The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Oct 13, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #3,406 of 6,345
  That is true. It seems the amount of use can make a difference. I didn't mod either pair though. I always feel like I mess up the sound when trying to mod a headphone in some way or another so I simply don't bother personally, I'll just stick with cables and tube rolling to fine-tune my sound. I've been quite lucky in terms of tube/amp synergy with my headphones thankfully. And it also makes me wonder if there is some inherent variation with the K7xx family in terms of sound. I liked the soundstage better on the K712 pads. The biggest improvement I got in terms of soundstage was actually putting socket savers in my Lyr 2, the soundstage simply became massive but I'm not sure I like the overall effect of the socket savers to the sound. I did notice that when I heard some Hifiman orhtos, I actually found them somewhat similar to AKGs. I may pick up a pair eventually.Though I am happy with the K712 and HD 600 combo for now. I'll probably end up getting another amp before getting another headphone. I may pick up the Valhalla 2 as it sounds very different my Lyr 2.

I only did reversible mods, and went back and forth with the bass port mod a lot (wore out two screw holes on the Q701s, and had to re-solder the internal wires on one side; still works
biggrin.gif
 ).  I like fiddling, but I see no reason not to try reversible mods.  Depends on one's comfort level performing such things, of course.  Acoustic mods are fun and can have an immediate impact, for better or worse.

I'd be surprised if socket savers have a positive effect on the sound.  I use the nice ones from Tubemonger, and they're just neutral pass-throughs.  Now, tube burn-in is definitely real.  It's fun to listen to them change, esp. in the first 100 hours or so.  I'd love to try the Valhalla 2, but I think I'd need to have more dynamic cans for which it's suited first.  Not anywhere near that rabbit hole yet.

The bass port-modded Q701s with the K712 pads could be a basshead's dream 
wink.gif
  I say "could be," as I'm no basshead.  Still, back to the stock pads.  They're more revealing on my rig.

Oct 13, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #3,407 of 6,345

I only did reversible mods, and went back and forth with the bass port mod a lot (wore out two screw holes on the Q701s, and had to re-solder the internal wires on one side; still works
biggrin.gif
 ).  I like fiddling, but I see no reason not to try reversible mods.  Depends on one's comfort level performing such things, of course.  Acoustic mods are fun and can have an immediate impact, for better or worse.

I'd be surprised if socket savers have a positive effect on the sound.  I use the nice ones from Tubemonger, and they're just neutral pass-throughs.  Now, tube burn-in is definitely real.  It's fun to listen to them change, esp. in the first 100 hours or so.  I'd love to try the Valhalla 2, but I think I'd need to have more dynamic cans for which it's suited first.  Not anywhere near that rabbit hole yet.

The bass port-modded Q701s with the K712 pads could be a basshead's dream 
wink.gif
  I say "could be," as I'm no basshead.  Still, back to the stock pads.  They're more revealing on my rig.

I've tinkered with reversible mods too. I only tried some inner foam on the K712, I'm afraid of damaging the grills to do the pass port mods. Though I have done extensive tinkering with my Fostex T50RP. 

I don't think it's positive overall. I use the same socket savers. I don't feel that way about the tubemonger socket savers as they change the soundstage and alter the timbre and tone of the sound a very noticeable degree, some changes I like, other changes, not so much. True, I have both high ohm headphones and some demanding lower ohm headphones so it will work out well. I think the Valhalla 2 will be a better match for my HD 600, K612, and my Beyers. I do not like the Lyr 2 on my DT 150s. It won't be till next year till get the amp. I would go SS as a second amp but honestly I'm not a huge fan of SS amps, they sound a bit flat and 2D compared to comparable tube amps to my ears.

That is true. I can see that happening. I felt my K612 with K712 pads became almost a bass-head can. I'm not a basshead either, I like some emphasis on bass but it has to be good quality bass.

Oct 17, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #3,409 of 6,345
Hi guys, I just joined the club by placing an order on K712. It will be official when I receive it next week.

Does anybody use NuForce Icon HDP to drive it? How is it? That's the only amp I have. I do have a 10 year old low end Onkyo receiver also.

Oct 17, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #3,410 of 6,345
My pair arrived from Amazon today. After using a bass heavy IEM I have been reviewing for the past week I was worried I was going be unhappy with the sound. Sitting here typing this listening through only my LG G3 phone as a source even with even just this lower end source I have a big grin on my face. I really do like the AKG sound and the K712 is their best flavour of it to my ears.

