The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Oct 17, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #2,026 of 6,345

K712 Pro have significantly more bass than Q701 I've heard... Not a bit, very significantly more.

Therefore I must recommend you the HD800, or T1s... These have more bass than Q701 but not a lot more - just enough to become neutral enough in bass region.

The way you describe the low-end of the K712, I wonder if my pair is broken haha. I find the balance top to bottom fairly consistent in the K712. The K712 does have more bass than the K/Q701, but the increase to me is welcome and gets me closer to the tonal balance I have wanted out of AKG for years.

Oct 17, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #2,027 of 6,345
  Got my K712s in this afternoon and been getting some quick listening in for about 15 minutes.  So far so good.  Slightly different sound than I expected having owned the K702 65th Anni  however...

When I had my Annies, I was powering them with an Audio-GD SA-31 amp and Resonessence Concero as usb converter to a PS Audio Nuwave DAC.  Now I'm using a Burson Soloist driven by a simple Schiit Modi.  My quick assumption would be that the K712/K702 65th seem rather sensitive to the gear that's driving them.  The K712 with my current gear seems much more open and airy than I remember the Annies being.  Probably need to let them burn in a little more though.

My only real complaint about them after 3 days of extensive listening is the amount of bass... It's too much to be called neutral. K712 Pro sound very enjoyable with metal, some rock and overly bright music in general. And yeah, I still find them versatile and quite balanced. But going from HD800, these are definitely nowhere as precise and monitor-like.

Too much bass in front of me - they just fail to deliver realistic bass guitar, properly imaged in front of me... They rather emanate bass all over the place which prevents other instruments to shine fully. Not as veiled as HD650 and definitely much faster but still, they are far from clarity offered by HD800s.

Oct 17, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #2,028 of 6,345

K712 Pro have significantly more bass than Q701 I've heard... Not a bit, very significantly more.

Therefore I must recommend you the HD800, or T1s... These have more bass than Q701 but not a lot more - just enough to become neutral enough in bass region.

The way you describe the low-end of the K712, I wonder if my pair is broken haha. I find the balance top to bottom fairly consistent in the K712. The K712 does have more bass than the K/Q701, but the increase to me is welcome and gets me closer to the tonal balance I have wanted out of AKG for years.

Nah, it's rather a matter of preference or different audio chains... 
beerchug.gif

Oct 17, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #2,029 of 6,345

This is going to be very subjective... Though I would recommend K712 Pro for low to normal listening levels. They have really significant amount of bass for neutrality seakers but they offer enough treble and soundstaging to be still balanced enough and not overly veiled/muffled.

Btw, I like k712 Pro the most with metal... These are definitely very good for metalheads. Not perfect but I would go as far to recommend them over LCD-2 due to their better soundstaging and a bit better FR balance. They are forgiving enough as well, surprisingly.

I have to agree with you on the recommendation for metal.  I don't know if it's just synergy with my current amp or they really did tweak it from the Annie's even (the former i'm guessing)  I was worried that the bass response would muddy the perception of speed for metal but it doesn't seem to be the case.  A fun headphone for sure so far.

Oct 17, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #2,030 of 6,345
  Got my K712s in this afternoon and been getting some quick listening in for about 15 minutes.  So far so good.  Slightly different sound than I expected having owned the K702 65th Anni  however...

When I had my Annies, I was powering them with an Audio-GD SA-31 amp and Resonessence Concero as usb converter to a PS Audio Nuwave DAC.  Now I'm using a Burson Soloist driven by a simple Schiit Modi.  My quick assumption would be that the K712/K702 65th seem rather sensitive to the gear that's driving them.  The K712 with my current gear seems much more open and airy than I remember the Annies being.  Probably need to let them burn in a little more though.

Sounds like good news to me and hope burn in doesn't change this
biggrin.gif
I really wanted to hear something like this.
Modi or ODAC sounds like it would be perfect for the K712. Modi always sounds crystal clear for me and I have no complaints about it's sound if I tried really hard. That's almost impossible for me!

The "Annie" I heard was not open/spacious/airy even remotely for me. Guess I heard it differently than most!
This was with gear that's transparent and not warm/dark etc. I believe I tried it with both the Modi and ODAC.

