The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Aug 29, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #1,246 of 6,349
Quote:
It all sounds like hyperbole and expectation bias. People dont compare directly with unbalanced. They get their headphones balanced and because they're expecting improvements, thats what they hear. I only trust those who compare balanced and single ended DIRECTLY.

I have heard plenty of people who didn't hear a difference. If it's that subtle (and I have no doubt improvements would be slight), not worth it to me.

Well I did an A/B comparison of the HD650 on both the Mjolnir and the E09K... both fed from Gungnir, and there was definitely a significant difference. One might argue that it is the difference in amp quality... but being fully balanced is one of the quality things about Mjolnir (and other balanced setups) so the argument that Mjolnir is a better amp includes the fact that it is balanced.

Aug 29, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #1,248 of 6,349
Quote:
I think MLE is upset here, not about people making statements corroborating that balanced is better, but the unfortunately oft-used generalization that ALL balanced configurations are MUCH better than ALL single-ended options.

Of course, this generalization is far from the truth. Some single-ended amps may be better than even some fully-balanced ones. I, too, would prefer only direct comparisons in a controlled manner to validate any supposed claims of a balanced setup having definitive improvements.

There are theoretical benefits to balancing, but also pitfalls of equal weight.

Fair enough, I have very limited knowledge in this regard to comment, but I just wanted to share that in my experience in comparing them... my ears definitely noted a difference between the two setups that I have at my disposal.

However, I'd be interested in understanding what you guys would describe as a direct comparison in a controlled manner.

Aug 29, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #1,253 of 6,349
Curious, this is about the limit for brightness I can withstand from a headphone.  How does the HD800 compare?  If it's any brighter, it is definitely out of the question for me.  I'm driving the K712's from a SS setup.

Aug 29, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #1,255 of 6,349
Quote:
Curious, this is about the limit for brightness I can withstand from a headphone.  How does the HD800 compare?  If it's any brighter, it is definitely out of the question for me.  I'm driving the K712's from a SS setup.

HD800 is definitely brighter. 

Aug 29, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #1,256 of 6,349
I ended up purchasing a pair of K712 Pro because the midrange and bass body were what I want in an open headphone and the design changes made them easier to listen to for hours.

Found a few things to listen to:

Chris Jones'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-h6MoF7HLA

This is really nice too:

Benni Chawes'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my1md-2TJzk

Aug 29, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #1,257 of 6,349
I'm not upset. I'm just saying I don't believe in the head-fi hyperbole. I'm happy with SE, and I'm staying SE.

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #1,258 of 6,349
Quote:
I wanna try the K712 Pro now. The Annie is my absolute fave balanced headphone, so if the K712 Pro improves on it... it may be worthwhile. Though I sure as hell wouldn't pay over $400 for it.

I find the MA900 to be closer to the HD650 than the Annie due to the sub bass lacking, mid bass being full and fun, rich mids, smooth treble. Very much like the HD650, though with MUCH more open soundstage, and better comfort.

The sony MA900 definitely sit in a category below the mid-fi HD650, K701, DT880, etc., IMO

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #1,259 of 6,349
I said that.

I said it was a poor man's Annie, but with better comfort.

I have stated various times that the K70x is a more detailed/refined can.

But so is the HD800, and I'd still prefer the sound signature of the MA900, so it'd be the can I'd reach for more. Hell, the X1 is better, and yet 90% of the time, I still reach for the MA900.

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #1,260 of 6,349
Wouldn't the MA900 be more like a poor man's HD650, in signature?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back