The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Oct 18, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #3,421 of 6,345
LOL the Z7 has been calling my name too :). Part of why I want to sell some gear as well. Maybe I will win the lottery LOL.

Oct 18, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #3,422 of 6,345
  LOL the Z7 has been calling my name too :). Part of why I want to sell some gear as well. Maybe I will win the lottery LOL.

I hope I get the chance to hear it sometime. But likely I'll just bite the bullet before hearing it. A friend of mine just bought the MDR-1A, I'm curious if they sound anything like the Z7 as both have aluminum coated drivers. I have faith Sony can pull off a really good closed-back.

Oct 18, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #3,423 of 6,345
Ears are ringing after using the K712 for about an hour so I definitely grew used to gentler treble while reviewing the RHA T10i. Gonna have to baby my ears for a few days LOL.

Lol, listening to them right now. People told me that I would hear everything around me but for some reason my music just over powers everything else around me :cool:

Oct 18, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #3,424 of 6,345
Well I have decided to let my pair burn in for a couple days and see if it helps calm them down a bit. They are cookin now and I will use a different HP for the rest of tonight and see how they are doing tomorrow.

Oct 18, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #3,425 of 6,345
Well I have decided to let my pair burn in for a couple days and see if it helps calm them down a bit. They are cookin now and I will use a different HP for the rest of tonight and see how they are doing tomorrow.

I think it will take much longer. Ive had them for a month and I think they just keep getting better, however could just be me enjoying them. What music do you listen to mostly?

Oct 18, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #3,426 of 6,345
Classical, jazz, older 70/80s rock ranging from psychedelic, hard rock, to softer acoustic based rock, think classic rock, Celtic, some New Age. Pretty much everything except for some modern genres like dubstep and most modern metal genres, I am also not a big fan of trance.

The good news is these will only be used at home so I can let them cook for about 16hrs a day for the next week or two to help speed up the process.

Oct 18, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #3,427 of 6,345
I hope I get the chance to hear it sometime. But likely I'll just bite the bullet before hearing it. A friend of mine just bought the MDR-1A, I'm curious if they sound anything like the Z7 as both have aluminum coated drivers. I have faith Sony can pull off a really good closed-back.
I am leery of the 1A as I have owned the 1R in the paste and was just not impressed enough to keep them. Something about a 70mm driver is just alluring though but I tried the MA900 and found it lacking this the desire to try the Z7 as it is supposed to fix most of the issues with the MA900.

Oct 18, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #3,428 of 6,345
I am leery of the 1A as I have owned the 1R in the paste and was just not impressed enough to keep them. Something about a 70mm driver is just alluring though but I tried the MA900 and found it lacking this the desire to try the Z7 as it is supposed to fix most of the issues with the MA900.

Ah I see. I sorta liked the 1R but it needed some improvements. Same here. I had the MA900, my main problem was a fuzz or grain actually which I attribute to the impedance resistor. If that fine fuzz throughout the whole sound isn't there at all, I can't see me disliking the Z7.

Oct 18, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #3,429 of 6,345
Ah I see. I sorta liked the 1R but it needed some improvements. Same here. I had the MA900, my main problem was a fuzz or grain actually which I attribute to the impedance resistor. If that fine fuzz throughout the whole sound isn't there at all, I can't see me disliking the Z7.
agreed

Oct 18, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #3,430 of 6,345

I do miss that big sound that only a 70mm driver can produce and I really like Sony's house sound as long as it's done right(sadly this is rare), many Sony's are plagued by brightness, bloated bass, and/or transparency issues, I'm quite sensitive to treble and some of the only bright headphones I like are the brighter AKGs, something about the AKG house sound is addicting. 

Oct 18, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #3,431 of 6,345
Agreed, again LOL

Oct 18, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #3,432 of 6,345
Agreed, again LOL

Yep. Although back to the subject. I decided to finally mess with the gain settings on the Lyr 2. The K712 sounds better on low gain, takes a bit of the treble edge off on similar volumes. It becomes more laid-back and relaxed, more akin to a more spacious and faster HD 600. Maybe high-gain puts a little too much power into the K712. Need to spend more time with low gain and different tubes. 

Oct 18, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #3,433 of 6,345
I will try my Audioengine D1 tomorrow as it is kind of tame in the treble area so may make a good match to the K712.

Oct 18, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #3,434 of 6,345
I will try my Audioengine D1 tomorrow as it is kind of tame in the treble area so may make a good match to the K712.

True, I think high gain makes them a little too aggressive sounding. My old amp didn't have a gain setting and it's gain was a lot more than the Lyr 2, the K712 sounded even more aggressive on the EF2A. Because 9 o clock on my EF2A is as loud as the Lyr 2(high gain) at 12 o clock. 

Oct 18, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #3,435 of 6,345
  Yep. Although back to the subject. I decided to finally mess with the gain settings on the Lyr 2. The K712 sounds better on low gain, takes a bit of the treble edge off on similar volumes. It becomes more laid-back and relaxed, more akin to a more spacious and faster HD 600. Maybe high-gain puts a little too much power into the K712. Need to spend more time with low gain and different tubes. 

That probably matches my experience with the K712s driven by the Lyr.  No low gain for me, and plenty of upper-mid/lower treble energy.  Wasn't always a bad thing.  I couldn't do more than one album without taking a break, and they did make me want to turn it up.  Do you think you could do longer sessions with them on low gain?

Still selling mine, btw 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back