The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Feb 1, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #2,611 of 6,349
Would you like to just borrow mine and do a K712/K612/Q701 comparison?

Well, that could make shipping costs for a certain mutual friend cheaper if you wanted both he and I to hear it/them...

I found the UPS that's open late :D

Feb 1, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #2,612 of 6,349
Well, that could make shipping costs for a certain mutual friend cheaper if you wanted both he and I to hear it/them...

I found the UPS that's open late :D

Shhhhhh... *heads back to the inbox*

Feb 1, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #2,613 of 6,349
  Except that it is in every which way. I've owned or had extensive testing with with practically every variation of the K701 (including it's newest clone iteration) and, as much as I still love them, they are inferior in ever aspect. Sound. Comfort. Value as well.

I'm certain you feel that way when you appear to have multiple Sennheisers in your house. I don't mind Sennheiser fanboys, I really don't.

Ok then, I challenge you. 
I see you're in Pasadena. My aunt lives around there. I'll pm you and ask you to drop by and demo my K712 on a proper setup. You tell me if the HD700 doesn't sound a lot more shrill and brighter than the K712.
What does the HD700 do better than the T90 or K712 in terms of dynamics? Nothing. 
The K712 is not another iteration of the K701. The drivers are definitely different.
Have you tried the K812?
Also, in you signature, you don't even own a K712 anymore. Great comparisons there.

Edit: Pm me for a link to something that might change your mind on how "perfect" the HD700s sound compared to others in the price range.

Feb 1, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #2,614 of 6,349
Sennheiser fanboy?! Never been called that. Absolutely not here, at least. Couldn't stand the HD 600 for a while. Everyone knows how I feel about the HD 280. Currently have three in the collection, but I've owned far more AKG models at this point. I've just been able to consolidate with the K702 AE which, in my opinion, is the most attractive version. I'd actually probably call myself an AT fanboy because I love their signatures in general and still completely ignore the fact that their headbands designs are the worst. (shh, don't mention this in any of the AT threads I'm participating in)

Onto the K712, I purchased one several weeks ago and owned it during the duration I was lucky enough to demo an HD 700 for about a week. Long story short, I returned the K712 and went out to purchase my own HD 700. I probably would have kept it had I found significant differences in the signature from my K702 AE, but I didn't, so off it went. Now, I don't think the setup I was using to test was garbage by any means, but maybe there is something I missed. It was only a week, after all, but I don't think so. I'm very very familiar with that line's signature and it didn't take long for me to make a decision. Keep in mind that's not saying it sucks. Far from it. Anyone who runs into me in the threads knows I'll call out a K7xx as something to watch and own because I've gotten a fair amount of joy from them. In this case, with my current cans and what I was looking for, I just couldn't defend keeping them.

So the HD 700, I'll give you a better idea why I bought my own pair. First, know that I enjoy signatures on the slightly brighter side and I would call myself a soundstage whore. (remember, I'm an AT signature fan) Well, I find the HD 700 is far better at imaging and separation, the soundstage is more expansive, and the overall response is more flat. Yeah, I enjoy the extension of the HD 700 on both ends over the K712. The decay is also extremely quick which, to my ears, makes it sounds more accurate and can be a lot more fun to listen to with certain types of music. The comfort on a K712 is pretty good considering the evolution of it over time, but the HD 700 is just invisible on my head. Value, just like everything else, it's dependent on your preferences. I would say the K712 is fairly priced ≈$400 and the HD 700 is fairly priced ≈$650. What that does illustrate is that I enjoy both, but, in my opinion, the HD 700 is a significant step above the K712.

Now, my mind can be changed if I'm given a good argument. That being the case, challenge accepted! I'm in Pasadena, work in Long Beach, and you're in Huntington Beach. Look for that PM soon!
beerchug.gif

Feb 1, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #2,615 of 6,349
  Sennheiser fanboy?! Never been called that. Absolutely not here, at least. Couldn't stand the HD 600 for a while. Everyone knows how I feel about the HD 280. Currently have three in the collection, but I've owned far more AKG models at this point. I've just been able to consolidate with the K702 AE which, in my opinion, is the most attractive version. I'd actually probably call myself an AT fanboy because I love their signatures in general and still completely ignore the fact that their headbands designs are the worst. (shh, don't mention this in any of the AT threads I'm participating in)

Onto the K712, I purchased one several weeks ago and owned it during the duration I was lucky enough to demo an HD 700 for about a week. Long story short, I returned the K712 and went out to purchase my own HD 700. I probably would have kept it had I found significant differences in the signature from my K702 AE, but I didn't, so off it went. Now, I don't think the setup I was using to test was garbage by any means, but maybe there is something I missed. It was only a week, after all, but I don't think so. I'm very very familiar with that line's signature and it didn't take long for me to make a decision. Keep in mind that's not saying it sucks. Far from it. Anyone who runs into me in the threads knows I'll call out a K7xx as something to watch and own because I've gotten a fair amount of joy from them. In this case, with my current cans and what I was looking for, I just couldn't defend keeping them.

