The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Jan 8, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #2,461 of 6,349

I think that's very subjective.  To me it does some music and games perfectly, and others it lacks a bit, where the X1 makes a perfect fit.  But I could listen to all content with them just fine, they do great.
I'd certainly say it's like a shoe.  We all have different opinions on how we like our music / movies / games to sound, we all heart things just a little differently... just like we all have different feet, and different styles.  :) 

Definitely.  Tested so many new headphones this week, it's been very difficult deciding between them.  The only one that I was actually disappointed in was the HD650, and I think that was just because I had such high expectations.  I mean, it was very accurate, sounded great, but somewhat stale to my ears.  

Can't agree more. We all hear different xD

IMO the HD600 sounds better and better the longer you listen to it. At first, I wasn't a fan of their laid-back sound and the far too dark signature. After awhile, I start finding it to have great accuracy and soundstage but I won't buy headphones that sound great after sometime xD Not gonna change because of a pair of headphone I paid for

Jan 8, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #2,462 of 6,349
I probably didn't give the HD650 enough of a chance, but considering how great the others sound, I'm okay with that. 

But man, after having these K712 Pro's on for most of the day, I change my mind about it having just a subtle difference in comfort... it's a major improvement.  I have had no issue with leaving them on throughout the day.  I'd be in agony with the Q701 on this long.  No more (well, very very minor) pain in the cheeks from the hard pads squeezing my cheekbones, and definitely an improvement in the headband.   I'm happy with these.  Now onto finding the best solution to get virtual surround for my movies and games... that's been tough. 

Jan 8, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #2,463 of 6,349
  I probably didn't give the HD650 enough of a chance, but considering how great the others sound, I'm okay with that. 

But man, after having these K712 Pro's on for most of the day, I change my mind about it having just a subtle difference in comfort... it's a major improvement.  I have had no issue with leaving them on throughout the day.  I'd be in agony with the Q701 on this long.  No more (well, very very minor) pain in the cheeks from the hard pads squeezing my cheekbones, and definitely an improvement in the headband.   I'm happy with these.  Now onto finding the best solution to get virtual surround for my movies and games... that's been tough. 

I heard good things about ASUS DAC... 

Jan 8, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #2,464 of 6,349
  I heard good things about ASUS DAC... 

The Asus I hear is good for audio quality, but not so much for surround in movies.  I was thinking of going with the Sound Blaster Z, but my issue is that I have the Schiit Vali amp that I'd like to connect it to, and I hear that doesn't sound so great through the line out, and through stereo I'd be double amping.   So, not sure about movies.  I have a Schiit Modi too, and that works great with JRiver for virtual surround, but I can't use JRiver, since I need to use XBMC for my boblight setup.   As for gaming, I've been looking into DSS or DSS2, as I only game on consoles (PS4).  I don't need chat functionality.  

Jan 8, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #2,465 of 6,349

The Asus I hear is good for audio quality, but not so much for surround in movies.  I was thinking of going with the Sound Blaster Z, but my issue is that I have the Schiit Vali amp that I'd like to connect it to, and I hear that doesn't sound so great through the line out, and through stereo I'd be double amping.   So, not sure about movies.  I have a Schiit Modi too, and that works great with JRiver for virtual surround, but I can't use JRiver, since I need to use XBMC for my boblight setup.   As for gaming, I've been looking into DSS or DSS2, as I only game on consoles (PS4).  I don't need chat functionality.  

You can always pick up an optical DAC like the FiiO D03K and use that instead of the line out/HP out of the SB Z. 

FYI, the DSS2 doesn't have Dolby Heapdhone, only the DSS v1 does.

Jan 8, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #2,466 of 6,349

You can always pick up an optical DAC like the FiiO D03K and use that instead of the line out/HP out of the SB Z. 

FYI, the DSS2 doesn't have Dolby Heapdhone, only the DSS v1 does.

I see, thanks for the tip, that sounds like it would work.  So, I'd still get virtual surround through the SB Z if I output to optical?  Would there be any degradation to the audio quality / surround?  
I'd probably then do SB Z to FiiO D03K to Schiit Vali to AKG K712 Pro. 

As for DSS... stick to V1 for the best surround then?   I wonder if DSS would power the K712.  Probably have to run that through the Vali as well. 

