The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Feb 9, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #4,936 of 6,345
  I only tried it once, and if I remember correctly it does not have the elastic system, it is one of those clicky adjustment systems. But I might be wrong.

Yep, no auto headband on K812

Feb 10, 2017 at 3:15 AM Post #4,938 of 6,345

I see that you bought K812. Some quick impressions (K812 vs HD 800 and K712)? I've heard that K812 has a big amount of distortion.

With which music had you heard a big amount of distortion? And with level of loudness?

In own K712, K812, K872 and can't hear any distortion.

Feb 10, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #4,940 of 6,345

I see that you bought K812. Some quick impressions (K812 vs HD 800 and K712)? I've heard that K812 has a big amount of distortion.

I have very little time with K812. I've got them yesterday and it was a very busy day, so take these as very first impressions.
K812 is very precise across the board, extremely good in terms of separation and imaging. The sound is big, bigger than K712 and similar to HD800. Despite having a big sound the K812 (unlike the HD800) sounds very inmediate, as if you're standing right next to the violinist or very close to the singer/microphone. HD800 (and K712 to a lesser extent) on the other hand put you some rows back in the audience. For that reason the K812 is more professional sounding and less audiophile to my ears. In my very short time with K812 I've heard flaws on recordings I've never heard before at normal listening levels. I had to pick HD800 and DT880 then crank the volume to check the flaw was there. K812 driver seems to be really fast allowing to hear echoes and those fine details with ease, better than K712.
K812 has just a tad more bass/warmth than HD800 but less than K712.
Treble on K812 is HD800-ish, extended and leaning to overdetailed but slightly less emphasized. While HD800 can be labeled as steely, K812 is more along the lines of being tizzy. Not a problem at all in my short test. I've found it easier on the ears than HD800's treble by a small margin. Both headphones need quality recordings to shine. K712's treble is different, it's slightly sharper in a Tesla Beyer fashion and not as extended so it gives a more forgiving and less airy presentation.
K812 can be labelled as boring or not best for rock and that sort of more agressive music, it's a tad too flat and soft sounding. HD800 is more energetic but too light in the bass, so not a great pick either. K712 is quite good as an all rounder and works relatively well with rock recordings in my experience. Late Tesla T1.1 is also very good as an all rounder, while being more resolving than K712.
Based on what I've heard so far, my late Tesla T1.1 is closer of being an upgraded K712. Headphones like K812 and HD800 are more different than similar (to K712).

Feb 11, 2017 at 4:12 AM Post #4,942 of 6,345
@Me x3 

Love to read your listen-experiences. :)
Cause u put the sound experiences in the right way for me.
I hope that u can write some more of that about 712 versus 812 next time ...

Does the 812 bring some treble back? As i missed the airy sound from the K702 i used to take your equalization, but for me it is a compromise. I don't want to make compromises, there is some bad background thoughts about it. But maybe a better DAC, i am on schiit fulla 2, could help for more clarity...

Feb 12, 2017 at 6:03 AM Post #4,944 of 6,345
same here. have about 5 hours, so far, very positive.

quick question, anybody know if there's a different version/color? i remember seeing it some time back. the headband, not the leather, was like brown color.

Feb 14, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #4,945 of 6,345
I am looking for a good open gaming headset. I will use it 60% for gaming, 40% for mostly electronic music, r&B and Jazz, gaming taking priority.

I got a pair of K702 for 159 EUR. Soundstage is great, but they lack just a little warmth and bass. Not much, just a little. If bass is empahsized too much it overpowers everything else while gaming. 

I could get a pair of gel earpads for ~49 EUR.

Or I could send them back and get the K712 Pro for 249 EUR.

Is their much difference between a AKG702 + Gel Erpads vs K712 Pro?

Feb 14, 2017 at 3:17 AM Post #4,946 of 6,345

@ColinMacLaren,

I find this difficult, because I love the clarity with the K702 very much - especially since he sounds much more agile and lively. At the same time, the 702 is sometimes a little too harsh, and it lacks some greatness in the sound.
K712 is unfortunately not so clear, but more body and there is something more in the music inside.
If you are mastering, the K702 seems more appropriate - if you want to lean back and hang for hours - gaming - then perhaps the K712 is more pleasant.
I personally hate the exaggerated bass representation of the K712, since I do not need that. I still think it's a bit like the K702, and it's a self-assured deepbass that sometimes impresses me a lot.
It gives me the essential openness and ease to clearly distinguish the instruments. The K712 will never dissipate.
The difference is especially clear when you switch between K702 and K712 again and again. If you do not, you can probably live with the K712. I do it exactly. If I hear with the K712, then everything is more boring and withdrawn - but it goes.
As soon as I see the K702, I notice what all is missing, at the same time I notice that the body of the K712 is missing ... no nice game.
I sometimes change the pads, because I hope to find the right version. Clearly one must say that this does not work. AKG knows quite well why they have done so. The K702 and the K712 are intrinsic systems that can not be easily interchanged. Then the game becomes even more opaque.
I think you should be looking for a more suitable DAC / Amp chain. This makes it easier to control these headphones.

Conclusion: with the K712, most of the music sounds quite good, with the K702 you hear clearly more problems some music makes at the bad mix.
The solution could probably also be to grab the K812, which seems to do some things quite well. But even there, there are sometimes problems, since it comes too soft. Since one lacks under some circumstances even the "scratch" in the music. I see the K712 as an evolution of the K702, but not as a final solution. He is just on the way. Perhaps the K702 does something extremely good, which makes him so corruptible, but perhaps he does it too well, so that other aspects are missing too much. Music is not always light and airy and has above all also BODY, and BODY can not do the 702. For this the 702 seperates incomparably.
I personally prefer the K712, because now BODY is more important to me.
The K702 annoying but also with the time, since the K712 sounds more focused than the K702. One is more in the music with the K712. The K702 lets you see the whole thing from the outside - that annoys me now however something - because simply no real mood may arise. This can make the K712 simply better. So I would say: buy the K712 and listen to the K702 no more. Then you have perhaps a chance:wink:

Hope my really f...english don't makes u lough and u can understand what i like to explain - have fun.

Feb 15, 2017 at 2:01 AM Post #4,947 of 6,345
So sadly, my K712 Pro died yesterday.  I was gaming with them - they were perfectly fine, and then I set them down to eat dinner.  When I came back, my right ear cup was no longer producing any sound. :frowning2:  I tried swapping the cable just to make sure it wasn't a cable issue, and it wasn't.

Has this happened to anyone else? I contacted AKG support and they said the repair could be $250!

Feb 15, 2017 at 2:12 AM Post #4,948 of 6,345
  So sadly, my K712 Pro died yesterday.  I was gaming with them - they were perfectly fine, and then I set them down to eat dinner.  When I came back, my right ear cup was no longer producing any sound. :frowning2:  I tried swapping the cable just to make sure it wasn't a cable issue, and it wasn't.

Has this happened to anyone else? I contacted AKG support and they said the repair could be $250!

Best chances are you need to re-solder the driver cables to the headband conductor which carries the signal from the connector on your left earcup.

Check this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LbsQRaQD6A#t=4m20s

Feb 15, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #4,949 of 6,345
Check the cables in the headphones, you can open the outer sleeve very easily. If everything is ok, then the very very thin cable of the coil seems to be broken or interrupted. Then it becomes very difficult. Honestly, I find the AKG not solved well - this is a real weakness. The cable of the coil could be protected much better.
I hope times that it is only one of the connection cables. Which site has failed?

Feb 15, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #4,950 of 6,345

Users who are viewing this thread

Back