The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Oct 27, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #3,466 of 6,345

Yeah, it certainly looks legit.  Companies are always looking for new, inexpensive places to open factories.  Maybe Slovakia is trying to attract manufacturing by offering foreign companies incentives, and that worked out for AKG.  As far as Made in China goes, as long as the company is directly involved in training the work force and directly overseeing quality control, there's no reason excellent products can't be produced there.  That said, I understand why China gets a bum rap: there are lots of cheap things that get made there.

As to why AKG no longer produces K712s in Austria, I reckon they're focused on K812s and/or whatever they're currently developing, and production space is limited (thus the outsourcing).

All iPhones and iPads are made in China.

Oct 29, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #3,468 of 6,345
What is the diffrent between AKG K712 and AKG K702?

Oct 29, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #3,469 of 6,345

Read earlier posts. Main difference is more forward and warmer sound with slight bass boost. Treble can range from recessed to very bright depending on source and amplification, but mostly it's on the brighter side like AKG K7xx/Q7xx.

Oct 29, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #3,470 of 6,345
  What is the diffrent between AKG K712 and AKG K702?

Technically it's the different pads, just to quote myself

Quote:
  Well eat my hat and chuck me in the river, I should have done this right from the start and feel really stupid.
Swapping pads between the K701’s and K712s more or less leveled the playing, meaning the K701s with the new 712 pads, for all intents and purposes, now sound like the 712s, including the bass and the well worn 701 pads on the K712s has given them all the negative attributes I noted earlier on the K701s.
I know new/different pads can make a difference, but the change was startling!
Now to go crawl in a hole somewhere and re-read all 217 pages of this thread.
redface.gif

Sound wise you can check my review here.(observations before swapping pads)
http://www.head-fi.org/products/akg-k712-pro/reviews/11476

Now there may be a difference between the drivers, but I sold the K701s shortly after so no long term comparisons to verify.

Nov 1, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #3,471 of 6,345
I am Considering Upgrading From the Q701s to K712s for Better Low End Sound:

Should I just replace my headphone amp and keep my Q701s?

After all, the low end on the Q701s is affected by the amp which is driving them. I'm currently driving them via my Audio GD NFB-15, which is a beautiful sounding amp – but something about the synergy between it and the Q701s means there is a lack of low end in the sound. When I plugged the Q701s into my Cambridge Stereo Integrated 550a to see if this would make any difference to the low end, I discovered it did. Great bass, shame about the rest of the sound.

I'm pretty happy with my Q701s – however I am looking for depth and bass.

I am therefore looking for a solution where I can obtain a sound with more low end... but I am not willing to mod the headphones.

I'm looking at alternative solutions, and some advice in regards to which might be best:

> To change the amp to one that has a better synergy to the Q701s? Synergy definitely makes a difference – paired with my Cambridge 550a amp, they create a really good low end. I've heard the iFI iCan is a good headphone amp for added bass on the Q701s. Another option might be to use the Schitt Lyr with some appropriate Tubes. If a new amp is the best way to go, could anyone advise or suggest the best amp(s) to boost the Q701s?

> Or perhaps I should get a new pair of headphones? The K712s have a great low end and may offer a better solution... However, I am concerned that because of the 3db bass increase offered by these headphones, I might loose the neutral sound that I have with the Q701s. Does the 3db bass increase make the K712 less neutral?

Nov 1, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #3,472 of 6,345
I think the K712 is pretty darn neutral the added bass is not so much as to affect that neutrality. You could Springer an amp like the Cyan C5 and use its bass button when You want more bass. But for me the K712 has more bass plus added clarity and detail over the Q701.

Nov 1, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #3,473 of 6,345
I think the K712 is pretty darn neutral the added bass is not so much as to affect that neutrality. You could Springer an amp like the Cyan C5 and use its bass button when You want more bass. But for me the K712 has more bass plus added clarity and detail over the Q701.

+1   The minor +3 dB on the K712s does not interfere at all with the adjacent frequencies.  The staging is a little more focused while still having that AKG expansiveness, at least to my ears.  The pads are far more comfortable, as is the headband, and the pads play a big role in the differences between the two.  As was noted earlier (or in the Q701 thread), the Q's pads on the K712s is less than optimal.  Just my $0.02

and my K712s are still for sale.

Nov 1, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #3,474 of 6,345
  I am Considering Upgrading From the Q701s to K712s for Better Low End Sound:

And what about K712 Pads for your Q701 ?

Nov 1, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #3,475 of 6,345
Which amp do you use?

Watching all movies.. but I am critical on hearing an open and envloping sound..   I am going out form a SoundBlaster Recon 3D (headphone out)
to a headphone amp.  (I don't use another DAC as the REcon 3D is already using its DAC).

A suggestions?   Schiit Modi? Asguard? O2? others?

Budget is $100-250

Nov 1, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #3,476 of 6,345

+1   The minor +3 dB on the K712s does not interfere at all with the adjacent frequencies.  The staging is a little more focused while still having that AKG expansiveness, at least to my ears.  The pads are far more comfortable, as is the headband, and the pads play a big role in the differences between the two.  As was noted earlier (or in the Q701 thread), the Q's pads on the K712s is less than optimal.  Just my $0.02

and my K712s are still for sale.

Was just curious why you have decided to sell your k712s, and keep your Q701s?:)

Nov 1, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #3,477 of 6,345
  Was just curious why you have decided to sell your k712s, and keep your Q701s?:)

It's a long tale, and I'd be happy to PM you the long version, but suffice it to say, I wanted to hear the difference and bought 'em used.  I realized that while I prefer them to my heavily modded and repaired Q701s, I only need one pair of AKGs, esp. when my HiFiMAN cans get most of my head time.  Since I wouldn't feel right selling my beat up (but perfectly functional) Q701s, I put the K712s up for sale at a significant discount to what I paid for them, esp. considering I probably only wore them for 10 hours or so.

Nov 1, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #3,478 of 6,345
So it definitely looks like manufacturaring has been outsourced? On AKGs site there is no "Made in Austra" text on the cans in the photos, nor in the description. Also, my local retailer who appears to sell the Austra-made version just upped the price by about 80€.

Nov 1, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #3,479 of 6,345
  So it looks like manufacturaring has been outsourced away from Austria? On AKGs site there is no "Made in Austra" text on the cans in the photos, nor in the description. Also, my local retailer who appears to sell the Austra-made version just upped the price by about 80€.

Seems similar to the Q701s.  Your local is a clever marketeer 
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 1, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #3,480 of 6,345
From the cutsheet PDF:
"Engineered in Austria, hand-crafted in Europe with highest attention to detail "

eh.

Quote:

Seems similar to the Q701s.  Your local is a clever marketeer 
evil_smiley.gif

I guess.

But I don't know if Thomann are being clever, because they just increased the price of K702 (no bump version) by approx. 50€
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back