Jan 8, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #2,467 of 6,349
I know that Skipstrike who posts on the Soundblaster Z series thread uses a SBZ > K712 pro and speaks highly of the combo. The K712 isn't as hard to drive as earlier AKG's I believe. (I may be wrong on this). At the very least you could buy both and see how you get on.

Jan 8, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #2,468 of 6,349

I see, thanks for the tip, that sounds like it would work. 

So, I'd still get virtual surround through the SB Z if I output to optical?  

Yes

Would there be any degradation to the audio quality / surround?  

No.  The signal will be digital coming out of the Sound Blaster, and it will already have the surround sound applied.  It's just a matter of converting it to analog with an optical DAC.

I'd probably then do SB Z to FiiO D03K to Schiit Vali to AKG K712 Pro. 

As for DSS... stick to V1 for the best surround then?   I wonder if DSS would power the K712.  Probably have to run that through the Vali as well. 

I would stick with the DSS v1.  As an added bonus you will able use the DSS with your PC if you want Dolby Headphone.  Just use the Sound Blaster's digital output have it encode Dolby Digital 5.1 for the DSS.

The DSS should give enough volume with the K712, but if you already have the Vali I would plug the DSS into that as well.  It should boost the K712's soundstage size a bit over just plugging into the DSS.

Jan 8, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #2,469 of 6,349
  I know that Skipstrike who posts on the Soundblaster Z series thread uses a SBZ > K712 pro and speaks highly of the combo. The K712 isn't as hard to drive as earlier AKG's I believe. (I may be wrong on this). At the very least you could buy both and see how you get on.

Seems to be about the same as the Q701.  I tested both side by side and didn't have to make any adjustments.  They sound about the same, with the K712 sounding just a little fuller, warmer, and a hell of a lot more comfortable.  
wink.gif

Perfect, thanks!   I shall pick up the SB Z + FiiO D03K (Well, more than like the Orei DA21X Premium - but all the same), and DSS V1 then.  DSSv1 will be cheaper anyway, so a definite plus. 

Jan 9, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #2,470 of 6,349
Just a quick post (and recent owner of the AKG K712 Pro headphones); for gaming I use the Turtle Beach EarForce DSP v1 as that has Headphone Dolby. I plug my Xbox 360 optical output into it, and then use a small 3.5 mm male to male interconnect to plug into my JDS Labs C5 amp.
Unfortunately the Xbox One does NOT have DolbyD output, so unless I can find a stereo/multichannel HDMI DSP device that can also be used for multichannel purposes for headphones (not actual multichannel headphones... >_>), I'm stuck. I know Essence has one for stereo but uncompressed HDMI input/output, but right now my DSS v1 is bring used: I set my Xbox One to Stereo DTS uncompressed, connect my optical TOSLINK to my EarForce DSS v1 and set that to bypass mode. Not impressed. Indeed, when I watch Netflix or other multichannel programming, I still use my 360.

My headphones are either Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro or AKG K712 for gaming (was Heir Audio 4.Ai in-ear monitors and AKG K701's, but mainly for multiplayer. however I usually listen to my own music if I play online multiplayer. I use the Beyerdynamic COP's for single player).

I got new gel pads for my aging AKG K701 (expensive at nearly £40 per earpad!), and a day later my AKG k712 arrived. I love both (the K701 is my first audiophile headphone) but the K701 has broken plastic straps and is not as good at bass texture and aplomb as my AKG K712.

I haven't fully burned in the K712's but I like listening to the minute changes as I play it, just like I did with my K701's.

My KEF M500 still reign supreme in pure musical bliss and balanced bass slam (in fact balanced frequencies top-to-bottom), but are not technical; they are not detail monsters but music is so beautiful to listen to through them. I hope KEF make a serious circumaural headphone!

I used my Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro's for about a month with music but did not like their darker intonation on music and they had nothing over my AKG K701's or my Heir Audio 4.Ai in-ear monitors (I didn't own the M500 until Dec '13).
They are relegated to TV/Films/Gaming duties.

My Heir Audio 4.Ai’s are like mini AKG K701's with more musical presence (but not by much), and I loved using them for everything until I got my KEF M500.
I don't like the fiddly nature of inserting them in my ears as I have odd ear canals.
I'll be upgrading to Noble Audio Kaiser 10 later this year.
I still enjoy them, but the KEF M500 on-ear headphones are just amazing. Then I got my new pads and headphones below; keep reading!

