The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Jan 22, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #5,237 of 6,345
New and want to say that after buying my AKG K-140s in the early 90s I thought I would use them forever.
The short in the cable got to be too much for me after I've rebuilt my whole stereo in the past year. Got my K-712s a couple of weeks ago and I am happy with them. Acoustic music sounds good though slightly colored on the low end, there are a couple of pipe organ channels on my network player that are really impressive. Mostly a rocker and what I've tried already sounds pretty good. Early YES lps sound really good and I'm just impressed with having decent bass in headphones that doesn't sound muffled and/or muddy! Rush, ZZTop, Clapton, Aerosmith, Floyd.... with headphones that have an open sound kinda like listening with the regular speakers without shaking the foundation! I don't think I'll be cranking the amp up to 2:00 like I used to with the K140s so these might last thirty years also.

The K140s I always liked the clarity but had to turn up the bass control when using the headphones. These new 50% larger drivers are impressive with the detail and the bass and I use the direct amplification (tone controls removed from the path) on my amp. What I was surprised with is the "soundstage" or the depth and separation of the instruments and voices that I think is helped by the open backs.

Pleased with what I've got right now for the price: the K-812s look great and probably are but cost too much for me, Klipsch HP3s same deal. I'm a Klipsch fanatic that's always been fond of AKG!

Jan 23, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #5,242 of 6,345
Would you kindly provide picture if possible? That rattle has been bothering me for a long time.
IMG_1193.JPG
I hope it helps. The diaphragm returns to it's original shape immediately.

Jan 24, 2018 at 1:58 AM Post #5,243 of 6,345
If you ever feel like your K712 lacks a bit of body and smoothness you may try a simple mod:
IMG_1195.JPG
The ring was cut from a CD sleeve. It's a thin non-woven fabric. It boosts lows and mids a little bit, making high-mid peak less obvious. You certainly don't want to overdo this mod, as midrange can become boxy if the ring isn't transparent enough. You may also try a thicker/denser foam ring for similar results.
UPD: not recommended. This mod brings too much attention to lower midrange.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #5,244 of 6,345
Hello there, I'm new.

I need to get an upgrade coming from my K141 monitor and I was wondering if this K712 pro could be a nice candidate.

I like my K141 flat sound (easy to EQ) but - maybe it's because they're 35 years old - I feel like they somewhat lack a bit of basses (I can definitely feel the punch and the pressure though it's not as warm as I'd like but still precise) and since I swapped the pads with "fatter" ones I think it lost some detail and clarity, a little but still noticeable to my ears.

vQBCyi8.png

More details if you'd like to help are here in my introduction thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/a-step-up-from-my-akg-k141.870613/

---

Having said that: what do you think? Do you think it could virtually suits my needs (of course I'll test the cans if I find them!)?

Another question: I read that since when they started producing the K701/702 in China the huge soundstage has been reduced, so how does the K712 compare in this regard to their sisters?

Thanks.

Jan 30, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #5,245 of 6,345
Mine should be arriving tomorrow. Considering that these are now just a bit over 200 € I'd say that these offer rather nice value. Another option would be HD 660 S but I'm not paying 499 € for those (and the sound stage is a bit mixed bag vs. my current HD 595).

I did try them once but the circumstances were less than optimal but there weren't anything that bothered me sound signature wise. I'm cautiously optimistic how it will sound with proper source.

EDIT:
Well, now that I have listened these quite a while I keep my HD 595 as my main phones. The sibilance is somewhat a problem on K712 Pro and overall the HD 595 is just more pleasant and fuller to listen. Piano, violins sound cleaner and more natural on HD 595. Hi-hats and the likes sound more natural because HD 595 doesn't have sibilance issues. I'll keep these though, since I can't stand my Superluxe's (pure torture to wear).

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #5,246 of 6,345
Hey Anarion, give my EQ a try with this headphone. It takes the sound quality of this headphone to the next level. IMO, the K712 Pro is one of the best sounding open backs you can get for 350 US or less.

63Hz: + 0.5
80Hz: + 0.5
160Hz: - 0.5
200Hz: - 1
250Hz: - 1
315Hz: - 1
1.25kHz: + 0.5
2kHz: - 1
3.15kHz: + 2
4kHz: + 1
6.3kHz: - 0.5
8kHz: - 0.5
10kHz: + 0.5
12.5kHz: - 0.5
16kHz: + 0.5

Feb 5, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #5,248 of 6,345
Hi!

How is the K712 comfort for us with a small head? I tried a pair of AKG Q701 in a shop but they felt very big and almost fell off. It was a demo pair so they could have been used a lot. How are they compared to the K712?
The demo units are often really loose and the band is often stretched. Out of the box these clamp quite heavily (compared to old HD 595s).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back