So the HD 700, I'll give you a better idea why I bought my own pair. First, know that I enjoy signatures on the slightly brighter side and I would call myself a soundstage whore. (remember, I'm an AT signature fan) Well, I find the HD 700 is far better at imaging and separation, the soundstage is more expansive, and the overall response is more flat. Yeah, I enjoy the extension of the HD 700 on both ends over the K712. The decay is also extremely quick which, to my ears, makes it sounds more accurate and can be a lot more fun to listen to with certain types of music. The comfort on a K712 is pretty good considering the evolution of it over time, but the HD 700 is just invisible on my head. Value, just like everything else, it's dependent on your preferences. I would say the K712 is fairly priced ≈$400 and the HD 700 is fairly priced ≈$650. What that does illustrate is that I enjoy both, but, in my opinion, the HD 700 is a significant step above the K712.

Now, my mind can be changed if I'm given a good argument. That being the case, challenge accepted! I'm in Pasadena, work in Long Beach, and you're in Huntington Beach. Look for that PM soon!
beerchug.gif

Well if you put it that way, then my Beyerdynamic T1 blows the HD700s out of the water, and fits your preference as well. Come demo it too :)
Also, the soundstage on the HD700s is significantly smaller than the K712 and HD800. Not sure where you're getting that from. 

Feb 1, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #2,616 of 6,349
Well if you put it that way, then my Beyerdynamic T1 blows the HD700s out of the water, and fits your preference as well. Come demo it too :)
Also, the soundstage on the HD700s is significantly smaller than the K712 and HD800. Not sure where you're getting that from. 

I've actually been dying to hear T1, so I'll be looking forward to that.

Feb 2, 2014 at 3:18 AM Post #2,617 of 6,349
Annies are bright? You just hear everything on Headfi... even things that are completely the opposite of what most people experience...

Just because there is a slight peak somewhere doesn't make a headphone bright (I hear a pretty noticeable peak in the Mad Dogs, and I would never say its bright). Pretty certain most of us are in agreement that the Annie is a warm headphone, with a softer, smoother treble, and intimate signature. Bright would suggest dry, and mostly treble oriented, and not particularly full bodied. The Annie neither dry, treble oriented, or even slightly lean in body. It's thick, smooth, softer, and overall full bodied. Peak here or there, sure, but overall, not at all.

I find myself asking for more bodies/warm on my Annie sometimes xD

Feb 2, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #2,619 of 6,349

beerchug.gif

From what i heard the HD700 are the better phone, the k712 sound nearly identical to the modded Q's, the k712 seem very expensive for what they are.

Feb 2, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #2,620 of 6,349
And this is why I'm going to abstain from these threads now.
Just a bunch of people commenting on a headphone that they don't currently own, or no longer own.

Because this sounds just like a modded "Q701" right?
No. For the love of whatever you worship, the K712 is different from the K702/Q701/Even the Anniversary. Most people wouldn't happen have the K712 and the Anniversary both, figuring either one would satisfy.
Or they currently own a K701/Q701, and justify that the K712 isn't worth purchasing because it's reportedly "close" to a "modded" Q701. What does that make a modded K712 then? Close to the K812 stock? Oh wait, no one talks about that model in comparison to the past flagships. Hm, I wonder if that's because of the extensive price hike. But if you actually take a look at the K812's driver, I wonder how much technicality you could find as an improvement over the driver design of the K712?
So that being said, what are you actually paying for? Comfort of mind that you own a TOTL?
I can tell you why I personally buy headphones such as the T1 after owning the T90. Or the HD800 after the HD700. Because I want to try them out. This is what it means to me. I enjoy discovering new headphones.

Too many times I find people paying a premium over the speculations of other people. If you like it, keep it. Stop thinking of upgrading unless you're not happy. Also, try it for yourself before ruling something out. And never tell someone that you find something way superior than something else, that's just an insult. This is a hobby about perception and subjectivity. Not a place to call out other people for "hearing differently".

If you asked me, that's the only difference in Head-Fi as opposed to years ago. We used to have small-knit groups where people enjoyed talking with enthusiasm about their experiences.
Now? It's all about, "which headphone is better for me". "I heard that x is too bright, should I consider y"? Or "This graph shows that obviously there's something wrong with your ears".