Still looking forward to the K712 despite all the warning signs to not bother.

Oct 17, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #2,031 of 6,345

If things don't pan out you still will have the option to see how it sounds with angled pads from your Qs. I think I remember chico saying he prefers that combo...

Oct 17, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #2,032 of 6,345

Sounds like good news to me and hope burn in doesn't change this
biggrin.gif
I really wanted to hear something like this.
Modi or ODAC sounds like it would be perfect for the K712. Modi always sounds crystal clear for me and I have no complaints about it's sound if I tried really hard. That's almost impossible for me!

The "Annie" I heard was not open/spacious/airy even remotely for me. Guess I heard it differently than most!
This was with gear that's transparent and not warm/dark etc. I believe I tried it with both the Modi and ODAC.

The Modi does have a tendency to lean a little on the bright side so that is probably some of the difference for me.  But downgrading from about $1600 worth of "source" to $100, your not losing as much performance as you would think.  Of course, I'd like to re-up my source eventually when I can comfortably afford.  

I will say the there is something about these in my setup I'm really liking, even compared to the HD800 but I can't quite put my finger on what is yet.  Gotta think of a way to describe it.  Whatever the quality is it makes well recorded drums sound amazing and mid bass grooves really swing.  But, I don't think is simply a mid bass hump.  It's almost like a combination of space and texture.  Hard to explain.  I think it may also have to do with micro-dynamic changes, like ghost notes on a snare drum.  Room ambiance cues and reflections seem very well represented as well.

Of course the HD800 is still a much higher performance headphone but these K712s just groove...

Oct 17, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #2,034 of 6,345
  The Modi does have a tendency to lean a little on the bright side so that is probably some of the difference for me.  But downgrading from about $1600 worth of "source" to $100, your not losing as much performance as you would think.  Of course, I'd like to re-up my source eventually when I can comfortably afford.  

I will say the there is something about these in my setup I'm really liking, even compared to the HD800 but I can't quite put my finger on what is yet.  Gotta think of a way to describe it.  Whatever the quality is it makes well recorded drums sound amazing and mid bass grooves really swing.  But, I don't think is simply a mid bass hump.  It's almost like a combination of space and texture.  Hard to explain.  I think it may also have to do with micro-dynamic changes, like ghost notes on a snare drum.  Room ambiance cues and reflections seem very well represented as well.

Of course the HD800 is still a much higher performance headphone but these K712s just groove...

I would say that I like drums the most on K712 Pro... Very likely the only instrument that is as enjoyable to listen as with the Sennheisers. Still, there is a very apparent gap in terms of how realistic both headphones sound. Different leagues.

(don't get me wrong, K712 Pro are brilliant mid-fi headphones... my favourite)

Oct 17, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #2,035 of 6,345

I would say that I like drums the most on K712 Pro... Very likely the only instrument that is as enjoyable to listen as with the Sennheisers. Still, there is a very apparent gap in terms of how realistic both headphones sound. Different leagues.

(don't get me wrong, K712 Pro are brilliant mid-fi headphones... my favourite)

Of course, I won't argue that one.  Though, I need to hear the T1 again some time and compare them to the K712, it's been a long time since I've owned the T1 but I have a feeling the gap would be much closer.

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #2,036 of 6,345
Do you hear the rattling sounds in this track clearly through the start of the song with the K712? Please be honest! I'll give you $200000 if you tell me what it is.
What frequency do you think it is? Do you hear it clear as a bell on the HD-800?

Oct 18, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #2,039 of 6,345

My only real complaint about them after 3 days of extensive listening is the amount of bass... It's too much to be called neutral. K712 Pro sound very enjoyable with metal, some rock and overly bright music in general. And yeah, I still find them versatile and quite balanced. But going from HD800, these are definitely nowhere as precise and monitor-like.

Too much bass in front of me - they just fail to deliver realistic bass guitar, properly imaged in front of me... They rather emanate bass all over the place which prevents other instruments to shine fully. Not as veiled as HD650 and definitely much faster but still, they are far from clarity offered by HD800s.

I'm not sure it's useful to continually compare the K712's with the HD800's, which cost 3 times as much.

I'll have to disagree with you on the bass issue; I think the bass on the K712 is very much in the neutral range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back