The AKG K712's improve on many things over my K701's except airiness and top sparkle, but due to the weightier bass response they are not as sibilant (though they are sharper than all my headphones).

For years I used my old NuForce Icon amp (23W PSU) and both JDS Labs c421 and later C5 to power my old AKG K701's, but stopped using them about Feb '13.
After I got my CEntrance HiFi-M8, I still didn't use them until I got new pads, but then found out about the gel pads.

Late Dec '13, I purchased the pads and the AKG K712's just 'cos. I blame this hobby and awesome headphone deals.
Listening to both through my CEntrance HiFi-M8 is a lesson in musical freedom, inner peace and exhilaration. I never knew what my old K701's could do, never mind the newer K712's!

I'll never get rid of the K701’s due to sentimental value, but they are now just my bedside headphones, but will remain the headphone I compare everything else against (again, they are my first audiophile headphone, so they hold a special place to me).

Really happy atm.

However, I wish I could mod my K712's into balanced headphones. Is there a reputable place to do this (especially in the UK?).

Also, I'm still saving for the Beyerdynamic Custom One Tesla (to replace my COP's), Noble Audio Kaiser 10, and either Audeze LCD-XC or Mr Speakers Alpha Dogs (depending on my budget later this year).
This also includes recables from Toxic Cables.

[Ed. I forgot to mention, the AKG K712's are the most COMFORTABLE headphones I have ever worn, followed by my KEF M500's, Beyerdynamic COP's, and AKG K701's with original foam pads.

With gel earpads on my K701's they are far nicer to wear, but the pads on the underside of the headband will forever push them into uncomfortable territory.

All universal in-ear earphones or monitors have had odd comfort values for me.
My old Etymotic ER-6i were very comfortable with triple flange or foam ear tips.
Both my Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pro and Triple.Fi 10 Pro IEM's were horrible to wear, but I <3 the latter's sonic's.
Heir Audio 4.Ai’s are comfortable...ish.

This is all mainly to do with my left ear canal being slightly larger than my right, but all ear tips bug me.
It's not to do with irritation really, just fit and keeping the monitors in place.
I need to move on from Universal monitors and go into Custom IEM's, hence Noble Audio Kaiser 10.
As I am already getting balanced Toxic Cables for my 4.Ai’s, which was ordered before the announcement of both the Kaiser 10 and JH Audio Roxanne, I'm sticking to the Kaiser 10. I'll also gave a personal, unique, design.

To me, both CIEM's are 'alternative equivalents' of each other.
'Equivalent' because they have same number of drivers except the bass drivers. Here JH Audio employs 4 small bass armatures and Noble Audio uses two gigantic bass armature drivers. Thus they are equivalent of each other.
'Alternative' as each designer has the same goal, but they both, separately, reached it in their own ways, from different tunings to different partnerships with armature manufacturers to technology. JH Audio wins with Freqphase and tunable audio on the cable, Noble Audio for designing cosmetics and 'The Wizards' unique take on audio tuning.

Both Dr Moulton and Jerry Harvey are kings of CIEM's in my opinion!

Sorry, this is about AKG K712 isn't it? Got sidetracked... :S].

^_^

[Edited 03/01/13 @17:00 UK GMT: Went through the post and did some spelling, grammar and sentence structure changes to make better sense of what I wrote. I expanded on the gaming paragraph and cost of the gel earpads also].

Jan 9, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #2,471 of 6,349
Thank you @SaLX! I don't write in forums often but thought to pitch in my headphone usage and very short comparisons between my headphone gear. :D

Jan 9, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #2,472 of 6,349

Had mostly the same findings going from q701 to K712 myself! However, I had the headband problem pretty much sorted by using a baby seatbelt cover.

If you want to explore options, check out my virtual surround guide in my "If I Knew Now..." thread linked in my signature (which I'm soon updating with an SBX demo). Personally, I'm having surprisingly good success with SB Z + K712, but I like double amping the headphone-out on the card. The soundcard then just becomes a pre-amp. External DACs are entirely feasible, but I intend to wait till I can justify splashing out big for an upgrade before doing that.

For your X-Bone'd console, or more politely XBO, the only devices currently compatible with creating virtual surround with it from a multichannel signal are receivers that can create virtual surround from HDMI. It's expected that EVENTUALLY Microsoft will re-add Dolby 5.1 out as an option to the optical outputs, but who knows when? Most surround processors can kinda fake surround from stereo input, it actually sounds pretty nice but has very poor accuracy.