Oct 17, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #3,411 of 6,345
If anyone is looking to buy a pair, I've got one for sale.  Basically like new, with around 100 hours on them.

www.head-fi.org/t/738435/fs-akg-k712s-like-new

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #3,412 of 6,345
My pair arrived from Amazon today. After using a bass heavy IEM I have been reviewing for the past week I was worried I was going be unhappy with the sound. Sitting here typing this listening through only my LG G3 phone as a source even with even just this lower end source I have a big grin on my face. I really do like the AKG sound and the K712 is their best flavour of it to my ears.

I find they shine more at higher volumes. They just keep getting better and better. :)

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #3,413 of 6,345
Ears are ringing after using the K712 for about an hour so I definitely grew used to gentler treble while reviewing the RHA T10i. Gonna have to baby my ears for a few days LOL.

Oct 17, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #3,415 of 6,345
Actually I listen at lower volumes generally. In this case inwas listening at about 25% volume on my dell venue 8 pro tablet.

Oct 17, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #3,416 of 6,345
Actually I listen at lower volumes generally. In this case inwas listening at about 25% volume on my dell venue 8 pro tablet.

Sounds like something about it's treble may bother you or it could be synergy or lack of power. They have been some of the pickiest headphones I've had. It only starts bothers me when I put them around 11-12 o' clock on the Lyr 2(with 100% volume on the dac) depending on the song and tubes.

Oct 18, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #3,417 of 6,345
I think it's partly just because the T10i has really mild treble so I was just used to that after a week of using them while I reviewed them. I actually noticed ear fatigue when usimng my DJE1500 and Vivo X800 which uses a variant of the GR07 driver. But I do get ear ringing when I listen to treble oriented headphones so I do think I am very susceptible to it even though I enjoy the sound while I am listening.

I will be playing around with different DAPs as well as 3 different amps over the next week though so will see if I can get a good synergistic match during that time. AS I speak I am now using my Little Dot Dac 1 going to an Ocean Bravo tube amp. Later I will try my Audioengine D1 and see how it does. Next week I have a Cayin C5 I will be reviewing and will test it with the K712. So will have lots of variations.

Oct 18, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #3,418 of 6,345
  I think it's partly just because the T10i has really mild treble so I was just used to that after a week of using them while I reviewed them. I actually noticed ear fatigue when usimng my DJE1500 and Vivo X800 which uses a variant of the GR07 driver. But I do get ear ringing when I listen to treble oriented headphones so I do think I am very susceptible to it even though I enjoy the sound while I am listening.

I will be playing around with different DAPs as well as 3 different amps over the next week though so will see if I can get a good synergistic match during that time. AS I speak I am now using my Little Dot Dac 1 going to an Ocean Bravo tube amp. Later I will try my Audioengine D1 and see how it does. Next week I have a Cayin C5 I will be reviewing and will test it with the K712. So will have lots of variations.

That makes sense. I think you will find it change a good amount from system to system. I found my ears vary, sometimes they are very sensitive other times not. I believe I have inflammation issues at times, when my ears are acting up I avoid the K712 or anything with treble energy and I put on the HD 600. The only problem with the HD 600 is I find it overly stuffy sounding long-term which bothers my ears in a different way. I really like it's sound signature but the stuffiness bothers me a little, it reminds me of some closed headphones in stuffiness. The DT 150 despite being closed never sounded stuffy to my ears, I do find it a bit boring compared to the K712 and HD 600 though.

Oct 18, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #3,419 of 6,345
Ya, I too go through periods where I am more susceptible to fatigue than others. I will be using the T10i for those times. I also have a pair of Fidelio L2 I may decide to keep for an over ear headphone alternative. I have decide on a few headphones to sell though as I just have to much darn gear LOL.

Oct 18, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #3,420 of 6,345
  Ya, I too go through periods where I am more susceptible to fatigue than others. I will be using the T10i for those times. I also have a pair of Fidelio L2 I may decide to keep for an over ear headphone alternative. I have decide on a few headphones to sell though as I just have to much darn gear LOL.

I know that all too well. I need to sell some gear myself. I want to keep it to 3 good headphones and maybe just one desktop amp and one portable amp. Portable headphones haven't worked out well for me either in sound or comfort, so I end up preferring taking my HD 600 out due to better sound and a snug fit without looking too goofy in public. My K612s are likely going to be sold soon and I do plan on getting rid of my Fostex T50RP. Maybe even the DT 150. I am aiming for the Sony MDR-Z7. Hopefully it's the closed-can I'm looking for. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back