's likely the K612 production will move to China soon, just like the rest of AKG's low-tier lineup. AKG just loves to do this. Switch production to China suddenly, while not mentioning a word. Why else can't you find any info on where the K612's are made on any of AKG's websites? Whereas the K712 has "Made in Austria" proudly stamped on the headphones themselves, on the akg's website, and on the data sheet.

Moral of the story? If you're interested in the K612's, now's the time to buy a pair.

Nov 7, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #2,260 of 6,345

It's likely the K612 production will move to China soon, just like the rest of AKG's low-tier lineup. AKG just loves to do this. Switch production to China suddenly, while not mentioning a word. Why else can't you find any info on where the K612's are made on any of AKG's websites? Whereas the K712 has "Made in Austria" proudly stamped on the headphones themselves, on the akg's website, and on the data sheet.

Moral of the story? If you're interested in the K612's, now's the time to buy a pair.

Maybe, but maybe not, can't be for sure. I have noticed almost no one is even trying the headphone though. I have no idea why the K612 is pretty much ignored, it's a really good headphone and is basically on-par with the Q701, just different.

Nov 7, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #2,261 of 6,345
Nov 7, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #2,262 of 6,345
I am referring to this document 
http://www.akg-pro.ch/files_ap/AKG/Produkte/K702%2065th%20Anniversary%20Limited%20Edition/akg_k702_65th_anniversary_limited_edition_katalog_de.pdf

Since it didn't mention K612 Pro is made in Austria, so I assume it is made in China. Maybe I am wrong, because I am not sure the validity of this document.

That is weird, but my pair was made in Austria. Seems the K702 is made in China now from what I read on reviews of newer pairs, odd the K612 isn't. I haven't heard of the K612 being made anywhere but Austria. It could be the first batch was made in Austria, but who knows.

Nov 7, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #2,263 of 6,345
Are the two small black wires coming out of the top of the cup on these the actual sound cable, I keep thinking they're to do with the headband adjustment. Every time I grab the cans I seem to touch them, I will be most worried if these two thin delicate wires are.

Nov 7, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #2,264 of 6,345
  Decided to keep mine, the company didn't reply to my returns request and I decided I couldn't be arsed to walk down the post office and pay to send them back. Do feel a bit ripped off with the general consensus they are just rebadged Q701's. They do sound nice though and the bass is more than adequate.

This place does my head in, even after trawling through threads and pulling the trigger on something, you get them and change your mind. The pursuit of audio perfection is an expensive and frustrating one.

Has this been proven to be true?

Nov 7, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #2,265 of 6,345

Quote:

Has this been proven to be true?

The general consensus is the opposite.  The K712 is not a re-badged Q701.

With that said, they are of course going to be fairly similar sounding (like the other x70x "variations").

Users who are viewing this thread

Back