I have a DSS v1 and like it fine, the DSS 2 uses some virtual surround created by Cirrus Logic but the head-fi'er I've seen who owned one liked it. I'd use an option from Creative whenever possible, though I'm really looking forward to games making use of the 3D virtual surround built-in to the PS4. More details on all this in my "If I Knew Then..." thread.

Jan 9, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #2,473 of 6,349
Had mostly the same findings going from q701 to K712 myself! However, I had the headband problem pretty much sorted by using a baby seatbelt cover.

If you want to explore options, check out my virtual surround guide in my "If I Knew Now..." thread linked in my signature (which I'm soon updating with an SBX demo). Personally, I'm having surprisingly good success with SB Z + K712, but I like double amping the headphone-out on the card. The soundcard then just becomes a pre-amp. External DACs are entirely feasible, but I intend to wait till I can justify splashing out big for an upgrade before doing that.

For your X-Bone'd console, or more politely XBO, the only devices currently compatible with creating virtual surround with it from a multichannel signal are receivers that can create virtual surround from HDMI. It's expected that EVENTUALLY Microsoft will re-add Dolby 5.1 out as an option to the optical outputs, but who knows when? Most surround processors can kinda fake surround from stereo input, it actually sounds pretty nice but has very poor accuracy.

I have a DSS v1 and like it fine, the DSS 2 uses some virtual surround created by Cirrus Logic but the head-fi'er I've seen who owned one liked it. I'd use an option from Creative whenever possible, though I'm really looking forward to games making use of the 3D virtual surround built-in to the PS4. More details on all this in my "If I Knew Then..." thread.

Thanks, I'll definitely have a read through your thread.  

No XBONE here though, you may be confusing me with someone else.  
wink.gif
  I have only the PS4 at the moment.  I didn't know about it having 3D virtual surround built in though... I'll have to have a look into that!
I did order the DSSv1 yesterday, but wanted to do some more reading to see if there was anything better for me than the SBZ.  I'd hate to have to return it if it doesn't work out... I think after all of the headphones I just returned to Amazon, I'm wearing out my welcome.  

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #2,474 of 6,349
Evshrug I agree with you, and I know of two such devices for HDMI audio. One of them is Essence HDACC, but it can only decode HDMI uncompressed stereo only. Here's a link from Digital Audio Review:

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2013/11/essence-hi-def-dac-w-hdmi-input-for-699/

Microsoft kinda did state that they would re-implememt Dolby D or some sort of alternative for legacy TOSLINK devices, but I would like to see a HDMI receiver that can process uncompressed HDMI 5.1, and play this through headphones.
I'm sure either Microsoft or a third party will do their own version, but without competition or, possibly, no demand, I may be out of luck.

I'm not sure if the LX versions of the HiFi-M8 would work with the Xbox One, so if anyone has that combo can they report back? I might then invest in a FiiO for my Xbox One for better audio, or just stick bypassing the processor in my EarForce DSS v1.

I'm also waiting on Polk's Xbox headphones (the 4 Shot for my Xbox One) and see if that has anything special, especially in terms of sound processing (if at all), but otherwise I'll get the upcoming AntLion MidMic 4.0 mic and attach that to any of my headphones.
http://www.modmic.com/blogs/news/11157241-major-4-0-update-and-stock-info

I do own the Custom Headset Gear for my Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro headphones, but cannot find a suitable way to deploy them in either my Xbox systems without a mess. :frowning2:

Anyway, still enjoying my AKG K712 headphones with my CEntrance HiFiM8 4XL, playing lossless albums from artists such as Nine Inch Nails, Massive Attack, Gesaffelstein, Aphex Twin, and Symphonic Fantasies Tokyo live CD (I own the normal version too!).

I bet the AKG K812 will sound killer, but I'd rather invest that money into the Audeze LCD-XC or LCD-X, to have a great planar (or, as I said earlier, if budget constraints are such I can't afford an Audeze, Mr Speakers Alpha Dogs are a great alternative.).

:D

Jan 9, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #2,475 of 6,349
Will be extremely interested if someone can compare the K712 and MD3.2! I'm planning to settle with only one open and closed heaphone. My Annie will for sure be my open headphone but the closed headphone... :frowning2: 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back