The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Jan 18, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #6,091 of 6,345
Just picked the K712 up today, very interesting headphones. I am pleasantly surprised, because I had them years ago when they first came out but I don't remember them sounding quite as detailed as this pair. I will say the upper midrange is weird coming from my love of Sennheiser HD 600 and 58X headphones. However, they respond so incredibly well to EQ, I can actually make them sound like a Sennheiser with wider soundstage and tighter bass. They are also overall more resolving and tighter than the Sennheisers to my ears.

By the way, have any of you who purchased K712 from Amazon notice any paint rubbed off on the lettering? Specifically the K712 logo on the side of the driver and the R and L letters. Mine seem to have rubbed off a bit, it's a stupid minor annoyance but I may return and replace with Amazon, especially considering they are supposed to be new condition.

Jan 18, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #6,092 of 6,345
Just picked the K712 up today, very interesting headphones. I am pleasantly surprised, because I had them years ago when they first came out but I don't remember them sounding quite as detailed as this pair. I will say the upper midrange is weird coming from my love of Sennheiser HD 600 and 58X headphones. However, they respond so incredibly well to EQ, I can actually make them sound like a Sennheiser with wider soundstage and tighter bass. They are also overall more resolving and tighter than the Sennheisers to my ears.

By the way, have any of you who purchased K712 from Amazon notice any paint rubbed off on the lettering? Specifically the K712 logo on the side of the driver and the R and L letters. Mine seem to have rubbed off a bit, it's a stupid minor annoyance but I may return and replace with Amazon, especially considering they are supposed to be new condition.

Upper mid sounding weird makes sense coming from HD600, which is a mid-forward HP.

One thing I've learned is that once you get used to the sound signature of any HP, everything else sounds wonky.
Nowadays, I try not to get too used to any particular headphone, or when I do, I recondition myself using my definition of 'reference' set of HP (currently Ollo S4X) or speaker before trying on a new set of HPs.
That is why 'auditioning' or few hours at a store really doesn't do much for me, albeit it still beats watching/reading reviews.

I think it's very important to have a good 'reference' when you test new HPs.

With that being said, I think K712 is an absolute steal with great comfort and killer soundstage.

I purchased mine from Thomann and have no issues with paint rubbing off on the lettering.
I would return them and purchase from Thomann. They're a lot cheaper at $228 vs $419.

Jan 26, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #6,093 of 6,345
I'm looking for a new headphone mainly for listening to hiphop and gaming. I'll be using a schiit heresy and apple dongle until I can get a modi

Are these good headphones to consider? I purchased the HD 560s but I had to send them back due to lose drivers after getting 2 replacements. I have a budget of £200... Can anyone provide some advice please?

Feb 1, 2021 at 6:24 AM Post #6,094 of 6,345
Just picked up a pair of these after trying them several years ago. What a beastie for gaming!!! I also ordered one of these as I can't use the Vmoda Boom Mic:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08JTFQ3GW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I first tried these headphones against the Fidelio X2, Beyer DT990 and Sennheiser HD650 several years ago. I liked the AKG the least back then. My taste in headphones has refined a lot in that time, so I've no idea what I was thinking back then. These are wonderful for the price. Really nice with music and incredible for gaming.

My only criticism, they don't have enough tension on the headband, so they end up touching the tops of my ears. I did a quick DIY fix with some 3m VHB tape. I just put some tape where I wanted the headband to stop. Worked like a charm.

AKG before.jpgAKG after.jpg

Feb 1, 2021 at 8:55 PM Post #6,095 of 6,345
Oh wow! First time popping into this thread, but these were the first headphones I ever got. I have these on my head almost all day. They're tough and comfy, I probably have them on more than I do my clears at this point.

Sharing this as I found it really useful, apologies if this has been mentioned a bunch already: This 3d printed modmic mount just clips on to where the wire is inserted. Allows me to have a convenient microphone without sticking something to the actual headphone, which has worked excellently for my setup.

Attachments

• 20201020_185308.jpg
    20201020_185308.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20201021_005245.jpg
    20201021_005245.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Feb 3, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #6,096 of 6,345
I bought a Chord Mojo yesterday, now I'm looking for the right headphone to match.

I was told that with the K712 Pro it is a fantastic match and so I am very interested.

Searching the forum I also saw posts from users who said that Mojo is not powerful enough for the K712 Pro ...

But what problems should it have with a headphone with 62 Ohms impedance and 105 dB sensitivity?

From the specs it would not seem a particularly difficult to drive headphone.

Feb 3, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #6,098 of 6,345
I bought a Chord Mojo yesterday, now I'm looking for the right headphone to match.

I was told that with the K712 Pro it is a fantastic match and so I am very interested.

Searching the forum I also saw posts from users who said that Mojo is not powerful enough for the K712 Pro ...

But what problems should it have with a headphone with 62 Ohms impedance and 105 dB sensitivity?

The Mojo has plenty of power for the K712, but as mentioned, they aren't very efficient a headphone. It's surprising how much juice they suck up.

Feb 3, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #6,099 of 6,345

Just add the Schiit Jotunheim 2 between the Mojo and K712 and you’ll definitely hear the 712 come to life

Feb 4, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #6,101 of 6,345
@Julius Decimus can I ask if you use AKG K712 Pro directly from Chord Mojo or with an amplifier?
Yes, directly.

And from an amplifier as well, i used as well (JDS Labs C5), but you don't need amp with Mojo.

I am sure you don't need amplifier for Mojo and AKG K712 Pro.

For using them directly with phone (and not with Mojo), yes, you will need amplifier.

For PC is OK, you will need to use 85% and above volume on PC however.

If more questions, ask. :smile_phones:

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #6,102 of 6,345
Yes, directly.

And from an amplifier as well, i used as well (JDS Labs C5), but you don't need amp with Mojo.

I am sure you don't need amplifier for Mojo and AKG K712 Pro.

For using them directly with phone (and not with Mojo), yes, you will need amplifier.

For PC is OK, you will need to use 85% and above volume on PC however.

If more questions, ask. :smile_phones:
Thank you very much, I have a Dragonfly Cobalt for sale, as soon as I can sell it I go to the K712 Pro.

Feb 4, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #6,103 of 6,345
Thank you very much, I have a Dragonfly Cobalt for sale, as soon as I can sell it I go to the K712 Pro.
Good. Happy for you.

The 712Pro might look not so expensive now, however they were when released. 4 years ago they were 400E, and around 450$. Not that it matters much, but they were the same as HD650, HD600 HD660S back then. Don't be worried by their price at the moment. You will like them so much that when later you are in position to buy a lot more expensive headphones, you will always go back to this one.

I stand by that with Mojo you don't need separate amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back