Too many times I hear people regurgitating the crap they hear from other people who haven't even heard the headphone themselves.
I respect your opinions if you own them or have actually taken the time to make comparisons. Anything else is just hearsay, and don't belong on this thread.

And for the rest of you out there. This is the AKG K712 Support and Appreciation Thread.
Not the "I like the HD700s more, even when I don't own the AKG K712s".
Or "Isn't the K712 just an updated K701/702/Anniversary"?
Please stay on topic.

Also, no offense to anyone who I've made an example. It's not anything I have against you.

Cheers, and happy listening.

Feb 2, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #2,621 of 6,349
And this is why I'm going to abstain from these threads now.
Just a bunch of people commenting on a headphone that they don't currently own, or no longer own.

Because this sounds just like a modded "Q701" right?
No. For the love of whatever you worship, the K712 is different from the K702/Q701/Even the Anniversary. Most people wouldn't happen have the K712 and the Anniversary both, figuring either one would satisfy.
Or they currently own a K701/Q701, and justify that the K712 isn't worth purchasing because it's reportedly "close" to a "modded" Q701. What does that make a modded K712 then? Close to the K812 stock? Oh wait, no one talks about that model in comparison to the past flagships. Hm, I wonder if that's because of the extensive price hike. But if you actually take a look at the K812's driver, I wonder how much technicality you could find as an improvement over the driver design of the K712?
So that being said, what are you actually paying for? Comfort of mind that you own a TOTL?
I can tell you why I personally buy headphones such as the T1 after owning the T90. Or the HD800 after the HD700. Because I want to try them out. This is what it means to me. I enjoy discovering new headphones.

Too many times I find people paying a premium over the speculations of other people. If you like it, keep it. Stop thinking of upgrading unless you're not happy. Also, try it for yourself before ruling something out. And never tell someone that you find something way superior than something else, that's just an insult. This is a hobby about perception and subjectivity. Not a place to call out other people for "hearing differently".

If you asked me, that's the only difference in Head-Fi as opposed to years ago. We used to have small-knit groups where people enjoyed talking with enthusiasm about their experiences.
Now? It's all about, "which headphone is better for me". "I heard that x is too bright, should I consider y"? Or "This graph shows that obviously there's something wrong with your ears".

Too many times I hear people regurgitating the crap they hear from other people who haven't even heard the headphone themselves.
I respect your opinions if you own them or have actually taken the time to make comparisons. Anything else is just hearsay, and don't belong on this thread.

And for the rest of you out there. This is the AKG K712 Support and Appreciation Thread.
Not the "I like the HD700s more, even when I don't own the AKG K712s".
Or "Isn't the K712 just an updated K701/702/Anniversary"?
Please stay on topic.

Also, no offense to anyone who I've made an example. It's not anything I have against you.

Cheers, and happy listening.

I have made a comparison with a lot of headphones, i still stand by my previous statement, apologies if i offended anyone.

One of the only reasons i would get a k712 is for comfort, otherwise double the price for something so similar just doesn't seem worth it to me.

Feb 2, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #2,622 of 6,349
Look, it's unrealistic to think appreciation threads are going to only talk about the can being called out. There are people who are going to come in asking, "well how does this compare to that?" I don't think there's anything wrong with that and it's what happened here. It happened organically and not in a way where some people came in just spouting things about an HD 700 or LCD 2.2 (which I believe were the cans in question). Obviously, it can only go so far in a forum as people should take more risks, pick things up, and let their ears be their decision makers. A question was asked. I answered with some brief statements. Others challenged. I responded with some expanded thoughts. If anyone was offended by any of it, that was not the intention. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seemed light hearted and constructive. No reason for anyone to pick up their toys and leave, especially if they are adding value which I believe many do.

Now, where I will take offense to is when there are things thrown in like, "Well I heard this or that." It's unfair to the people who are looking for feedback and it invalidates opinions on both side of the coin when comments like that pop up.

Feb 2, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #2,623 of 6,349
I just ordered a pair of AKG 712s for evaluating recordings, and I don't understand what all the issues are about here... Why even try to evaluate them for HiFi end listener use?... They were made to parse different parts of a mix to get the original recording to where you want it... If they work well for end listener use, then so much the better, but why try to get into such a lather about the balance of their sound signature?...

I'll add more later if I think they sound good when hooked up to my audio system... (m.)

Feb 2, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #2,624 of 6,349
How can someone get offended when people are giving "their" impressions between two "headphones."

Its not like we're comparing wives, here...

... or are we?!? o_O

Feb 2, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #2,625 of 6,349
Married to our cans? That's a horrible idea since I'm not faithful to any of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back