The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Oct 7, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #1,831 of 6,345
  For me the K712 is one of the best headphones in his price range! Over all better than D7000.

Now I play "sara k. - Hell Or High Water" (SACD) - its a superb sounding!

This is my conclusion too with the AH-D2000.  The Denon headphones have that closed bloated bass and a blurry resonance that is even worse than the AKG K712.

Oct 7, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #1,832 of 6,345
Just making sure I did not need to clear something up.  I am always up for open discussion after all I am still learning too.

For those of you out there with the HD800 wanting to try the AKG K712 Pro I say forget it.  The HD800 is just about the best headphone out there and is clearly more engaging than the AKG K712 Pro.

I own both and I would disagree with your conclusion. The HD800 is a superb headphone in many ways, but like all cans, it's not the be all end all as some describe. It is airy and more detailed than the K712, but lacks warmth and bass slam in direct comparison with the far less expensive AKG.
Sound staging is somewhat better with the 800, but the 712 is no slouch either. For the money, the 712 is a killer headphone. For those HD800 owners curious about the 712, I say go for it. Time and again when I compare the 2 with the same source and amp, more than 85% of the time I prefer the 712.
I'm sure some here will slam me for this, but this is not speculation, it's first hand expirence and observation.

Oct 7, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #1,833 of 6,345

This is my conclusion too with the AH-D2000.  The Denon headphones have that closed bloated bass and a blurry resonance that is even worse than the AKG K712.

Do you think the K712 is darker than the HD-650?
If you can, try to listen to the K702 Annie if you ever see it for demo. I'd be interested if you think it sounds similar to your K712. I felt the Annie was darker and more congested than MY HD-650 so it was not a good match for me. I could barely stand it for more than a half hour. I keep telling myself I may hate the K712, but I'm probably going to be wrong. It might surprise me.

I wish there were more people who have heard both the Anniversary edition and the K712.

Oct 7, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #1,834 of 6,345

Do you think the K712 is darker than the HD-650?
If you can, try to listen to the K702 Annie if you ever see it for demo. I'd be interested if you think it sounds similar to your K712. I felt the Annie was darker and more congested than MY HD-650 so it was not a good match for me. I could barely stand it for more than a half hour. I keep telling myself I may hate the K712, but I'm probably going to be wrong. It might surprise me.

I wish there were more people who have heard both the Anniversary edition and the K712.

I haven't heard the HD650 yet but my HD600 is slightly darker (and less fatiguing) than the K712 and the HD650 is darker than the HD600 so it would follow that the HD650 is darker than the K712. Based on the FR graphs you can expect the K712 to have pretty significantly brighter treble compared to the HD650.

Oct 7, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #1,836 of 6,345
Replace Denon D2000's with these.  Planned on getting Beyerdynamic T90's but the sibilance reports and my  DT 880 600 ohm experience put me off.  Was after a mostly neutral phone without to much base or recessed mids, the K712's seem to work.  These are so much more transparent compared to the muddy and overly-bassy D2000's.  Vocals aren't as clear as the 880's (Faunts Explain) but are very close and the last minute of Explain (Apple Loss-less)=sibilance fest on the 880's which weren't bassy enough.  The K712's are almost sibilance free and are bassy enough.

Compared the 880 to the K712's a few weeks ago, can't remember the other songs I used but pretty much also found the K712's to seem more transparent, bassier and less sibalent.  

Oct 7, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #1,838 of 6,345
I own both and I would disagree with your conclusion. The HD800 is a superb headphone in many ways, but like all cans, it's not the be all end all as some describe. It is airy and more detailed than the K712, but lacks warmth and bass slam in direct comparison with the far less expensive AKG.
Sound staging is somewhat better with the 800, but the 712 is no slouch either. For the money, the 712 is a killer headphone. For those HD800 owners curious about the 712, I say go for it. Time and again when I compare the 2 with the same source and amp, more than 85% of the time I prefer the 712.
I'm sure some here will slam me for this, but this is not speculation, it's first hand expirence and observation.

On Juno Reactor's God is God from their Bible of Dreams album the modified HD800 I am listening to has more slam in the beginning than the AKG K712 Pro.  I think it has more to do with the bass emphasis of each headphone and the track.  On some track the HD800 has more slam and on others the AKG K712 Pro, but in 90% of my reference music the HD800 clearly contains more slam and coherence.

See here:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/diy-modification-sennheiser-hd-800-anaxilus-mod

I will conduct a stock HD800 review soon, but the measured FR changes are minimal.

Oct 8, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #1,839 of 6,345
One more thing that has become evident as I have listened to the Q701 for the first time since getting the K712 (haven't done intense back-to-back A/B comparisons yet): I have always noticed that the Q701 seemed to sound a little "held back," in addition to sounding a tad harsher in the treble, without experimenting around for optimal amping, but the K712 seemed more amping-forgiving and closer to the amped "target" than the Q701 when plugging straight into my Recon3D USB for surround gaming and iPad headphone jack when I'm tired and I just want to reach for my headphones and enjoy music before falling asleep.

Oct 8, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #1,840 of 6,345
Different strokes for different folks. On my rig and ears I prefer the bass on the 712. I love my HD800 and I'm planning on picking up the HDVD800 amp in January. I'm hoping that pairing them with an amp designed for them will give me better results.

Oct 9, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #1,841 of 6,345
Yeah but keep in mind that every model from x7xx series can be tuned to have more bass slam too. 

Quote:

On Juno Reactor's God is God from their Bible of Dreams album the modified HD800 I am listening to has more slam in the beginning than the AKG K712 Pro.  I think it has more to do with the bass emphasis of each headphone and the track.  On some track the HD800 has more slam and on others the AKG K712 Pro, but in 90% of my reference music the HD800 clearly contains more slam and coherence.

See here:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/diy-modification-sennheiser-hd-800-anaxilus-mod

I will conduct a stock HD800 review soon, but the measured FR changes are minimal.

Oct 9, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #1,844 of 6,345
  Edit: Nvm, I see there are plenty.

Arr, can't decide whether I should get the 702 65th or the 712.. I really don't like orange.

They are both going to sound awesome so going with the color you want makes sense.

Agreed, getting based on color isnt such a taboo in this case haha.
I bought my K702 Annies because I didnt like the Orange on the K712s.
My annies cost $400 new, and you can find deals on Annies pretty easily it seems. For now anyway.

And my Annies seem to have come with K712 pads.. looks like it from pics anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back