The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Jun 16, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #6,019 of 6,345
The Topping E30 and Magni 3+/Heresy are a good pairing for the Akg K712? Thanks!
Of course. Or the JDS Labs Atom.
I see you are from Espana, so maybe it would be better to wait for Topping L30 in couple weeks and buy it from Amazon ES or https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/

Because us in EU get hight rates of taxes on US products. I, myself, got JDS Atom, but it cost me almost twice what it does in USA.
Wait for Topping L30 and pair it with Topping E30.
Much better bang per buck on Chi-fi in EU compared to USA-fi.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 11:28 PM Post #6,021 of 6,345
Hi everyone,
I just got K702 and find them a bit bright in the 1-3khz range. I will be using them for piano music so that spike is obvious and pronounced. Is the K712 noticeably better in that region? I used Magni 3 and Vali 2 for amplification and tried both gain settings.

I use and love HD650 and HD6xx for most music, but the K702 sounds a bit cleaner in the mids which is a nice compliment. It’s interesting how that spike tames right down as higher frequencies and sibilance are not a problem.

Jul 7, 2020 at 1:32 AM Post #6,022 of 6,345
The K712 is in fact a K702 in a different colour scheme and most importantly gel/velour pads. The latter is what separates it’s tuning from the classic..and yes these pads effectively turn the very bright K702 into a much more palatable creature with far less energy in the uppermids and treble.
A word of caution though, these pads are expensive! 100€...

Jul 7, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #6,024 of 6,345
The K712 is in fact a K702 in a different colour scheme and most importantly gel/velour pads. The latter is what separates it’s tuning from the classic..and yes these pads effectively turn the very bright K702 into a much more palatable creature with far less energy in the uppermids and treble.
A word of caution though, these pads are expensive! 100€...

Although IME the K712 shrinks down the unusually large soundstage of the K702,
which I think is one of the K702's most attractive aspects.

Jul 7, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #6,025 of 6,345
^That is generally what happens when you tone down the upper frequencies of any headphone.
I personally like the warmer sound. With a K702 I need to watch what I listen to. If I feed it with anything less than a stellar recorded album, it bites my head off. The K712 doesn’t do that.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #6,026 of 6,345
I wish I had checked around more for deals on these cans. I see a couple of pairs floating around on reddit's AVexchange. Ended up going for a new pair from Sweetwater for 399.. I know it's steep but they throw in a two-year warranty and are an authorized AKG dealer. These are meant to be a "sorta end-game" for me after the LCD-X proved to be too much.. Too expensive, too heavy and uncomfortable. Sound itself is incredible, of course. I've barely used those in the last two years due to the weight and lack of comfort.

Btw I have Sonarworks if anyone wants to compare their measurements of K712, K702, or any other supported headphone.

Attachments

• k702.PNG
    k702.PNG
    41.3 KB · Views: 0
  • K712pro.PNG
    K712pro.PNG
    40.4 KB · Views: 0
Jul 7, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #6,027 of 6,345
I wish I had checked around more for deals on these cans. I see a couple of pairs floating around on reddit's AVexchange. Ended up going for a new pair from Sweetwater for 399.. I know it's steep but they throw in a two-year warranty and are an authorized AKG dealer. These are meant to be a "sorta end-game" for me after the LCD-X proved to be too much.. Too expensive, too heavy and uncomfortable. Sound itself is incredible, of course. I've barely used those in the last two years due to the weight and lack of comfort.

Btw I have Sonarworks if anyone wants to compare their measurements of K712, K702, or any other supported headphone.
I tried Sonarworks stuff for a while, but found out about APO Eq and Oratory1990 recommendations/measurements which sounds better to me.
P.S. there was even better deals for US market.

Adorama 4th of July sale has these for $249 right now, bought a pair since I've been wanting to and this price seems good,
https://www.adorama.com/akk712pro.h...B-E14D-46F6-8664-4A111C1C7E0D&utm_source=slth

Jul 7, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #6,028 of 6,345
I didn't realize the 712s were on sale when I bought the 702s. I bought the 702 for the 'air' and sound stage, but the exaggerated sound stage makes the imaging seem diffuse. I'd buy the 712 at the sale price but I don't think I want to spend over $300 for them. I'll probably just return the 702. The clarity and detail is amazing but don't make up for the treble and lack of focus.

Jul 7, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #6,029 of 6,345
re: the Adorama deal

That's an exceptional value. Barely costs more than the average pre-owned. Kinda makes me want to return this pair and hold out for a better deal, lol. But it seems like they were trying to clear their stock and aren't carrying the k712 anymore. I picked up one of the last pairs Sweetwater had for now, as well. Maybe something new is coming, or just a temporary shortage due to covid.

Jul 7, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #6,030 of 6,345
I was able to briefly try a pair of K712's with the iDSD Micro Black Label this morning, and in my opinion it was an excellent pairing. Tracks that normally can sting if too bright or more analytical equipment is used sounded faultless. I wasn't able to find any of my usual test tracks that didn't sound musically fantastic while still holding some of that AKG signature. I would bet if someone else here could test the combo they may say it has a "veil" similar to the HD600/650's, but I thought sounded pretty great.

In my specific situation, I tested from a MacBook-->Schiit Fulla 2 DAC only (to tone down the "veil")-->iDSD Micro Black Label (amp only)-->K712. I really enjoyed the combination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back