The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Sep 3, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #3,301 of 6,345
I've had my k712 for a couple months & am loving the clarity and detail. Run it with a Fiio X5. Gets loud enough for me. Still, i wonder if an amp would make a significant improvement? Your thoughts please. Thank you.

Sep 3, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #3,304 of 6,345
More liquid than dry, though the Annie with older pads are even more liquid.If you want a more dry version of this, just get the Q701.

Sep 3, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #3,306 of 6,345
Dry sounding headphones can sound sterile/clinical/flat/boring in comparison to liquid headphones. Dry headphones are better at extracting detail, air, soundstage and imaging, but lack in musicality in comparison to more liquid sounding headphones which give headphones more body and fullness.

Apples to oranges, and it's up to you which you prefer.

Sep 3, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #3,307 of 6,345

I just recently own this headphone and it's in between dry and liquid IMO. Sibilant recordings will be sibilant sounding but not fatiguing while recordings with less treble will sound recessed and even "veiled". Highs on these are dependent on amplification. IMO, it's accurate in mids and highs but it's a bit more bass than neutral. I do prefer a slight boost in bass than neutral but that's a personal preference.

Sep 3, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #3,308 of 6,345
I just recently own this headphone and it's in between dry and liquid IMO. Sibilant recordings will be sibilant sounding but not fatiguing while recordings with less treble will sound recessed and even "veiled". Highs on these are dependent on amplification. IMO, it's accurate in mids and highs but it's a bit more bass than neutral. I do prefer a slight boost in bass than neutral but that's a personal preference.

I agree with this.

Sep 4, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #3,309 of 6,345
Can anyone compare to K550?

K550 isolates while K712 don't and the K550 is also easier to drive than the K712. Sound wise, the K712 are better with similar sound signature except that the K712 is warmer IMO

note: I am using the Annie which should be similar to K712

I've had my k712 for a couple months & am loving the clarity and detail. Run it with a Fiio X5. Gets loud enough for me. Still, i wonder if an amp would make a significant improvement? Your thoughts please. Thank you.

the K712 will scale better with more power 

Billson 

Sep 4, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #3,311 of 6,345
My K712’s arrive today and I’ve closed my search for the amp/DAC that I’ll be using to power them – a PS Audio GCHA!  Seems they should pair very nicely – or at least I hope :)  I’ll be hooking my work laptop up via USB to the GCHA directly for the time being mainly playing Spotify Premium.  We’ll see where it goes (or grows) from there.

I’ve never had a dedicated headphone rig – only a pair hooked up in my main rig (Grado SR80i’s + Schiit Valhalla), but didn’t use it much.  Pictures and thoughts will follow once the GCHA arrives.  This should be fun!

Sep 4, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #3,313 of 6,345
Valhalla isn't suited for current hungry headphones like the K712. I doubt it will sound bad, but it isn't ideal. valhalla is made for high impedance headphones like the HD650. I would suggest that instead.

I love the K712 AND HD650 about equally.

I could have sworn I read a lot of posts saying the Valhalla was surprisingly good with the K701 (and of course probably the K712). I know it makes no sense.

The new version 2 should be even better. I hope it's like a Vali on steroids and without the ringing.

Vali with the Q701 variations is quite impressive. About identical in sound to my favorite amp that cost $350+ (although..only with the Q701)
If I was rich i'd go out and buy the Valhalla 2 and Lyr 2 and send back the loser. My guess is that I'd prefer whatever one sounds less like the Asgard and more to how the Vali was with the Q701.

Sep 4, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #3,314 of 6,345

I could have sworn I read a lot of posts saying the Valhalla was surprisingly good with the K701 (and of course probably the K712). I know it makes no sense.

The new version 2 should be even better. I hope it's like a Vali on steroids and without the ringing.

Vali with the Q701 variations is quite impressive. About identical in sound to my favorite amp that cost $350+ (although..only with the Q701)
If I was rich i'd go out and buy the Valhalla 2 and Lyr 2 and send back the loser. My guess is that I'd prefer whatever one sounds less like the Asgard and more to how the Vali was with the Q701.

Hmm - interesting...guess I'll have to do some comparisons of the PS Audio GCHA and Schiit Valhalla as long as I'll have them both.  Maybe I should have been more patient and given the Valhalla a shot.  Oh well, the GCHA seems to be somewhat of a modern classic that should give the K712's plenty to shine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back