The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Sep 5, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #1,321 of 6,349
I'll wait for A/B comparisons with HD600 before I decide I have an inferior hp.  No way am I getting this though.  Not going to get caught into multiple headphone juggling or the minor upgrade for substantial loss exchange.  I use Q701s for films and for certain music that has synergy with them which I haven't yet pinpointed.  I don't like warmth with films though; I don't care for action movies and don't want deep bass response as in real life you don't get that unless you're near a subwoofer.  It disrupts the soundstage for films as it just permeates throughout without having a definite source.  I think the warmer signature will reduce separation as well which is important for me.

Need every reason to not be tempted by these and be satisfied with what I have.  I don't mind "fatiguing" sound that much.  Warmer does not equal better.  I don't need to be strapped to mini speakers strapped to metal and plastic contorted to the shape of my head for hours every day.

Sep 5, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #1,322 of 6,349
From the deals thread:

Now through Sept. 15th, get $115 off the NEW K712 PRO with coupon code RAZORDOGK712 at www.razordogaudio.com

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #1,323 of 6,349
OK great, I just purchased a Lyr from another head-fi member here, can't wait. Last question, I will be using the Titanium HD soundcard since I will be using this setup for gaming, will the Titanium HD also be good for music as a DAC?

That soundcard has near perfect measurements. On Goldenears it's like "Excellent" all across the board. Just hopefully it has a line out
biggrin.gif

Of course measurements don't mean much sometimes...

Sep 6, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #1,325 of 6,349
  Where did you get that code? The front page says to look at the bottom for the rebate codes, but I don't see them.

As you can see from the quote, it was posted to the deals thread by imackler. I'm not sure where he got it but it does work. The code RAZORDOG100, from the bottom of their site, works as well. RAZORDOGK712 gives you an additional $15 off.

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #1,326 of 6,349
Watching *Return of the Jedi*.  I got started by an impact, and its rumbling thereafter.  I had no idea where it came from.  I realized it was the AT-AT Walkers walking through the woods on the screen.  I've owned the entire K7xx series.  I don't remember any of them distinctly doing "that" with my music or movies.  Still enjoying my new purchase immensely.

*Edit*  Didn't audition the Annies with movies or games, strictly music although I should have.

Wait wait... Return of the Jedi on DVD or BluRay?

Devhen,
When I first tried virtual surround, I wasn't that impressed either. Some reason I tried another processing method, THEN it really worked for me, and since I played FPS games a lot it started to really make a difference.

It's kind of like when you make your second "audiophile" headphone purchase... You hear an improvement, you like it, but it wasn't the startling jump in quality from cheap buds to your first good headphones; but after you use the new 2nd headphone for a while and go back to your first "A" can, you're surprised how much you can notice where it's not as good, and soon you go back to the newer upgrade.

When I play in flat stereo now, I get frustrated after one or two matches because I lose an advantage I'd become accustomed to listen for, and pause to get it hooked back up. You've just gotta find the processing method that works well with your ears/brain.

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #1,327 of 6,349
Devhen,
When I first tried virtual surround, I wasn't that impressed either. Some reason I tried another processing method, THEN it really worked for me, and since I played FPS games a lot it started to really make a difference.

It's kind of like when you make your second "audiophile" headphone purchase... You hear an improvement, you like it, but it wasn't the startling jump in quality from cheap buds to your first good headphones; but after you use the new 2nd headphone for a while and go back to your first "A" can, you're surprised how much you can notice where it's not as good, and soon you go back to the newer upgrade.

When I play in flat stereo now, I get frustrated after one or two matches because I lose an advantage I'd become accustomed to listen for, and pause to get it hooked back up. You've just gotta find the processing method that works well with your ears/brain.

Yeah I've noticed it improves positioning a bit but the instances where positioning isn't adequate without surround sound effects are few and far between for me. I mainly play counter-strike and I'm able to pinpoint the position of noises accurately without problem. From time to time there are small issues that would be somewhat improved by using surround features but I still think its a bit overrated. Regardless of what settings I use there is always a reduction in overall sound quality-- echo, reverb, innaccurate tonality, decreased dynamics. Its extremely difficult if not completely impossible to apply such effects to stereo sound without causing those problems. In my experience, games that have really good built-in sound engines provide just as much positioning accuracy as surround effects do without the sound quality degradation. It differs from game to game though.

Sep 6, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #1,328 of 6,349
It does. I felt the way you do, minor upgrade with minor but noticeably annoying side effects, when I first tried Silent Cinema (which IMO is Dolby Headphone's close brother, I'm using a DH unit now). I didn't use it for a while, but then I got (of all things) a Creative Recon3D USB (because it has Mac drivers), and THX TruStudio Pro works much better for me, better sense of depth and less affected echo and timbre side effects (improved even more with good amping, I got a tube amp). I got the DSS and sold the Recon3D because I needed the money at that moment, but I'm about to buy back a Recon3D because I miss it.

Not every game takes advantage of it, but just like you noted that "really good built-in sound engines" can improve on older, separate sound processing/surround effects, so too do I believe processing can vary and a good one matching your preferences can succeed to do the difficult and generally do a good job.

Counter-strike, some of the CoD games, Halo series, Killzone series, Bioshock, and many others have great sound, hopefully with the majority of games having access to better audio resources (and the boom in headphone usage) in the coming game generation, we'll see more high-quality audio examples across the board.

Sep 6, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #1,330 of 6,349
Anyone else heard and done extensive listening to the K712 Pro?

Looking for more analysis as I find them just about the perfect headphone within my budget.

Sep 6, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #1,331 of 6,349
Those who own the 712, in what genres would you say it excels/fails?

Sep 6, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #1,332 of 6,349
Those who own the 712, in what genres would you say it excels/fails?

I like it for jazz, classical, acoustic, and just about anything that is recorded well.

It does is extremely revealing and genres like fast-paced rock and metal are a little overwhelming for my ears with the K712 Pro.  That is the case with any other headphone for me.

I cannot think of anything I have heard where it completely fails.  It is so revealing that if your are used to a particular piece of music with some mediocre gear the K712 Pro is going to make it sound as it is...poorly recorded ans possible colored.

Read my review for extensive listening tests:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/akg-k712-pro/reviews/9482

Sep 6, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #1,333 of 6,349
  If one were looking to diversify, it seems that the K712 would be an even better compliment than the Annie to the HD600, right? 

The K712 would be further away/more different in sound from the HD600 than the Anniversary is to the HD600.

Sep 7, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #1,334 of 6,349
First impressions, straight out of the box (with the coiled cable):

The sound signature is classic AKG - 'flat', unspectacular, the music "there" rather than "here".
Very detailed and revealing (@NA Blur two posts above).

Listening as I write this to provide more perceptions.

I don't hear as big a difference between them and the K702 as I anticipated,
but already somehow I'm 99.99% certain these K712's are the better headphones.
Keepers. 

Seem to have the same tremendous spaciousness; a hallmark of the K7xx series.
A bit less openness in the midrange, but that could well be a break-in issue.

Slightly less "edge", a welcome difference.

Very, very nice.  Indeed.

BTW, my C5 was clearly overmatched.
The O2 appears to do fine with them.

Later tonight I'll give them a listen on the AC powered amps
to get a better sense of what they're about.

Sep 7, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #1,335 of 6,349
This will sound random, but the color scheme reminds me of TRON. Now this headphone is going to be sitting in the back of my head.

Not just because of that! I've been following it for a bit now for super serious audiophile reasons, I promise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back