The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Dec 3, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #4,636 of 6,345

On a new side note: HD800S has higher distortion in the bass than HD800, and most people prefer it anyway ; )

At the Vienna HiFi exhibition  'Klangbilder' I compered HD800S and HD800.
For me I liked HD800 more than the S version. HD800 sounds 'fresher'; acoustic guitar strings more natural, metallic.

If I wont to buy one I would like the black case of HD800S, but inside the drivers of HD800.
The Sennheiser staff tells me, this are an possible variant. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 3, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #4,637 of 6,345

At the Vienna HiFi exhibition  'Klangbilder' I compered HD800S and HD800.
For me I liked HD800 more than the S version. HD800 sounds 'fresher'; acoustic guitar strings more natural, metallic.

If I wont to buy one I would like the black case of HD800S, but inside the drivers of HD800.
The Sennheiser staff tells me, this are an possible variant. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nice to know! At some point in time I've considered the HD800S, but kept the HD800 mainly because I thought that would be the case.
HD800 has a relatively extreme tunning, I wouldn't pick it if I were forced to pick only one headphone, but I really enjoy its 'fresh' and technically marvelous presentation, and having more musical headphones around HD800 has won me over.

Can't deny they look great in black!

Dec 3, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #4,638 of 6,345
Got my K712 yesterday, thoughts so far:

- cheap build quality, hope it will proof to be more durable than the looks- and feel  suggests

- very comfy

- SQ really surprised me..it does have the same feel as my K501, but improved on details and bass!, which is very balanced and for me, no Fidelio X2 rumbles in symphonies though but more textured, which I prefer..

- the soundstage is really really good for small jazz esembles or chamber music. Also big symphonies do very very well. Imaging is way better than the HD650 and more impressive than the HD600, because of the more realistic soundstage

- sometimes there is a small hint of a lower treble peak which most of the time doesn't bother me, and even less so on my V200 amp, and is more of a very subtle sound effect which often works great. again very subtle..

- tonality is wonderful, reminiscent of my HD600..instruments sound very natural, including piano!

Like the HD600, I would not describe this headphone as neutral..it has a very slight warmish glow which makes it very natural sounding. Also the mids are less prominent then on the HD600 which is also more natural, although it has charms of its own.

So far very very happy with the K712. exactly what I was looking for and where the X2 failed me, for the AKG is more balanced all through the sound spectrum andd has cleaner treble

Dec 3, 2016 at 6:08 AM Post #4,639 of 6,345
  Got my K712 yesterday, thoughts so far:

- cheap build quality, hope it will proof to be more durable than the looks- and feel  suggests

If you treat them with care they should last a decade or more. It's not as solid as other headphones but it's light in exchange.

Dec 3, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #4,640 of 6,345
an new CD arrived Fiona Boyes: Professin' The Blues (HDCD) - first hearing with K712 - superb sound!

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/fiona-boyes-professin-the-blues/hnum/4481820

Dec 3, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #4,641 of 6,345
  If you treat them with care they should last a decade or more. It's not as solid as other headphones but it's light in exchange.

I would suggest an even longer lifespan since all the parts are user replaceable.

I like the plastic construction since there are no rubs or other blemishes that can occur with normal handling ... unlike the $1,000+ headphones I've owned in the past with their polished metal and wood designs.

Dec 5, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #4,643 of 6,345
today the right channel of my k712pro went kaput :'(    I'm so very pissed,  they were great cans.   Does anybody know how can I fix it or something?   I wouldn't mind buying them again but I want the ones with the old revision made in Austria  (like mine) and not the newer artificial sounding ones.   

Dec 5, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #4,645 of 6,345
  today the right channel of my k712pro went kaput :'(    I'm so very pissed,  they were great cans.   Does anybody know how can I fix it or something?   I wouldn't mind buying them again but I want the ones with the old revision made in Austria  (like mine) and not the newer artificial sounding ones.   

I've heard both, Austrian and Slovakian pair and it sounds exactly the same in direct comparison. Both were burned in.

Dec 5, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #4,646 of 6,345

I've read somewhere about a problem with a solder in the signal path towards the right channel. It worth checking. It should be easy to solve.

Check minute 4.30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LbsQRaQD6A

Dec 7, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #4,647 of 6,345
Here are my impressions

K712 is a very good for the money. It is not easy to drive and need a powerful amp to shine. I used it with Burson Conductor and I liked it better than LCD2 w/f. It could not be driven well with Fiio E17K or X3 not with Chord Mojo.

Compared to K812, K812 I would say 5-10% better overall but 3x times money. K812 has better base, mids, clarity and highs+ wider sound stage

I loved K712. Despite people saying K712 has less base I would say tight base and similar to HD800. K812 has more body to base.

Dec 8, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #4,648 of 6,345
Here are my impressions

K712 is a very good for the money. It is not easy to drive and need a powerful amp to shine. I used it with Burson Conductor and I liked it better than LCD2 w/f. It could not be driven well with Fiio E17K or X3 not with Chord Mojo.

Compared to K812, K812 I would say 5-10% better overall but 3x times money. K812 has better base, mids, clarity and highs+ wider sound stage

I loved K712. Despite people saying K712 has less base I would say tight base and similar to HD800. K812 has more body to base.
so you wanna say chord mojo wont be good for them?

Dec 8, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #4,649 of 6,345
  Here are my impressions

I fully agree with your comments on how good the 712 is, but I don't agree about the Mojo not being a good match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back